Quantcast

Giant OCR1 -vs- Spec Alez Elite -vs- Trek 1500

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, I went into all my local shops looking for the best $1000 road bike. Seems like there's a lot between $800 and $900, then prices jump to about $1100, so $1100 is my new target price.

I checked out Fuji, Cannondale, Jamis, Trek, Giant, and Specialized. Of everything I saw, I liked the Giant OCR1, Specialized Alez Elite, and the Trek 1500 the best.

The Giant seems to have the best components (good), and the Trek has a lot of Bontrager stuff (bad). All are close enough in price so money isn't an issue. This is my first road bike, so I don't really know what to look for in a frame. Is there one bike that is better than the rest, or one that is the worst?

Any recommendations between these 3 bikes? I go about 180lbs, if it matters. If there's something else I should be looking at for $1000 or so, feel free to add it to the conversation.

Thanks.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
Any recommendations between these 3 bikes?
Sure... none :)

Ya knows the most important thing is fit, so test 'em out, forget what your riding and focus on what feels best. That said, how come you didn't consider a steel bike like the Fuji Roubaix (~$900)?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
Sure... none :)

Ya knows the most important thing is fit, so test 'em out, forget what your riding and focus on what feels best. That said, how come you didn't consider a steel bike like the Fuji Roubaix (~$900)?
I did - I rode a handfull of bikes, including the Robaix. Of them all, the 3 I mentioned felt the best, but it's hard to tell much from a 5 minute ride around the parking lot.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Just got an OCR1 a few weeks ago, only got 50miles on it right now seeing as my work schedule isn't allowing me to ride that often. Going for another ride this Sunday though, love it so far. Adjustable stem I am not a fan of and will be swapped out with FSA OS parts in the near future.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
You'll have a tough time finding a better spec (Ultegra STI and der with 105 brakes and front der FSA 2 piece crankset, ZERTZ bars, carbon ZERTZ seatpost, multiwidth saddle (fit option) and a stem system with 120 positions (fit option), than the Allez Elite, and keep in mind that the frame is the same E5 SLX that was the S-Works frame as little as three years ago. A nice trickle-down of performance to the people.

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
You will also notice that the Giant's frame is heavier than the Specialized Allez series. In addition if you get a 2005 Allez Elite it will be the Columbus SLX tubing that was previously only available on the higher level Specialized frames.

Advantages to the Giant will be that you are getting Ultegra STI shifters, frnt & rear der. versus the 105 on the Specialized Elite.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
I second the Specialized, of course only if it fits you well. Make sure someone there does a good job of fitting you up whichever bike you get.