Quantcast

Goals for summer: Epic Rides

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
List some of your goals (in terms of road rides) for this summer and their names. In my part of the woods (Colorado) there's the Gruel (local), a 2 pass 90+mi loop at about 8000ft elev, Trail Ridge Rd, the Triple ByPass (3 pass, 120+mi), and the annual Tour of Colorado and Ride the Rockies (both multi-day rides). BTW, I haven't done any of these as I've just started roadie-ing this past summer, so I'm hoping to do two of these this summer.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Did Trail Ridge Rd last year for the first time, it's awesome. I'd like to try to hit it before they open. The traffic sux.

Hoping to do the Triple Bypass this year. Might do the Sante Fe Century in May. Want to climb Mt. Evans (14,140' gain: ~7000').

Mostly I'm hoping to ride new roads. Find new places. A solo/small group tour for a couple days would be fun.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Assault on Mount Mitchell in North Carolina. 11,000 feet of climbing in 102 miles. 4500 feet in the first 74 miles. 6500 feet in the last 28 miles. Plus Bill's Mountain with a 1000 feet in a little over a mile.

Not Colorado altitude though.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DRB said:
Assault on Mount Mitchell in North Carolina. 11,000 feet of climbing in 102 miles. 4500 feet in the first 74 miles. 6500 feet in the last 28 miles.
That's fookin' evil! No, seriously. The Triple Bypass is 120 miles with about the same amount of climbing, but the last 20-25 miles is downhill.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Round trip on Skyline drive, 210 miles of rolling terrain.

There is another double century I want to do. Linking two other centuries together. It would be a large figure 8 that includes two of the longest climbs I know of.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
Did Trail Ridge Rd last year for the first time, it's awesome. I'd like to try to hit it before they open. The traffic sux.

Hoping to do the Triple Bypass this year. Might do the Sante Fe Century in May. Want to climb Mt. Evans (14,140' gain: ~7000').

Mostly I'm hoping to ride new roads. Find new places. A solo/small group tour for a couple days would be fun.

Dude, I'll try and do the Triple w/ you. Gotta log some miles on the trainer before tho. Nothing like coming out of ski/mud season w/ no aerobic and doing a 3 pass century...lol

Edit: Trail Ridge would be a good warm up for the Triple. They'll open the Sun one week before the road opens for the bikers. I've heard it's like an annual thing for some ppl.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I just wanna go biking alot on my road bike. I miss the simple life...damn school it has me bogged down and despressed, so much work. I'm only able to fit in weight lifting a few times a week. Makes me very depressed I need some serious killer endurnace stuff to cheer me up. :drool: :help:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
DRB said:
Assault on Mount Mitchell in North Carolina. 11,000 feet of climbing in 102 miles. 4500 feet in the first 74 miles. 6500 feet in the last 28 miles. Plus Bill's Mountain with a 1000 feet in a little over a mile.

I'm planning to do the first part of that so I can do the whole thing next year. I'm also planning a double century sometime over the summer. Need to find someone to ride with though because it will be as flat as I can manage and boring as hell. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
Dude, I'll try and do the Triple w/ you. Gotta log some miles on the trainer before tho. Nothing like coming out of ski/mud season w/ no aerobic and doing a 3 pass century...lol
cool! I'm hoping to be up in your area to log some mountain miles before the Triple.

Pau11y said:
Edit: Trail Ridge would be a good warm up for the Triple. They'll open the Sun one week before the road opens for the bikers. I've heard it's like an annual thing for some ppl.
I hadn't heard that. That's so awesome. I'm so there!

chicodude01 said:
I want to do my first century...
It's a lot easier than you'd think.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
LordOpie said:
That's fookin' evil! No, seriously. The Triple Bypass is 120 miles with about the same amount of climbing, but the last 20-25 miles is downhill.
No kidding, I'd have to be high and stupid to ever think of trying a triple; I can't even believe you guys are talking about it. Damn, and I thought the double I was thinking of trying later this year was a lot.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DRB said:

Yup, I'm w/ Lord Opie on this one. This would be a TOUGH Tour day IMO, let alone a rec level biker....

