Quantcast

Good entry level CX bike

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Okay...dusting off this old thread.

I have a lead on a Surly Cross-check. Thoughts on sizing (anyone know how they run as compared to mountain/road bike geometry?) Would this make a good commuter, part time road (for a charity ride or two or 50-100 miles) and light CX machine?

Thanks!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I would think a cross-check would offer a great deal of versatility if the price were right and the fit were right. It won't be the lightest of bikes - but it certainly lends itself to multiple build configurations depending on your choice of tire selection etc. etc.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I would think a cross-check would offer a great deal of versatility if the price were right and the fit were right. It won't be the lightest of bikes - but it certainly lends itself to multiple build configurations depending on your choice of tire selection etc. etc.
That's what I was thinking...I'm hoping it's not a tank, but I don't think it'll be too heavy either. I just have to confirm the fit and give it a try!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're cool bikes, not what I would pick to race CX on by any means, but as a utilitarian all purpose bike they're awesome.

[shamelessplug]I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but Swan Cycles in Ithaca stocks a lot of CX bikes from Fuji, Redline and Surly. Give a call to check what's in stock (607-277-0495), but there should be a couple things around in your size range. [/shamelessplug]

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
They're cool bikes, not what I would pick to race CX on by any means, but as a utilitarian all purpose bike they're awesome.

[shamelessplug]I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but Swan Cycles in Ithaca stocks a lot of CX bikes from Fuji, Redline and Surly. Give a call to check what's in stock (607-277-0495), but there should be a couple things around in your size range. [/shamelessplug]
Thanks for the input....I'll try to give them a call tomorrow!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks for the input....I'll try to give them a call tomorrow!
Shop's still open. Hours are 6:30-9:30, M-Thurs evenings. Weekends by appointment.

Unless that changed in the last couple months.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
D'oh...just saw your post. Is there anyone in particular that you would recommend I talk to?
Glenn will probably be the only person around this time of year, and he's great. Danny may be there, and he knows his stuff too, finished 8th at CX nationals this year.