Quantcast

GoPro HD Helmet Camera Review

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

GoPro's High Definition offering has been praised as the best helmet camera since it was released 5 months ago; here is a detailed review of the camera that's got riders everywhere talking.
---

Words and Photos by Fraser Britton

One of the biggest action sports products as of late, is the helmet cam. Be it surfing, snowboarding or mountain biking, helmet cams have started to come out of the woodwork. Where there was only 2-3 choices of low end, grainy, miserable looking POV cams 2 years ago, athletes and media outlets now have a good half dozen options, all in stunning HD quality.

One of the brands making a big push into action sports in general, but also specifically mountain biking, is GoPro. The boys and girls at GoPro have sponsored more than a few MTB riders in the last 2 years, the most visible of which is probably Brian Lopes of the United States.

The GoPro HD offers a slew of different modes to satisfy your needs. Besides the obvious video, it does still images, time lapses, motor-drive stills and more.

For video you have the choice of 1080P HD at 30fps, 960P HD at 30 fps, 720P at both 30fps and 60fps for some sick slow-mo, and 640x480 in 60fps. Although not a standard video mode, 960P is great for MTB as it gives you a taller image, giving you a bit more bar/stem while still seeing the trail.

In all modes but 720P and 1080p, the camera is a full 170deg fish angle view, fantastic for seeing the trail and getting an idea of speed. In the HD formats, it?s 127 degrees, great for following another ride.

You can also flip the image in camera, allowing you to use the camera itself upside down for more mounting options without having to adjust in post processing, a somewhat timely rendering process better avoided if possible.

The HD model eschews the AAA batteries used in the SD version, and now includes an 1100 mah Li-On battery pack. We haven?t been able to kill it so far on an entire day?s shooting, so it seems much nicer than the batteries that would last 20 minutes on their SD camera.

We have had the opportunity to try most of the helmet cams on the market, including offerings from Vio Sport and both the SD and HD offerings from Vholdr. While image quality on all of the cameras is very good, the Go Pro shines in 4 specific areas in our opinion.

1 - Waterproof. The Go Pro is entirely waterproof down to 30m. That means you can take it swimming, surfing and scuba diving with you. It also means you can take it out for a ride in the crappiest of conditions without worrying about it.

2 - Audio. The audio on most helmet cams is where their true deficiencies show through. Usually all you can hear is the wind whistling and not much else. GoPro offers 2 doors for their housing, 1 is the sealed one mentioned above, which keeps the camera dry, but deadens the sound. The HD model now ships with a second housing door with holes cut in the back above the mic. Although you lose the weather sealing, the audio is superb with this door allowing you to hear all of the sounds of the trail clearly, without the rush of the wind.

3 - Mounting options. The GoPro offers the biggest variety of mounting options currently on the market. From the auto-sports suction cup mount, to the surf board mount (very cool) to their roll cage and handle bar mounts. our favorite is the extremely popular chest mount for moto and MTB. The chest mount gives MTB and Moto riders an extremely cool view of the trail, the bars and the controls. It?s almost a riders eye view and makes for a unique view that we haven?t had the opportunity to see before Go Pro came to the market. The standard sticky mounts are great as well. They come in curved and flat and stick to pretty much anything. We have used them on chainstays and down tubes without ever once losing a camera. Make sure you wipe down the surface first though!

Andrew Neethling takes the Go Pro HD for a lap at Valparaiso

If you are in the market for a helmet cam, the $299 MSRP of the Go Pro HD is a great option, particularly if you like to get creative and mount the camera in odd places!

For more info go to: http://www.goprocamera.com.

Attachments

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Nice writeup. A couple of points after having used an HD hero while skiing this winter:

-The camera seems to be very finicky about SD cards. I've had good luck with Kingston and SanDisk, not so much with Transcend.
-Mine did not come loaded with the ability to invert the image. Supposedly this will be added in a firmware update, but so far that hasn't appeared on their site.

Otherwise, awesome camera.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Agreed on the Sd cards, I should have mentioned that. Go Pro actually suggests using name brand cards (sandisk, kingston etc) because users have reported difficulties with cheaper ones. Transcend cards are a large brand, but they are known to be part of the budget end of the scale. No idea why this makes a difference for solid state storage though?? It must be something to do with throughput speeds to the card from the buffer.

Also, one of my cams did come with the ability out of the box, the second one didn't and they had to send me a new firmware that allowed it. I was under he impression hat as of now, they were shipping this way? For what it is worth, the firmware also ads a ton of new options which make no sense to me yet as they are simply abbreviations on the camera screen for now!

I will check with them today on the firmware update delivery time.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Agreed on the Sd cards, I should have mentioned that. Go Pro actually suggests using name brand cards (sandisk, kingston etc) because users have reported difficulties with cheaper ones. Transcend cards are a large brand, but they are known to be part of the budget end of the scale. No idea why this makes a difference for solid state storage though?? It must be something to do with throughput speeds to the card from the buffer.

Also, one of my cams did come with the ability out of the box, the second one didn't and they had to send me a new firmware that allowed it. I was under he impression hat as of now, they were shipping this way? For what it is worth, the firmware also ads a ton of new options which make no sense to me yet as they are simply abbreviations on the camera screen for now!

I will check with them today on the firmware update delivery time.
The SD card thing is really strange. The "class" of the card doesn't really seem to matter either, as I believe the Transcend cards were class 6 vs a class 4 Kingston (which is what they recommend).

I got mine early Jan and the option for flipping the image isn't in there...not sure why the firmware update hasn't been posted on their site if some of the cameras are shipping with it. From the looks of it I will definitely need to go that route on the bike with the chest mount, unless I just want shots of the ground.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I asked for an update on when the firmware will ship. Mine came as a promotional thing as a media partner with them, so it may have had it installed before they sent it over. The one I did myself they sent me the update for. (No I can't share, sorry, please don't ask).

As for the angle, you can do it upside down, or you can use the 90 deg arm extender thing to get the same angle, only upright.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Please keep us updated on the firmware thing!

For mtb, I've found that the tallest setting (r4, 1280x960) works the best. Mainly because you can see more up and down which is where I want to see for trailriding.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I finally got mine dialed shooting in 720p @ 60fps

Pretty happy with the results

Better quality picture on the youtube site instead of the embedded version here. Be sure to watch it in 720p!

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
This came out like a month after I dropped 200 bones on a regular gopro... I was pretty pissed. Have they come up with a better method to aim the camera for this version?

oreos33

Chimp
May 26, 2010
Good review! that is such as a sweet, sweet camera. I've heard that the timelapse on it is very nice, which is something that is debatable with most cameras in my opinion. I'll look into this.