Quantcast

GNOME Requirements

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I just got two laptops (166mmx with 40mg ram). I am going to be upgrading the the memory to 72 mg. I was wondering is this enough computer to run GONME with Mandy 9.1?

If not what window manager should I run? If GNOME is out im pretty sure that KDE and Ximian is out.

Does anybody have any experneice with Enlightenment?

Any help would be appreciated.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i'm not really sure that any of them have minimum cpu/memory requirements. I don't even think that RH9.x does either. I know I used to run redhat on my pentium 75 with 32MB of ram and I could run the window managers fine, they were just really slow. That was a couple years back though. I would recommend looking into the Blackbox windowmanager, really lightweight and fast, doesn't need much for resources.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I ended up installing vector linux. ITs actually run pretty quickly. With it completly installed it takes about 500mg which is nice considering the laptops only have 1.6gb hard drives. I switch between ICEwm and Fluxbox (based on blackbox) I am still not sure which one I like better. Now the next thing is the get the PCMCIA NIC working and the external PS/2 port.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Gnome is not even part of the distros install so I am not going to worry about downloading and intsalling it. I did try to use GNOME on a PII 233 and its a pig so im not even going to bother on a 166.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by ChainWhip
Gnome will run on that, but as with anything X, it's a fat application - it won't run as smoothly as you're probably used to.
Generally Mandrake is the bulkier of most distros. Enlightenment or Black Box are a bit less resource intensive than Gnome or KDE, maybe try one of the more obscure window managers. (Sawfish, WindowMaker, etc)

Specs for Man 9.2 from the site:

Processor: an x586-class or above processor is required. This includes Intel Pentium I/II/III/IV, AMD K6/II/III, AMD Duron, AMD Athlon/XP/MP. SMP multi-processor machines are supported. (*)
Memory: at least 64 MB is required (32 MB for text-install); 128 MB is recommended.
Hard disks: IDE and SCSI hard disks are supported. RAID/SCI and SCSI controllers are supported.
Hard disk size: At least 100MB is required, 1GB is recommended.
USB and USB 2.0: most USB devices are supported (including USB keys).
CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives and burners: Most IDE, SCSI, PCMCIA, IEEE 1394/FireWire models are supported (this includes DVD+RW and DVD-RW).
Graphic cards: Most ISA, PCI and AGP cards are supported, including VESA, NVidia, ATI, 3DFX, SIS, S3, Matrox (dual-head support for G450), Intel i865G, i8XX, i845G, Trident. 3D acceleration is available for Matrox G200/G400/G500, Voodoo III/V/Banshee, Intel i8XX, ATI Rage 128/Pro & Radeon, Nvidia (GeForce and Nforce).
Network adapters: Most ISA, PCI and USB network cards are supported. Most modems, RNIS, DSL and wireless devices are supported.
Printers: Most Inkjet and Laser printers are supported. Most "WinPrinters" are not supported.
Sound Cards: All SoundBlaster-compatible soundcards, Ensoniq (Audigy, Live), X Wave, Crystal, Intel, AMD, Nvidia Nforce, VIA, CMI C-Media, ESS Maestro, Yamaha YMF744, Terratec, AC'97.
Laptops: Most laptops are supported.
Misc.: Numerous TV cards, graphics tablets, scanners, webcams, digital cameras and FireWire devices are supported.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Generally Mandrake is the bulkier of most distros
I gotta agree. But its what I am used to. But it was time for me to experience different distros. All in all its pretty much about the same.

Enlightenment or Black Box are a bit less resource intensive than Gnome or KDE, maybe try one of the more obscure window managers. (Sawfish, WindowMaker, etc)
Im using FluxBox (based off of black box) and it runs really well on that machine. One thing though. I would like to know how to make the background a picture.

On my main workstation (Mandrake 8.1) I use sawfish with GNOME. Mandrake 9.2 defaults with Meta city and GNOME. Both are pigs even on a PIII 650 its takes a minute or two to get everything going.

Good thing about mandrake its great for beginners. Alot of great GUI tools but you can edit via CLI also. and just get the feel of linux.

Next thing is either Solaris or BSD:monkey:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Originally posted by CrAckErKorEan
I gotta agree. But its what I am used to. But it was time for me to experience different distros. All in all its pretty much about the same.

Im using FluxBox (based off of black box) and it runs really well on that machine. One thing though. I would like to know how to make the background a picture.

On my main workstation (Mandrake 8.1) I use sawfish with GNOME. Mandrake 9.2 defaults with Meta city and GNOME. Both are pigs even on a PIII 650 its takes a minute or two to get everything going.

Good thing about mandrake its great for beginners. Alot of great GUI tools but you can edit via CLI also. and just get the feel of linux.

Next thing is either Solaris or BSD:monkey:
I haven't used Enlightenment in quite a while but last I knew it was actually one of the biggest resource hogs out there.

There's two ways you can set an image as the background in blackbox (not sure if fluxbox is the same or not). You can use a program called xview, if you have it installed read the man page about how to use it to set an image to the root window. I think it's something like xview -root file.jpg but there's a bunch more flags you can give it to do different things. Or under blackbox there's different themes, and each theme has a config file. I believe it's the last line of the config file but if you look you will see something about a background image. Just change it to what you want.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Thanks for the info. Im gonna poke around in there tonight. There a are a couple other problems that I have to fix first.

1. Getting my Xircom CE3B NIC working in the PCMCIA slot.
2. And getting an external PS/2 working in conjunction touch pad.

Thanks for the help again:monkey: