Quantcast

Giving money to beggars

Giving money to beggars

• Yes, they need my money and it makes me feel better...I am somewhat of a hero.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No, I have to work to make money, you don't see me begging.

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Here is a bizarre rule of thumb I follow...A person who was homeless for 3 years told me this.......If a "beggar" has a shaven face or decent shoes on (no bread bags) pass them up. These are 2 of the tale tale signs they probably have a small stash of cash already or are just plain faking it...my 2 cents

Dark Helmet

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
So Cal
I am all for helping the hungry and the needy, but that's where this whole thing gets out of control. Unfortunately, most people you see with cardboard signs and such are not physically and mentally handicapped, just focking lazy and want the system or the rest of us to carry their load; I say b.s. to that, let them all go out and get jobs like the rest of us. I have much more respect for hard working cultures (i.e. Latin people) that are willing to bare the hot sun and the cold and wait to be picked up near Home Depots and other hardware stores. At least these people are willing to EARN their $50-$100 a day, which is probably what most of those panhandlers make in a day. If I think someone looks malnutrioned and looks to be in need of food, I have gone to buy them food. A couple of times, I was actually rejected for the food offer, give me a big frickin break!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Dark Helmet
I am all for helping the hungry and the needy, but that's where this whole thing gets out of control. Unfortunately, most people you see with cardboard signs and such are not physically and mentally handicapped, just focking lazy and want the system or the rest of us to carry their load; I say b.s. to that, let them all go out and get jobs like the rest of us. I have much more respect for hard working cultures (i.e. Latin people) that are willing to bare the hot sun and the cold and wait to be picked up near Home Depots and other hardware stores. At least these people are willing to EARN their $50-$100 a day, which is probably what most of those panhandlers make in a day. If I think someone looks malnutrioned and looks to be in need of food, I have gone to buy them food. A couple of times, I was actually rejected for the food offer, give me a big frickin break!
that is my thought EXACTLY.

almost EVERYONE can work.

next time you see someone with a sign that says "will work for for" offer them some yard work. tell em you'll pay em 8 bucks an hour or something.

bet they pass it up.

having worked almost EVERY crappy job you could think of myself, i find it hard to have simpathy for those that CAN work and choose not to.

I'm in no way implying that everyone w/ a sign or everyone on the street deserves no respect.