Quantcast

Getting the Paint off my bike...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by K2BikesOwn
Ok, so I need to do a full repaint of my bike. Any suggestion as to how to get the paint off? Do I really want to sand it???

Thanks

You can use a liquid paint stripper or get a wire wheel for a drill and remove the paint that way. If its steel you can bead blast.

R

RideMonkey

Liquid paint stripper is a mess. Can an alu frame be sandblasted? If so I'd strip it down and take it to a painter for a sand blast. Paint removal can be an ugly job.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Heavy Body paint remover. I forget who makes it but its fast. Brush on the gel like goo and watch the paint bubble off. You'll probably have to reapply a few times to get it all and maybe pick out the crevices but I've stripped a couple frames with this stuff and it takes only a hour or so to strip a bare frame. But getting the frame bead blasted doesn't cost too much and most painters can do that for you.

liquid is a mess but may be the best. use a kiddy pool for 5-10 $ as a tub, get rubber gloves, in the garage, make sure good venting/air flow in area.

sandblasting alumn I belive is not ideal. It is too soft, same goes for grinding tools, they will modify the thickness of the walls. bad bad thing especially if you get air or climb like snickyryder...

I ended up had sanding my old steel frame while watching TV. did half of it to the steel then frigged the rest and painted (go Krylon!) it mee self. Dont forget clear coating.

.... but, talk to a machinist and to a good autobody place ... or your manufacture of frame about what they recomend.

remeber, my ideas are worth what you paid for it!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ridemonkey
Liquid paint stripper is a mess. Can an alu frame be sandblasted? If so I'd strip it down and take it to a painter for a sand blast. Paint removal can be an ugly job.
I'm not sure with aluminum since its a softer metal I would think it would pit to easily. But thats not a bad idea, send it out to be done.

gwat

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Fernie, BC, Canada
You shouldn't sand blast an aluinum frame. BUT....most sandblasting places can do bead blasting with plastic or glass beads. Plastic beads are preferable for aluminum. I had a frame bead blasted and it turned out pretty good. It gives it a nice finish, it would look really cool if you had the frame bead blasted and then clear coated. If you don't know of a bead blasting place near you, ask at an auto body shop, and they can probably give you the name of a few places.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i just removed the paint from some rockshox lowers, i opted chemical but didnt realize the stuff is TOXIC and just slapped it on with my hands, then after a few seconds WOW

that hurt

now after a lot of skincare lotion i can bend my fingers ok again,
still the paint goes off easily,
if you dont mind the mess and the smell of it, go chem, its damn cheap too

v

Originally posted by vitox
i just removed the paint from some rockshox lowers, i opted chemical but didnt realize the stuff is TOXIC and just slapped it on with my hands, then after a few seconds WOW

that hurt

now after a lot of skincare lotion i can bend my fingers ok again,
still the paint goes off easily,
if you dont mind the mess and the smell of it, go chem, its damn cheap too

v
should we call you stubby now that your fingers have fallen off?

oui, that must of left a mark!

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
i used a liquid stripper (nirtomors) to do my alu frame a few months ago, it worked a treat, but wear rubber gloves and goggles, because if that stuff gets on your, it burns! :angryfire i dread to think what it would do to your eyes.

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
I've been painting for over 20 years and what I do is chemicaly strip the frame then glassbead it. Any machine shop should be able to glassbead it for you. I use stripper first just to cut down on the time in the blast cabinet. I just redid my Big Hit and polished the swingarm. I'll post pics ASAP if interested.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I striped the paint off my GT in college with JASCO paint stripper. It is a gel form and I bought a cheap brusk to apply it with. WEAR gloves! Stuff burns. I was slopping the gel onto my frame and a bit of gel dripped onto my wrist without me noticing......ever see a cartoon when the 'toon smells something burning but doesn't know it was him? Similiar but I kept thinking the sting was mental then decided to take a look......OUCH!

Also use them in a WELL VENTALATED spot as mentioned above. I thought I had it covered fan on either end of a room (1 int he window and 1 in the doorway.....not enough very drunk by the end of the job.

The stripper with multi coats and cleanings took all but the welds paint off, I carefully used some fine grit sandpaper to get it out of hte welds. I then washed the frame with water to get the rest of the stripper off and then with fine steel wool polished it up. My GT was almost brown until a little light rubbing with the steel wool. Then I finished it up with aluminum polish to give is an almost chrome apperance. I actually waxed it at the end. THe expereince was fun.

Note - the paint stripper did not work in freezing temperatures. at room tempature it works great so if you do it in a garage use a heater for the area to help along.

Hope this helps,