Quantcast

goodyear

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
From PB

Goodyear mountain bike tires? That's right, one of the world's largest automotive tires manufacturers is entering the cycling realm with a line of mountain, road, and gravel tires. It's not the first time that Goodyear has made bike tires – they actually got their start as a bicycle and carriage tire company all the way back in 1898 – but this will be their first real entrance into the higher end arena.

The initial mountain bike lineup consists of four models – the Peak, Escape, Newton, and Newton ST. The Peak and the Escape are designed for XC and trail bikes, while the Newton and Newton ST are intended for more aggressive riding. The tires are manufactured in Taiwan, but, according to Goodyear, the compounds used are proprietary, and only found in Goodyear tires.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ahh, making overseas and slapping the goodyear name on em...

Apparently Goodyear is NOT getting into making bike tires...

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I don´t know why all the folks at pinkbike and vital are so crazy about how this will shake up the tire game.
High prices, heavy, not made in house, no actual rider input as of now and reviews seem mediocre at best.

What we really need is a YT equivalent for tires.
Direct sales, good quality, lower pricing
Think about it. It makes total sense for tires. Why buy them through a LBS anyways? Mostly old rubber in smaller shops, limited selection and high prices.
I wish someone would look into this already and force the old guard to rethink their pricing structure which has been going crazy for the past few years.
Goodyear will only be another company offering some sort of Minion derivate.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don´t know why all the folks at pinkbike and vital are so crazy about how this will shake up the tire game.
High prices, heavy, not made in house, no actual rider input as of now and reviews seem mediocre at best.

The same reason Wired hypes up quesitonable food replacements from Sicilion Valley. Big portals sell hype. Not only for the advertisers but "look at this new shiny thing" clicks well. Also I'm pretty sure they expect or already have some ads planned.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
The same reason Wired hypes up quesitonable food replacements from Sicilion Valley. Big portals sell hype. Not only for the advertisers but "look at this new shiny thing" clicks well. Also I'm pretty sure they expect or already have some ads planned.
Ok, i should have prefaced this by stating "rhethorical question" :bonk:
As always, lizards gonna lizard.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
isn't that what the old Intense tires were?
Those things were hands down the hardest tyres to get on and off rims I've ever had to deal with. I literally cut an old Intense tyre off a rim once - I have no idea how it got on there, but I'm presuming cryofit and a press.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Direct sales, good quality, lower pricing
Think about it. It makes total sense for tires. Why buy them through a LBS anyways? Mostly old rubber in smaller shops, limited selection and high prices.
I wish someone would look into this already and force the old guard to rethink their pricing structure which has been going crazy for the past few years.
Goodyear will only be another company offering some sort of Minion derivate.
I may be misunderstanding your point, but you can buy tires directly from Maxxis. That said, there doesn't appear to be reduction in price compared to buying them online (although perhaps they're artificially higher to protect their online distributors).

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I may be misunderstanding your point, but you can buy tires directly from Maxxis. That said, there doesn't appear to be reduction in price compared to buying them online (although perhaps they're artificially higher to protect their online distributors).
I think in the Vital article it said that Goddyear will not undercut distributors and dealers even though they are selling direct too.
I assume it´s the same thing for all the other manufacturers. Makes no sense to undercut the dealers.
What i suggested is for someone to go direct sales only. No distributors, no stores, no dealers.
(High end) tires do not need any of the services a store provides to sell. Once a good reputation is gained, even inexperienced riders will buy them online based on online and magazine reviews.
Just go full YT and kick the big lizards butts. What works for complete bikes should definitely work for wear components, especially since the recipe for success is as easy as "minion clone + cheap price = happy customer"
Now the interesting thing is whether the lizards owning the factories will allow someone to produce at their factory while basically destroying the market with that exact product.
Maybe i´m missing some aspect of it though and there really is no wiggle room to make those tires any cheaper. But i sure as hell can´t figure out why not.

Olga_icannot

Chimp
Aug 16, 2014
Seattle

Direct sales, good quality, lower pricing...
This. Planning out my business model for direct sale tires is how I occupy my mind on long fire road climbs. I always give up when I calculate the number of SKU's needed to cover several wheel diameters, casing widths, tread patterns, rubber compounds, and casing constructions. But my imaginary business is awesome because if you order more than five tires I offer custom hot patches. You could stamp all your tires with the word "prototype."

