Quantcast

Ghetto chainstay protector - DIY

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Hey guys! I want to share with you an idea. I was browsing some bike galleries yeasterday and I'm shocked how many people still uses a chainstay protector made out of an old tube and some zip ties.

IMHO it looks terrible, weights a ton and offers questionable reliability. If You don't have a dedicated protector for Your frame (or can't afford one) I suggest using a heat-shrink tube and a heat gun (or some other source of heat).
You simply cut a piece of that tube, pull it onto the chainstay and use some heat. You can put some soft material inside (soundproofing), before applying the heat. Heat-shrink tubes comes in different sizes, colors (clear as well) and they are super cheap.

It is super light, stealthy as fuk, lasts forever and reduces the noise as well. You can do it on some single pivot bikes and horst link type bikes (You have to slip the tube onto the CS - it is impossible with a triangulated CS).

I know that there are some heat-shrink tubes with a glue applied on the inner side, so there is a chance that it would work with triangulated swingarms as well (cut it across, wrap it arond the CS tube and then use the glue to make it a one piece again, use the heat). I haven't tried it so I have no idea if that would work, but it's worth a shot.

Here is a photo of mine:
5m.jpg

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Do you have aftermarket round chainstay tubes for sale?

Straight bolt on replacements I mean.

Cuz if not............. ;)
Why would You need a round CS tubes? Those tubes change their shape accordingly as you heat them up.

Yeah 3m stuff rocks. I'm not sure how much it costs in the USA, but in here it is like +30$ for that stuff... and that's kinda expencive compared to 1$ heat-shrink tube. But If money is not an issue, than 3m 2228 tape is gr8.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah 3m stuff rocks. I'm not sure how much it costs in the USA, but in here it is like +30$ for that stuff... and that's kinda expencive compared to 1$ heat-shrink tube. But If money is not an issue, than 3m 2228 tape is gr8.
Ah, yeah, it's cheaper than that here luckily.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I found the 3M 2228 a complete mess / disaster to get off, but maybe mine had been sitting around too long or something? Getting it off after a Whistler season involved turpentine and a lot of horrible black stuff as I dissolved it off, it didn't peel off cleanly and left a whole bunch of sticky residue. I'm guessing it was just me though, my bikes since then have come with factory rubber guards so haven't had to try again.

For anyone using velcro (I still use it to touch up areas), I found the genuine branded stuff has the best adhesive, and giving it a few support wraps of paper masking tape along its length (temporarily - remove after a day) helps hold it there until the adhesive bonds completely. I used to have problems with it coming off curved surfaces, but after doing that I found it actually stayed put really well.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I found the 3M 2228 a complete mess / disaster to get off, but maybe mine had been sitting around too long or something? Getting it off after a Whistler season involved turpentine and a lot of horrible black stuff as I dissolved it off, it didn't peel off cleanly and left a whole bunch of sticky residue. I'm guessing it was just me though, my bikes since then have come with factory rubber guards so haven't had to try again.
Huh. I have found that if it's been on for a while it can be a little hard to peel off cleanly in once piece, but have always been able to get it off with a little picking, without having to resort to solvents.

My preferred solution is just to not care if my chainstay protection is a little dinged up and leave it on for the life of the frame though. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That 2228 stuff is definitely a bitch to get off. I've never had any problems with the material itself, just the adhesive goo left behind.

But I love it. I put a big thick strip down the underside of my downtube on plastic frames and the bottom across the BB shell on all frames regardless of material.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
A buddy who works for Grainger randomly gave me some 2242 "rubber electrical tape", along with other trade show type trinkets. So far, I've actually been very impressed- I'm using it in little random spots where the stock molded units need to cover but don't. Sticks really well, and is about 1/32" thick. No word on removal yet...
image.jpeg

Last edited: