Quantcast

Got measured... does a production bike exist that fits me?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I attached images of the print out he gave me. It seems that I'm not typical... have much longer inseam (88cm, 34.5")than 'normal' for my height. As such. I need less top-tube and more head-tube.

Seems like I need a TT 54-55cm, a Head-tube of ~18cm. BB to top of saddle = 76.5cm.

I want a custom bike, but money's an issue. If you know of a frame that might work for me, please post up. I'll start searching for it and maybe get lucky on a used frame that I can build up for a lot less than custom.

TIA!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
holy fark! I knew that was coming :blah:

I don't think they make 'em that big tho. I do know that there are bikes out there with long head-tubes cuz I saw a couple today being ridden by guys. I should've stopped them, but didn't.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I did visit your site, looks great, but I'm too lazy :blah:

PS: I've also told women I cared about them ;)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread... helping Opie get a new ride :)

EDIT: Thanks for the link!

EDIT^2: RE: Link... I'm not that vain, but I cannot and will not ride a women's specific bike. :blah:^8

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
remember, whoever did those numbers they are purely recommendations. highly recommended by whoever fit you but not the final word.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
nope, those measurements are close. find something within that range. take note that the hta/sta will also effect the reach

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks Indie!

I'm not sure about any certifications, but he's one of the most recommended guys in Denver.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Loopie, start asking the old ****ers on group rides why they are riding custum made frames. Ask them how long they have had their frames and if they would give them up for something new and flashy off the shelf.

What you will find is that many of the quiet roadies routinely ride in excess of 10,000 mile per year and are riding frames that are 10 or 15 years old. While they may have felt the original price of their custom built frames was steep - the years of service they have gotten for the $$$ spent turns out to be quite a bargain.

Next go talk to a big dog wannabe and ask him about his current hight zoot production frame and you will find that it is likely to be a current model that he has had for only a short time and yet he is drooling over some other higher zoot deal with an even tighther carbon weave that will result in a .005% increase in lateral stiffness... blah, blah, blah.

Then step back and consider the marketing techniques employed by road bike frame mass manufacturers - new colors, new angles, new decals and bigger numbers to go along with the ever increasing prices each year. A three year old major manufucturer's road bike will look dated when the graphics and color scheme go out of style and yet... its basically the same bike except for the slightly downgraded component level...

Look at any quality classic lugged steel frame by Moots, Seven, Serotta (and many others) and you are likely to find a clean frame that is well constructed out of quality tubes in a time tested manner that does not need flashy decals or similar meaningless cosmetic ornimentation. The quality of the frame's construction and materials speak for themselves.

My feeling is that you can afford a custom built frame but can't yet justify the price. Fine by me but, rather than spend any more money on almost what want, you should tough if out for another season or two and save the $$$ to get exactly what fits you.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm in total agreeance with you! Granted, you brainwashed me a year ago, so no surprise that I agree.

I'm in debt :( I shouldn't buy a used $200 production frame that fits me, let alone a $700 custom frame. I'll probably just go deeper into debt with the full custom build :D thing is, it's hard to land a women when you're broke. But at least my bike never b:tches at me ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
LordOpie said:
I'm in total agreeance with you! Granted, you brainwashed me a year ago, so no surprise that I agree.

I'm in debt :( I shouldn't buy a used $200 production frame that fits me, let alone a $700 custom frame. I'll probably just go deeper into debt with the full custom build :D thing is, it's hard to land a women when you're broke. But at least my bike never b:tches at me ;)
Yeah and cheap women really aren't that bad... :eek:

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Why did he go with a compact frame design and 7 degrees at that? All of the Specialized line has a pretty tall head tube for their size vs other bikes I sell (trek,lemond, c'dale, felt, orbea, etc...) so its a good place to start. An IF steel Crown Jewel is the cheapest custom frame I can think of from a company I would trust. Toby Staton(spelling?)/Hot Tubes makes steel race frames at decent prices and has had alot of east coast success.

Does anyone make decently priced custom alum frames?

damnit jim

Monkey
Jun 22, 2002
Find hell, make a left
Serial Midget said:
Loopie, start asking the old ****ers on group rides why they are riding custum made frames. Ask them how long they have had their frames and if they would give them up for something new and flashy off the shelf.

What you will find is that many of the quiet roadies routinely ride in excess of 10,000 mile per year and are riding frames that are 10 or 15 years old. While they may have felt the original price of their custom built frames was steep - the years of service they have gotten for the $$$ spent turns out to be quite a bargain.

Next go talk to a big dog wannabe and ask him about his current hight zoot production frame and you will find that it is likely to be a current model that he has had for only a short time and yet he is drooling over some other higher zoot deal with an even tighther carbon weave that will result in a .005% increase in lateral stiffness... blah, blah, blah.

Then step back and consider the marketing techniques employed by road bike frame mass manufacturers - new colors, new angles, new decals and bigger numbers to go along with the ever increasing prices each year. A three year old major manufucturer's road bike will look dated when the graphics and color scheme go out of style and yet... its basically the same bike except for the slightly downgraded component level...

Look at any quality classic lugged steel frame by Moots, Seven, Serotta (and many others) and you are likely to find a clean frame that is well constructed out of quality tubes in a time tested manner that does not need flashy decals or similar meaningless cosmetic ornimentation. The quality of the frame's construction and materials speak for themselves.

My feeling is that you can afford a custom built frame but can't yet justify the price. Fine by me but, rather than spend any more money on almost what want, you should tough if out for another season or two and save the $$$ to get exactly what fits you.
Where's that rant when I ask the question?... is my post count not high enough to be graced with your wisdom.

very good info however, thank you

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Bianchi?

I worked for a shop that did fits. Alot of the Bianchi's were good for long legged peeps.

Haven't looked at there specs in awhile though.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
how tall are you???

I'm 6 feet 3 inches with a 36 inch inseam....

I have 3 bikes that are all production that fit me well.

XC: TST titanium 21" (old kona geometry). fits like a glove. A++++++++.
road: airborne zeppelin 62 cm... fits well. but I could fit a 60 cm.
cross: stock kona jake the snake 60 cm... no complaints.

I think a road bike thats slightly larger than my cross bike and slightly smaller than my road bike would be PERFECT... But I'm happy and have no fit issues (no aching body parts).

I could give measurements of the geometry of my frames if you wish.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm tellin' ya, swallow your pride and take off the decals... :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
LordOpie said:
I'm 5'10" with an apparent 34.5" inseam. I'm a freak I guess.
Hmm...

I'd:

1) Get a second fitting from another shop, then average the two results. Why? Different shops may handle an unusual case in different ways. At the shop I worked at, people would come in already measured, and we'd do it over anyway. Often something was a little off. Sometimes we'd get a second opinion from different staff at our shop. It helps.

2) Go custom. You will be happier, and have a nicer bike for a little more money.

3) Have your shins reduced. Painfull and expensive, but you won't be a freak anymore.

These are nice bikes BTW, I used to build 'em:

http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/