I hate long fire road climbs.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I think in the Vital article it said that Goddyear will not undercut distributors and dealers even though they are selling direct too.
I assume it´s the same thing for all the other manufacturers. Makes no sense to undercut the dealers.
What i suggested is for someone to go direct sales only. No distributors, no stores, no dealers.
(High end) tires do not need any of the services a store provides to sell. Once a good reputation is gained, even inexperienced riders will buy them online based on online and magazine reviews.
Just go full YT and kick the big lizards butts. What works for complete bikes should definitely work for wear components, especially since the recipe for success is as easy as "minion clone + cheap price = happy customer"
Now the interesting thing is whether the lizards owning the factories will allow someone to produce at their factory while basically destroying the market with that exact product.
Maybe i´m missing some aspect of it though and there really is no wiggle room to make those tires any cheaper. But i sure as hell can´t figure out why not.

I will preface this by confessing your kitchen table probably knows more about the mountain bike tire manufacturing industry than I do. With that in mind, I was under the impression that Maxxis and only a handful of other manufacturers make pretty much everybody's tires. So if you're a new direct sales company and call them up to make your high quality tires with the sweetest kidwoo approved side knob design and magic blended durometer rubber, they might say fuck directly off, we're not going to make your tire and piss off Specialized and others (ie- we're lizards). So then you'd be relegated to Chiang Kai shek tires inc, and you might get a questionable quality product, albeit at a lower cost.

Also, I don't know anything about car tires either, but is there a direct sales car tire manufacturer (ie- one that sells comparable products to high end offerings from say Michelin but at a significant discount)?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Apparently Maxxis is "a wholy owned subsidiary of Cheng Shin" according to wikipedia. That's wikipedia though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What disturbs me about is it's just a company coming out of nowhere with virtually no mtb knowledge, contracting someone to design some tires and farming out the production. Many companies have come and gone in the mtb industry with this same idea, "we make offroad shit, so lets put our name on some bikes and make some money!", and it's almost never really worked out. There is no "soul", if there is a thing. I'd rather just order direct from Vee or Cheng Shin and have their name on the tire, rather than some phony shell-corp company...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think what you may be missing is that with a direct sales model, the manufacturer has to become the retailer and those are two wholly different businesses. A true manufacturer (who owns the factory and produces the goods - not like YT) typically has little knowledge of retail marketing, sales, and distribution. Brands like YT and Canyon are just cutting out the middle men (distributors, shops) to lower the cost, but they are more marketing companies than anything.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Goodyear shaking the tree, haha. I wonder why the push. The local Goodyear tire store just rebranded over to Pepboys. Maybe its a sign? Theyre losing too much on this mtb tire venture apparently.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think what you may be missing is that with a direct sales model, the manufacturer has to become the retailer and those are two wholly different businesses. A true manufacturer (who owns the factory and produces the goods - not like YT) typically has little knowledge of retail marketing, sales, and distribution. Brands like YT and Canyon are just cutting out the middle men (distributors, shops) to lower the cost, but they are more marketing companies than anything.
That doesn't make any sense. On the one hand, they're just cutting out the middle men (distributers, shops), but on the other hand they are more marketing companies than anything...

Don't they have to design their bikes to the specs they want and oversee production? I'm not sure how they become more marketing companies than anything else when the thing that differentiates them from Trek for example isn't production (or lack of), but of their sales model. Like are you saying that companies like Trek don't have marketing budgets and rely entirely on the LBS to get their products out there? Help me out here, seems like you're trying to say two contradictory things.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That doesn't make any sense. On the one hand, they're just cutting out the middle men (distributers, shops), but on the other hand they are more marketing companies than anything...

Don't they have to design their bikes to the specs they want and oversee production? I'm not sure how they become more marketing companies than anything else when the thing that differentiates them from Trek for example isn't production (or lack of), but of their sales model. Like are you saying that companies like Trek don't have marketing budgets and rely entirely on the LBS to get their products out there? Help me out here, seems like you're trying to say two contradictory things.
Good point. That wasn't entirely clear or fully thought out. Of course YT and Canyon design their stuff (their bikes don't just use "catalog" frames) and I have no idea what factories they use for production. Mixing the bike and tire industries probably wasn't a good comparison. The point is, when going to a direct sales model, they take on the responsibility of marketing, sales, distribution, and after sales service/warranty support - I didn't mention that earlier. Of course Trek, Specialized, etc. have marketing budgets that they use very effectively, but they also have their dealer network which puts the bikes in front of people in a way that direct sales companies really can't. Anyway, it was really just some thoughts on the challenges of the direct sales model and why some manufacturers wouldn't want to take it on.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
This reminds me of Chromag. When we were in Whistler we headed over to see the place and my buddy's were all buying stuff... No discounts. They said that they don't want to undercut their dealers in Whistler. Back in the Village, every dealer was 15-20% cheaper.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Slow Reezay Minions used to last me pretty well. (I didn't run them on the rear ever though)