Quantcast

Giro Raid

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
How stupid - there was a hotel raid today and one of those altitude tents was confiscated. It isn't against UCI or WADA rules to use them, but it's against some weird Italian rule.

Italian drug squad seize altitude tent after hotel raid
By Tim Maloney, European Editor in Rossano Veneto

Following a request from the Nas (Nucleo Anti-Stupefacente) Carabineri brigade of Firenze, the Nas Carabineri of Padova raided the Hotel Canova in Sandrigo of the Davitamon-Lotto and Saunier Duval-Prodir teams. The search warrants came from the prosecutor of Vicenza, Paolo Pecori, and the raid and hotel search took three hours between 4-7pm. From the Davitamon-Lotto team, an Alti Trainer hypobaric chamber was seized and the team doctor Daniel De Neve was brought to the Padova Nas Carabineri headquarters for further interrogation.

Although hypobaric chambers are not prohibited under UCI or WADA rules, they are illegal under Italian law 376, an arcane rule that prohibits use of any method to increase blood values for sport competition. When asked about the Alti Trainer at the post-race press conference today in Rossano Veneto, McEwen said, "I don't know anything about this...I don't use it, but some of my teammates do. It's a machine that simulates the effect of altitude."

No word yet whether the use of this hypobaric device will have any further consequences for Davitamon-Lotto, but team director Frison thought that the entire raid was "ridiculous". But RCS Event Director Angelo Zomegnan was not jumping to any conclusion on the affair, explaining that "We've only heard about this raid from the media and the hypobaric tent was seized. Under international rules, this is not illegal, but Italian law, it is illegal."

The Nas room raiders also took two evidence bags of medicine flasks from their search of Saunier Duval-Prodir's rooms. "They took some flasks of sugar solution...it's all product that we have declared. However, we are fed up with these kinds of moves (by Nas) and tomorrow morning, team directors and doctors will meet to see how we can stand up to this," explained Saunier Duval-Prodir's team director Pietro Algeri. Their team doctor Maria Sagasti was also taken to the Padova Nas barracks for further interrogation.

A further determination of the situation will undoubtedly evolve as Giro d'Italia management looks deeper into the raid and the conclusions of the Nas investigation.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wish the US had Italy's problems: we have a crack and heroin epidemic, they have a problem with oxygen tents.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I wonder how many, if any, other nations have a law like that in effect. Considering an item like that probably prevents some athletes to resorting to other outlets, I would be quite tolerant of the tent.:confused:
Silly.

Anywho, the REAL Giro begins!!!

I read that there is snow on the Stelvio, so there's a possiblity they may cancel that climb...that would suck. Not much you can do when Mother Nature intervenes.