Quantcast

Global Warming my a$$....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know about his ass, but Chang's won't like it too much considering his city is on the waterfront (on a nasty faultline no less) combined with lack of Ozone over his neck of the woods.

Ugh, I should have used sunblock when I was riding around there...

Danger ahead from clean air and thin ozone
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10362387
04.01.06 1.00pm

New Zealand's clean air and thin ozone layer means we are receiving about 40 per cent more dangerous cancer-causing ultraviolet radiation than North Americans at corresponding latitudes, a leading atmospheric researcher says.

National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (Niwa) scientist Richard McKenzie said joint research by Niwa and North American scientists had found New Zealand's summer UV levels were as if the country was actually positioned 450km nearer the equator and 1000m higher in altitude, a Wellington daily newspaper reported.

The research findings, to be published in the international journal Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, investigated the UV levels in New Zealand.

"It's no doubt an important factor in causing the high rates of skin cancer we have here," Dr McKenzie was reported as saying.

New Zealand has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world.

"UV radiation in New Zealand is only high for its latitude, which is important because most of the people who live here are lighter-skinned and therefore more at risk," Dr McKenzie told the newspaper.

The country's clean air and thinner ozone layer contributed to the risk and helped explain the much higher ultraviolet levels than in North America, where greater pollution blocks more of the rays.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
syadasti said:
I don't know about his ass, but Chang's won't like it too much considering his city is on the waterfront (on a nasty faultline no less) combined with lack of Ozone over his neck of the woods.

Ugh, I should have used sunblock when I was riding around there...
Yeah, we are always careful to wear a bunch of sunscreen and not be too stupid about hanging around in the midday sun. Still, the air is really clean and we get awesome sunsets.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
syadasti said:
Chag only mentioned one sampling site as evidence which doesn't really prove his point.

You'd see a more valid pattern if it was a review study looking at cores from both Northern and Southern sites ice cores, tree ring sampling, marine sediments, fossils, and other CO2 indicators.
See now this what I'm talking about, solid evidence of a global trend :blah:

Current Warming Period Is Longest in 1,200 Years, Study Says
Sara Goudarzi
for National Geographic News
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/02/0209_060209_warming.html

February 9, 2006

It's not normal, a new study says of the current global warming period.

Researchers analyzed tree rings, ice cores, fossils, and other "proxy climate records" and found that the present warming phase has lasted longer and affected a broader area than any other such period in the last 1,200 years.

The two English researchers behind the study reached their conclusion after studying proxy records from 14 sites around the globe. Each of these records shows how its local environment changed over time.

The researchers set out to identify extended periods of warming and cooling that occurred during the past several centuries and affected different regions of the planet at roughly same time.

The study, conducted by Timothy Osborn and Keith Briffa from the University of East Anglia in England, will be reported in tomorrow's issue of the journal Science...

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
USA has more oil than Saudi Arabia !
We need to extract this oil in Colorado & those other places.That place in Alaska where it looks like an iced over Walmart parking lot...
I want to kick an environmentalist's ass,it will make me feel better.
Cost's me $78 to fill my 35 gallon tank. Yeah i drive a 4x4 lifted,etc but am i forced to buy a wimpy ghey econbox because of the environmentalist...
Geo Metro here i come.A real chick mobile !

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ok you greenie weenies... unplug your house from the electrical grid, sell your auto, don't buy any more plastic, metal or glass things or packaging, and then you can talk about caring about global warming, m'kay..?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
bigdrop05 said:
I think we have a winner here folks! Can we keep him this time? Huh huh, can we? The last ones got worn out a little too fast...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was gonna go with "water in my gas tank" :D

Seems a bit circuitous though. That ethanol should be mixed in my grape drank, not needlessly burned into more filthy horrible sinful carbon gases. Why fuel a car when you can fuel a party?

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
We need to extract this oil in Colorado & those other places.That place in Alaska where it looks like an iced over Walmart parking lot...
I want to kick an environmentalist's ass,it will make me feel better.
Cost's me $78 to fill my 35 gallon tank. Yeah i drive a 4x4 lifted,etc but am i forced to buy a wimpy ghey econbox because of the environmentalist...
Geo Metro here i come.A real chick mobile !
Honorable mention in the "Legends of teh RM" thread...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Equally disturbing. Climate change does not necessarily equate to warming, it does equate to instability, which is kind of worse.
I don't have enough data/knowledge to judge whether these polar air mass oscillations are disturbing or not but the asymmetric reporting of this situation in popular media is disturbing indeed.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't have enough data/knowledge to judge whether these polar air mass oscillations are disturbing or not but the asymmetric reporting of this situation in popular media is disturbing indeed.
It's climate, not regional seasonal weather. Global averages have been breaking records year after year. Arctic ice is at record minmiums, etc, etc. This is clear science, media can only fail in acting like there's significant uncertainty in the field - there simply isn't.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201611

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It's climate, not regional seasonal weather. Global averages have been breaking records year after year. Arctic ice is at record minmiums, etc, etc. This is clear science, media can only fail in acting like there's significant uncertainty in the field - there simply isn't.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201611
Great job attacking something I have not said.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The jig is up

The Climate and Health Summit, set for Feb. 14-16, was canceled last month. After media reports began to appear Monday, the CDC issued a statement saying it was looking at rescheduling the meeting, given budget constraints and potential overlap with the November conference
You can only scam people for so long, thanks Donald.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The massive (predicted) biofeedback loops have started to kick in now.

City councils down here have now started to ban/block coastal developments and insurance companies are now looking to either refuse to insure or ramp up insurance payments or put climate change clauses into contracts in NZ.

The Alaskan tundra is warming so quickly it has become a net emitter of carbon dioxide ahead of schedule, a new study finds.
Yeah, but that's in Alaska. No one lives there.