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
reflux said:
No kidding, I'd have to be high and stupid to ever think of trying a triple; I can't even believe you guys are talking about it. Damn, and I thought the double I was thinking of trying later this year was a lot.
Yeah, I'm a little worried about doing the Triple on my bike as I only have a double (53/39) 9 (12-25) setup. Climbing Rabbit Ears (avg 5%, 7 mi) kinda hurts w/ that setup so doing the triple might kill me...lol

Edit: Rabbit Ears starts at around 7000 - 7200 and goes up to 9300 - 9700 ft elevation. Loveland Pass, one of the passes on the triple, starts at around high 8s to 9K ft and goes above treeline, around 12,500 ft.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Pau11y said:
Yeah, I'm a little worried about doing the Triple on my bike as I only have a double (53/39) 9 (12-25) setup. Climbing Rabbit Ears (avg 5%, 7 mi) kinda hurts w/ that setup so doing the triple might kill me...lol

Edit: Rabbit Ears starts at around 7000 - 7200 and goes up to 9300 - 9700 ft elevation. Loveland Pass, one of the passes on the triple, starts at around high 8s to 9K ft and goes above treeline, around 12,500 ft.
Dayum, I'd probably want to throw a road triple up front and a mountain cassette on the back to even consider trying RE. F that. Question though, how long would doing a triple take? 24 hours? I wouldn't be able to sit down for 3 days at least...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
chicodude01 said:
I want to do my first century.............
As Opie said it's not too hard. I did my first one on Valentine's Day last year. Had been road riding for a few months(since January) and was still nursing an ACL tear/surgery. Woke up hungover after a LONG night of partying and road to Capitola from Santa Clara. Bought a new saddle and rode back. 112 miles in all as I got lost a few times going up. Hurt the next day, but it was all good. Hoping to repeat this year. You should give it a try.

Anyhow. I want to start logging more miles per ride. I've got a loop that when I started took me about 2.5 hours and now is about an hour 45. I want to find a nice 3 hour loop to do a few times a week. That and work up to Cat 4 racing if I can get to enough races. Should be interesting on a SS. Track racing is also looking good, I'd like to give it a try. Really though, more miles so I can really get some epic rides in and feel strong this summer.

The Ito

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
reflux said:
Dayum, I'd probably want to throw a road triple up front and a mountain cassette on the back to even consider trying RE. F that. Question though, how long would doing a triple take? 24 hours? I wouldn't be able to sit down for 3 days at least...
Nah, most do it in 8-9 hours.
When I did RE (twice this past summer), I did it on a double. I think if I try the Triple, I'm gonna converty my steel HT to a road/CX w/ either a really light sus fork (have an 2000/2001 Sid Race) or a rigid carbon. It'll have a mountain triple and cluster in the rear (11-32 XTR); will have to find a DA triple front STI shifter. However, I run disc on this bike so I'll have to get some road calipers (Avid Mechs) and build another set of wheels w/ 135 disc hubs (have a spare set of Hugi/Onyx) and road rims (maybe some tall profile aero ones for stiffness). But maybe w/ a steel frame and sus fork, I can get away w/ a 26"x.75" slick instead of new wheels...? And then I can have a cross bike later too :D

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Pau11y said:
Nah, most do it in 8-9 hours.
But maybe w/ a steel frame and sus fork, I can get away w/ a 26"x.75" slick instead of new wheels...? :D
You could probably just get away with some skinny tires for the existing bike. Then when you are hooked on road riding you can make the switch to a real road bike. It's all about the right tool for the job. Then you can sell me your spare set of Onyx hubs for cheap since I gave you such great advice. :evil:

Tioga makes a nice set of skinny tires for 26" Wheels

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Morryjg said:
You could probably just get away with some skinny tires for the existing bike. Then when you are hooked on road riding you can make the switch to a real road bike. It's all about the right tool for the job. Then you can sell me your spare set of Onyx hubs for cheap since I gave you such great advice. :evil:

Tioga makes a nice set of skinny tires for 26" Wheels
Hehe, thanx. But does this count as a "real" road bike?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ito said:
Woke up hungover after a LONG night of partying and road to Capitola from Santa Clara. Bought a new saddle and rode back. 112 miles in all as I got lost a few times going up.
I think I remember that story... questioned you about changing a saddle IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIDE?! :D

Paully man, that's a lot of work and money. I'm a huge friggin' wuss and can climb anything with a 30-27. Do you think you can ride with a compact double and 27 cassette? Or perhaps put a triple on your roadie. I think if you play with the double front derail limits, you can get it to work without needing to buy a triple derail.

