Quantcast

Glenwood Springs Info

Nov 24, 2017
hey!
long time reader- first time poster. used the high power ridemonkey search engine to try and learn more about glenwood springs, CO for potential riding opportunities on a family trip coming up later in the summer. got me most of the info i was looking for, but was curious if anyone would recommend a bike shop in the area for a rental. itll be more of a family trip (me carrying a carseat, pack n play, luggage through airport) with potential to go ride at some point, so im not even trying to bring my bike along. also have been told snowmass wouldnt be worth it- "its a great place to go ride with your wife" was the quote, but dude only rode the lift access stuff while there- idk if there's additional forest service trails (or whatever) you can access from the top as well. Or maybe Vail is a similar proximity to glenwood, with more options? Resorts are definitely going to have a better variety of rentals is my assumption....

anyways- anyone who has some info, itd be appreciated. and if anyone's got jokes, those are good too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Be in eagle

Ride in eagle

be one with eagle

Especially with kids. All kinds of building going on in that area, plus an already substantial trail network.

Mountain Pedaler is a good shop. Very involved. They wouldn't take beer or money from me when needing a crank puller about 5 minutes after they closed. Those guys do a lot in town.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Check out Trailforks or MTBProject for trails around Glenwood. There are plenty. Eagle is good, has great trails. Yes, I would say Snowmass is worth it. They hold enduro races there these days and used to do DH races (and XC). Awesome terrain, lots of lush greenery, aspens, and maybe even some loam if you're lucky.

Not sure who told you it's good to ride w/ wife? But Snowmass is legit, I wouldn't bring my wife there to ride lol. I wouldn't mess w/ Vail since Snowmass is just up the road and just as good IMO.

There is plenty of XC trails around Aspen/Snowmass too. Drop your wife and kids off at the local dispensary (there are a ton of them in Aspen) and then go for a ride ;)

A really great ride that is also shuttleable (make your wife shuttle you before she hits the dispensary in Aspen) is a trail from Snowmass to Aspen called the Government Trail. It starts on Snowmass, crosses through Buttermilk and lands in Aspen. Look that up. It does close for wildlife migration at some point, not sure when tho. Snowmass should also have bike rentals too.

But I'd try the shop Kidwoo mentions first. Get the details from those dudes and go from there...

Nov 24, 2017
Thanks @SylentK.
I had come across the XC trail map for Snowmass and noticed the Govt Trail, as well as a grip of other options. Good bike shop recommendations are where i'll def kick things off, so that advice is great @kidwoo...

Not sure who told you it's good to ride w/ wife? But Snowmass is legit, I wouldn't bring my wife there to ride lol. I wouldn't mess w/ Vail since Snowmass is just up the road and just as good IMO.
its a buddy of mine who is a pro mtn biker- who probably looks at trails like they're a bit easier than the average rider- which is why im casting the knowledge net a bit wider and asking around.

thx again for the tips fellas.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Never been to Snowmass, Vail wasn't bad, some of the trails you need to pedal uphill from the lift to get to. Some fun flowy trails and the opportunity for alot of Vertical feet in a single day.
:cheers:You should check out the eagle diner