Quantcast

Going from 35mm to 31.8mm handlebars

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Anyone gone back to the smaller diameter handlebars? I have a 35mm carbon haven handlebar and stem. I am wondering if some of my small bump sensitivity issues are from this setup. Im only about 150lbs so not really benefitting from the extra stiffness. Thoughts? Is the vibrocore spank stuff just snake oil?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I feel like my 35m carbon BZA bars are easy on my hands compared to my old alu 31.8 atlas bars and my race face 31.8 sixc crabon bars. Basically I'm not sure you can boil it down to diameter exclusively.

The other big thing I've noticed is that as I have increased the height of my bars (either by rise or spacers or longer head tube) my hands have felt better and better.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
I have the 31.8 vibrocore bars on my DH bike, and yeah, honestly, they're snake oil. They do perfectly fine as standard beefy aluminum bars, but that foam doesn't appear to do jack squat.

The best bars for killing vibration I've found are the 35mm RF SixC's, probably going to get another one for my DH bike.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I feel like my 35m carbon BZA bars are easy on my hands compared to my old alu 31.8 atlas bars and my race face 31.8 sixc crabon bars.
I'll second this. Threw some BZA bars on my Following in lieu of the not-so-great RF Aeffect bars that it came with, and they are much more forgiving. I think they may be more forgiving than my old go-to SixC 31.8 bars, but they are the best balance of stiffness/weight/feel that I've found in bars so far.

Sep 11, 2015
The other big thing I've noticed is that as I have increased the height of my bars (either by rise or spacers or longer head tube) my hands have felt better and better.
This is why I'm inventing special new mega-rise DH ape hanger bars - 35mm (diameter), space-age nano-carbon, Boost, and so on and so forth. Expect to see prototypes under over Young Talent Jesus in the opening rounds of WC musical chairs wild speculation posts this Fall/Winter.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'll second this. Threw some BZA bars on my Following in lieu of the not-so-great RF Aeffect bars that it came with, and they are much more forgiving. I think they may be more forgiving than my old go-to SixC 31.8 bars, but they are the best balance of stiffness/weight/feel that I've found in bars so far.
This.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I absolutely love love love the 35s on my trail bike. I'd be lying if I said I haven't noticed my hands going numb a lot more often though. It's kept me from putting them on my dh bike. Don't think I will either (as long as I have a choice).

Sep 11, 2015
I absolutely love love love the 35s on my trail bike. I'd be lying if I said I haven't noticed my hands going numb a lot more often though. It's kept me from putting them on my dh bike. Don't think I will either (as long as I have a choice).
I'm trying to figure out why you love them if they make your hands go numb a lot more often.

All I can think of is your (possible) unwavering dedication to giving yourself a "stranger." Do you do that before or after you remove your chamois?

Or is the added stiffness worth the numbness?

Or am I missing something?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Defintely the stranger.

My standard in life is dual crown dh forks for stiffness. 35mm bars just move a little more in that direction when used with single crown forks. My hands don't hurt, they just go numb in certain circumstances. I'm also old as fuck so it may not be the handlebars, my prostate may have expanded to my shoulders. My hands go numb with 31.8 bars too. It just seems like they do it moar with the 35s. And again.....only occasionally on stuff with a shit ton of pitch and lots of braking.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Hmm. I've got a set of 35mm Haven carbon's en route, and now I'm starting to question whether buying them was a good idea. But I'm 185lbs, so maybe my bulk will help me tame them.