Quantcast

Gosh...it's been quiet around here

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I look forward chic-bike-threads-picts...

This has been a slow year for me bike-wise...I haven't had much $$ to go to the races and I am trying to finish this ridiculously endless dissertation.

Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that my first "real" job will be in a place with mountains. Anyone in need of an astronomer?? :redface:

Although not bike related, I HAVE been learning to play the guitar and am rockin' out with the hubby.

We took a chance at trying to get our little mtb art studio involved with local bike shops, but no one has given us any love and no one seems interested in our wares, so we may have to downgrade our business venture to a hobby. Oh well, it was worth a shot, but has been a little disheartening.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi Mohshee, it has been quiet around here!
I'm around. Still mtn biking as much as possible.
My new hubby and I are looking into getting bmx bikes for dirt tracks and tricks. New gear is so much fun!
Have your artwork up in my office and get lots of compliments!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
It has been a little quiet. I haven't been able to ride much the past few weeks...life has just gotten in the way, but I am going to remedy that ASAP! Did you see my new gear???
Isn't she BEAUTIFUL :love:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
It's funny but I thought that very same thing today. Is no one riding or they're just not talking...

I've been doing alittle of this....and my hubby has been experimenting with photographic techniques...I'm happy to be the model if I can ride my bikey!

and alittle of this....

This Saturday our friends and I are heading up to the North Shore in Vancouver - the rain is holding off! :clapping::clapping:

I got a new DJ bike - a Rocky Mountain Flow, no pics yet but soon!

Mosheee hang in there with your artwork. It takes awhile to find the right places to sell them and for people to notice. Just don't give up!:shocked:

Its been raining here the past week (maryland), all the resorts have closed, and race season is about over (tear). Now its time for the weather to make up its mind, ridemonkey to switch to slopemonkey, and to get my snowboard out to play on some snow.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
well, I have a new bike ( Stumpy FSR expert) and I bought one for my hubby. I need to upload photos to my server so I can share them. Sooooooo much fun.....
and it's gorgeous Indian Summer weather...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm still riding a lot - just don't post much anymore. I still update my blog regularly though. We're on the cusp of winter and I'll switch over to mostly skate skiing. BRING ON THE SNOW

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Skate skiing? How do you like that? I ski and that looks like fun!
It's very physically demanding...AND I LOVE IT! It's fast, aggressive, and requires attention to technique. You should definitely rent a pair and give it a try. It requires a lesson and a couple sessions before you feel semi-normal though. heheheheh

has anyone noticed that biking, mostly racing, has become not as much fun anymore? In going to races I see these guys (mostly guys) that just don't appreciate the sport. Its all about who has the better bike, with the most expensive parts, rather than the straight up skill. And everyone seems so uptight now. I know that racing and biking is supposed to be a family sport but this is also an aggressive demanding big "boy" sport. Its not for the faint hearted and its not like anyone can hop on a bike and start doing 10ft drops to trannys. I don't know...this is a weird rant, but the bike world (atleast downhill and free ride, and especially on the east coast) has just gotten to be a fad. Its weird. Any thoughts? Feel free to tell me Im nuts. haha

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
has anyone noticed that biking, mostly racing, has become not as much fun anymore? ...
Yes. I was so pumped last year, but I'm not so into it this year. The cost and pre-race anxiety has been taking the fun out of it for me. And I think I am getting older, in the sense that, I used to feel the need to prove myself a lot more. But I just want to do things now because they are fun and I enjoy it.

Treesaw, beautiful bike!!!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
can't comment on racing as I only ever did it once and decided it wasn't for me.

Here's the new steed. She told me her name is Stella. Stumpy FSR Expert WSD - I picked up the local demo bike from my favorite LBS, that supposedly has less than 10 hours of use. I'm trying to make the most of out our gorgeous fall weather.

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
well maybe the racing in canada is different - this year is the first time i've done it, and i've found it a lot of fun, very cool vibe from all the participants, experienced and novice both. our governing body has kinda stepped back from racing so grassroots races are stepping up. i think next year should be a really good year - more of a relaxed feel. here's hoping anyways.

does anyone else here ride year round? i rode 5x this week - at night, and in the rain. i like to snowboard and ski as well, and will do that over the winter (fingers crossed for good snow) but biking is more my focus.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
sunnerbeanmtb - I think the racing scene varies based on the type of racing. I race 24 hour races because I love the physical challenge and the atmosphere. I don't generally go to shorter races because it's way more uptight and less fun. I have noticed the vibe you speak of at some DH races and road races too. I enjoy DHing, but I don't really aspire to race it (yet).

geargrrl - nice new bike!!!

I am jealous of all of the great riding pictures too! I do ride year-round, but don't seem to take the camera with me :think:

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Stella's gorgeous!! How do you like the brain?

I ride all year (except when deep snow makes it impossible--then I x-c ski or snow shoe). I'm really excited to see more and more mudhunnies in my area getting outfitted for night and winter riding. I find that night and winter riding really help my skills.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Julie (shown above with the Shore pics) and I both ride year-round with our friends. Of course the rains do come but the temps are decent enough that we're able to ride - our local riding club has rides posted all winter long and some people do ride in the snow at higher levels. I used to ski back when I lived in Utah and the resorts were a half hour away but here it takes 2 hours to get to the resort or more! So forget that. You just have to be flexible and take advantage of the nice days when you can get them and that might just mean light rain. :twitch:

Oh yeah we finally got to the North Shore and it was a beautiful Indian summer day! Here's one, I love it as it looks like a forest where you'd find fairies....

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Well I've been busy getting married and spending a week in Costa Rica. :monkeydance::cheers::weee: Wedding pictures haven't come back yet so I'm waiting to for them to post some of the biking related decorations we had for the wedding.

No new bike news really. I completely surprised Greg with a Giant Reign 2 frame as a wedding gift and he's in the process of switching most of the parts from his XC hardtail.

I'll be passing on Treesaw's DH bike to another new female downhiller and will be getting DHchix's beautiful blue M3 when she upgrades to a new M6.:drool::rockout: Tax season needs to hurry up and get here!!!!

Here's the picture we took to go in our signing frame

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Luvz2ridez, this shot is really cool.

I really need to ride the shore or A-line or something right now, instead of class in 20min.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Luvz2ridez, this shot is really cool.

I really need to ride the shore or A-line or something right now, instead of class in 20min.
Thanks! It actually took me three tries the first time to ride this, I kept stopping at each hump. The 2nd time I went right over it with no problems...