Quantcast

~~ GMT Monday - 4 day weekend continues ~~

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Happy MONDAY, monkeys! Another DAY OFF for me and the wife! :weee: I think every day should be a day off imo while we still collect paychecks. It's been a good weekend so far. Road rides and eats Friday, MTB Saturday. Road riding planned for today, too. Everyone have a good weekend out there??

Yesterday was largely uneventful, though we did pick up a new dog with plans to keep her. So far, so good! She can already do stairs, she loves being pet, and her teeth chatter when she is happy, which seems to be anytime we pet her. Way too cute. Her first night off the track last night, she allowed us 8+ hours of sleep. Ahhhh, sleep. We're leaning towards calling her "Bloo."

:weee:

You monkeys have a good Monday.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Intense day on the water Saturday. My son and I were anchored up on Dawson's Creek(yes...there really is a Dawson's Creek, and no, we didn't see any of the cast members) trying to catch some flounder. We were both being amused by watching a 400lb man-whale trying to ride a jet-ski.

Man-whale's friends were on a nearby beach about 100yds away also being amused by man-whale's antics. They were all obviously hammered and had been out there in the 100-degree heat all day. None of them had noticed one of their friends had passed out while floating around in the water and had gone under. I heard an "Oh sh*t" and turned around to see two of them dragging their buddy's lifeless body up onshore.

I dropped my rod and immediately dialed 911 to get the EMT's on the way and yelled over to them to get CPR started while I un-anchored the boat to get there. Another boat that was closer saw what was transpiring, and they moved in. A woman in the front of that boat hit the beach like a fvcking boss and started attempts to revive him. She worked on him until first responders got there about 5min later.

I never saw the guy move the entire time. Limp and lifeless.

After the ambulance took him off and everyone departed, the boat with the lady in it and I got a chance to talk. They only could manage a weak pulse when he left, so they weren't sure what the outcome could be.

Drinking, heat and water don't mix, folks. Be careful.

Never caught any flounder.....kharma was wrecked after that.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Saw a couple nasty crashes while watching the downtown crits Saturday night for the Cascade Cycling Classic. Ooof.

Mountain biked both days wouldn't you know.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Was up until almost 1am last night helping a new neighbor move in, well sort of. One of the old ladies is his building told him that there was plenty of parking on the lower road of our complex, so he drove his 24ft moving truck with car trailer down the hill into a dead end. We spent over 2 hours helping him unload the car, pulling the trailer up the hill backwards (thankfully he has a Ford F350 turbo diesel) and then backing the truck up the hill and out of the neighborhood.
oor guy hadn't slept in 20 hours and was just about to break down. It didn't help that some of the assholes up the street were bitching at him for making so much noise. The worst part was that right when we had got the truck up the hill, his cat took a isht in the cab.

So I'm trying to catch up on some sleep now...

Otherwise today is chores, maybe a ride, and looking into what classes I will need to take/re-take at a JC before I can transfer to a state school for engineering. Wifey's on board with me going back to school, so it looks like that's the plan.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Morning all. Went to a wedding this weekend for a good friend of mine. Good times. 4 day week for me (SCORE) because I have another wedding to go to this weekend for my sister in law down in SLO.

This weekend I also found out my dog has to have a surgery next week that involves making a large incision down the whole side of her face to gain access underneath her ear drum to see if they can find what is causing chronic ear infections. The vet is concerned that something (maybe a fox tail) made it past her ear drum and the only way to check is the surgery. Even with my wife's 50% discount, it is going to be $800+.

Besides all of that, I leave for Whislter in 12 days!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That is a lot (for me). Just want my dog to be ok.
I have a different policy for our pet. If we are on vacation and some kind of emergency comes up, $2k max unless you can get a hold of me. If not, put it down and I will adopt a new pet.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Woke up to a loud as hell thunder clap at 4am. Got up, looked outside, didn't look too bad, so I went back to bed. 2 minutes later, another loud crack followed by a monster downpour.

Tossed on some shorts and ran outside to shove the bike in the garage before it got soaked, then tried to get some sleep. Sucked, but at least the ride in was dry this morning.

What is with the 60's and rain Portland Summer of 2011? Heat wave my ass.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Keeping up on animals dental health is a really good idea. My wife's clinic does tons dental procedures that cost owners quite a lot ($400+). Most could have been avoided with annual cleanings (~$200 a year). Another very cool thing is pet insurance that most clinics are taking now, I think it is only something like $15-$25 a month depending on if its a cat or dog. Most of them don't have breed restrictions or limitations on pre-conditions. You pay the bill upfront and then the insurance company reimburses you.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Keeping up on animals dental health is a really good idea. My wife's clinic does tons dental procedures that cost owners quite a lot ($400+). Most could have been avoided with annual cleanings (~$200 a year). Another very cool thing is pet insurance that most clinics are taking now, I think it is only something like $15-$25 a month depending on if its a cat or dog. Most of them don't have breed restrictions or limitations on pre-conditions. You pay the bill upfront and then the insurance company reimburses you.
Sadly, our cat is already retarded so we can't do anything about insurance.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
you must get along great with it then :D
It's like being around Mooshu. First it's infuriating, then shocked by stupidity, then confused by the stupidity, and finally you just give up and acknowledge nothing can fix stupid.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just went to the hangar to get my lunch and there was a payroll change notice in my box. Apparently today is my 10 year anniversary with the airline. :twitch:
Pay is pay. Celebrate it with a drink at lunch, as if you worked at Lockheed (you know that part of Boeing...).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon. Had a nice weekend with the hubby while Syd spent time with my parents. We went to see the new Harry Potter Movie and got in a (bad for me) mountain bike ride. I was apparently pretty dehydrated from my Friday solo 96 degree ride, coupled with floating around the pool drinking all afternoon = bonked mamma monkey! Worst I have felt in a long time...stopped sweating about half way, was loosing my balance and had one hell of a headache. Don't plan on doing that again any time soon.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
It's payback for living in Ashland last year. Rain in July is normal, but not 80% of July.
The news said that as of Friday last week, we'd had 78 mins over 80* and 16 hours over 75* all summer. I don't know if we hit 80 this weekend, but the numbers still don't look good. I guess we really have 2 seasons here "almost summer" and "almost winter"