Quantcast

Good time to replace cables?

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
When is a good time to replace all the cables on your bike? I've been riding about 3 times per week for about a year and the last time I had my bike in the shop the mechanic said that after my next tune up I should replace all the cables. Any suggestions?

K

kitchenware

Replace after a year?

What kind of climate do you live in?

I'd just pull them, clean and relube. That is, if they're good coated cables that are in there.

jim

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
At least replace the brake cables (assuming non hydraulic). If a derailleur cable fails it wont do the possible damage of a failed brake cable. (to you)

If it's a shifting issue, sure, just replace them, and lube them periodically. A good way is to shift to the biggest cog in rear or big ring in front while pedaling, stop pedaling, and then shift back to the smallest cog in rear or small ring in front. This will create a lot of cable slack, and you should be able to pull the housing out of the cable stops for easy lubing.

When done, simply return the housing to the proper stops, and pedal a few turns. Chain will jump back to small cog / CR. You're off.

This works on most bikes unless you run full housing.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Why would you ever replace cables and housing that aren't obviously worn? I understanding cleaning and lubing regularly - that also gives me a chance to inspect the cables for wear.

If nothing is worn, the cables are clean and lubed and the bike shifts fine why go through the hassle?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You're right IF the bike shifts and brakes fine there is no reason to replace them. But cables deteriorate fairly slowly unless its really muddy and wet where you ride. Often you don't notice the cables are fouled until you have shifting problems. When you do replace them the difference is night and day. When I was racing a lot and trainning 10 to 15 hours a week in all kinds of weather, I'd change cables out every month or two and sometimes, a single muddy race would do them in. Its no possible to effectively clean the inside of the housing and even cables get bits of grit in the weave that is not going to come out. And cables are pretty cheap. $20.00Cdn for 4 cables and about $10.00 for housing. The pros get new cable and housing for every race, even the guys on Gore cables. Its just not possible to completely seal them and eventually they will get fouled up.

200xRyder

Chimp
Jun 27, 2002
TrikeRiders.com
You know when to replace then when they start sounding like mine when you turn the bars...creeeeEeeeEeeeINK. lol

Havnt got around to replacing them, actually it is the housing (not the cables) witch are to blame, my cables are brand new. Cables dont really go bad if you keep the rust off em.

Rob