You won't need both mt. cranks and mt. cassette. Unless you want to do that to your HT, in which case, have fun... then still ride the roadie on the Triple :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
I think I remember that story... questioned you about changing a saddle IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIDE?! :D

Paully man, that's a lot of work and money. I'm a huge friggin' wuss and can climb anything with a 30-27. Do you think you can ride with a compact double and 27 cassette? Or perhaps put a triple on your roadie. I think if you play with the double front derail limits, you can get it to work without needing to buy a triple derail.

You won't need both mt. cranks and mt. cassette. Unless you want to do that to your HT, in which case, have fun... then still ride the roadie on the Triple :)
Alrighty. I guess we can compare notes if you come up and do RE with. I was doing it (base to W. Summit) in about 1.25 hours in the middle of summer.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My longer term goal is ride every pass in the state -- from both sides. So RE is definitely on the list for this summer, especially from the east. What's the data on RE from the west?

To others: RE = Rabbit Ears Pass. It's SE of the awesome Steamboat Springs. Isn't the bike manufacturer, Moots, in or near Steam?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yes it is. But it changed hands recently, from Kent Erickson to some dude who's related to the Disney family. Kent is now building hand cable bikes, the ones you sit in way up in tree canopy and use your hand to crank this thing and you move around on a cable network. He's back in the Sore Saddle building which he partially owns, and no longer in the new Moots building.

RE from the west to east is just like I mentioned. It's 7 miles long, average of 5% grade starting at around low 7K ft and climbing to about mid 9Ks ft. I do it in about 1.25 hours on that De Rosa. The first mile is the steepest, 7%, and then it mellows out and turns into long flat sections w/ more incline in the turns. From the East, it's cake except the roads are narrow and drivers are insane. Once you summit from the east, there's a lot of up and down w/ some good grade. If you start from Kremmlin, 40 miles away, it'll be a biatch of an ending w/ those up and downs. The final 7 down is pretty fun and then the 9 miles into Steamboat is slightly down but pretty flat.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Pau11y said:
Hehe, thanx. But does this count as a "real" road bike?
Ummmmmmmmm......oh yeah. :think: In that case never mind me. I forgot you were talking about converting the HT to get a triple chainring. Maybe you should just stick with the double and that way when you finish the triple bypass you can thumb your nose at Opie and talk about how much stronger you are since you didn't need a triple chainring. You should still sell me those Onyx hubs though, especially if the front is a 20mm. ;)

*edit* p.s. -- Great looking roady!! :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
I do it in about 1.25 hours on that De Rosa.
what do you do in that time? The 7 mile climb or the 16 mile flat+climb.

(sorry, have a head cold and brain ain't working so good.

Morryjg said:
Maybe you should just stick with the double and that way when you finish the triple bypass you can thumb your nose at Opie and talk about how much stronger you are since you didn't need a triple chainring.
Please, that's nothing to brag about. I have old people in diapers passing me.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Just the climb is about 1.25 to 1.5 hours. The flat and climb is about 2.25 or 2.5. I like to go pretty slow up to it to get a warm up, about 1/2 hour to get up to the base. It's slightly uphill which makes coming back a hoot :D

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
reflux said:
I think these guys have you a little confused. The Triple By-Pass is not a triple century, it is about 120 miles and goes over three mountain passes. I believe its Squaw, Loveland and Vail. Still pretty difficult, evidently there is a guy who does it each year on a Schwinn Stingray.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
special O said:
I am planning on doing on doing the climb to kaiser.

150 miles, 13500' climbing, ~350' to 9200' in the nice cool california summer weather.

http://www.fresnocycling.com/kaiser/2005/kaisermap.htm

should be fun...
Cool??? I know you have tongue in cheek Special O. When I got back down to Clovis at the end of the ride a couple of summers ago it was about 105 degrees. Wait till your legs get a load of the pitch up to Lake Huntington (it's called Big Creek or Big Trees, something like that). I was tacking at about 4mph on some parts of that section. The sweet descent back down to the flatlands is some 35 miles or so but be ready for the heat. At the last rest stop they had these pools laid out with floating blocks of ice in em to submerge your feet into. I think this is a better ride than The Death Ride. Far less people (only about 200 compared to 3000) and no cow grates as I recall. You'll also get close to some cars on the section from the top of Toll House until the Big Creek turn-off so be careful.