Quantcast

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
wow, this sebastion vettel X2010 challenge is pretty damn hard with a controller
That's a hard car to drive with a wheel, let alone a controller... You should at least invest in a DFGT. They can be found for >$100 if you look around.

and for the new page...

Re: this weeks seasonal races...

I can lend someone cars for the seasonal races if anybody needs one or some. I just built a BAD ASS Shwimmwagen. 120hp, 800kg, racing med tires and painted white Gotta get the full customize trans or you'll be doing 60mph for 5 laps around Cape Ring. ZZzzzzzz...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
all the new seasonal races seem harder then the last batch, but nothing too difficult.
the Alfa 8C is and TVR handle horribly. i raced the Abt Audi TT GT for the touring car race and easily beat everyone else. i used the car in the German Touring car series so didnt need to buy another car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I whipped through Seasonal Races #5 today. Thoughts:

1) Schimmwagen is a tail-happy SOB. I also liked driving it from the follow-cam view, which I normally despise. In-car view was kind of annoying because of the tinted windshield.

2) Sharp right-hand turns in the 207 GTi from interior view are an exercise in faith. :lol:

3) I've never liked how any of the TVRs handle. The digital tachometer in the Speed 6 is strange.

4) 8C is a heavy car. I lightened mine (which I'd already bought before) without feeling bad about it.

5) The short version of the Nurburgring GP course is really short. Short course is short, true story. 2M payout is nice, although I have no idea what I'll do with it. I now have 11,612,226 credits and am at both A- and B-spec level 29. I'll grind my B-spec guys when I remember to on the Indy 500 but I'm going to refuse to A-spec grind and will just wait for the next batch of seasonal events to level up.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I'm going to refuse to A-spec grind and will just wait for the next batch of seasonal events to level up.
I was going to comment on your whole post but this would get out of hand. I agree with this totally though, but I also refuse to do almost anything in B-spec. I'm still level 1 B-spec for the moment. I'm doing a weekly "Challenge" on another forum and enjoying the Seasonal races. That combined with buying and racing cars that I really like pretty much takes up my playing time. We could do the same Challenge on here if you guys would be interested, I run it on the other forum.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i think we should start a challenge since online play sucks IMO and im getting sick of endurance races.
im with curbjumper in not doing any moremB-spec races. i think im at level 4 but dont want to be bothered doing anymore. this is a racing game, not The Sims.

a RM race series would be cool too

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
i think we should start a challenge since online play sucks IMO and im getting sick of endurance races.

a RM race series would be cool too
That's one vote. If we can get decent interest I'll just copy/paste the rules and other stuff from the other forum into a new thread on here. We're on our 3rd week right now but we'll just pick up from this week to make it easier on myself trying to juggle 2 :nopity:

It's basically run in the Arcade Time Trial with Arcade cars to keep it mostly based on driving skill. You get a week to run your best time, take a screenshot and submit it via PM.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm down. Only suggestion (as we did in prior RM time trials): have the screenshots hosted and posted in the very thread.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I'm posting this in here to keep the Challenge thread clean.

you can tweak your car in arcade mode still. its not different than the beginning of any other race
I don't recall being able to change ride height though. I need to check it out when I put a session in tomorrow. Expect a new time :D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Using an Arcade Only car does not allow those kinds of changes. Please use the Arcade Only cars in these challenges.
you neglected to say Arcade Only cars until now. all that was previously mentioned was using the time trial in the Arcade section.

edit: also those with a wheel combo will win every time over us racers using a controller. there is no way us controller users can compete.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I don't have any ideas for wheel vs. controller.. but I vote that we go ahead and regulate assists and tires. I think that removing all of the variables we can will make the challenge more competitive and more fun.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
you neglected to say Arcade Only cars until now. all that was previously mentioned was using the time trial in the Arcade section.

edit: also those with a wheel combo will win every time over us racers using a controller. there is no way us controller users can compete.
I don't have any ideas for wheel vs. controller.. but I vote that we go ahead and regulate assists and tires. I think that removing all of the variables we can will make the challenge more competitive and more fun.

These are reasons why I didn't want to go and start a thread without getting opinions from people first.

In regard to the DS3 vs. Wheel argument, I ran a couple laps last night with my DS3 and I was matching lap times that I put down with my DFGT wheel. I don't see much of a difference in times between the 2 so far. I mean, sstalder beat my time by ~4seconds with a DS3 while I used the DFGT wheel. If more people complain about it then I'll change it but I don't see much of a difference.

Regulating assists and tires will never work because people can change those however they like and don't have to tell anyone. Same with the wheel vs. controller. I could use my DFGT and just say that I did it with a controller, or vice-versa. There are just too many variables that aren't controllable, especially over the internet.

If you have any thoughts on how things should be run, by all means voice your opinion and I'll take it into consideration. The way I have it though leaves it open enough that people can run whatever they like and submit that time. If someone runs a 1:09:xx with TCS on and I run a 1:10.xx with TCS off, the next time I put a session in I'll run with TCS on to see if it helps. It's all about doing whatever you can to get the fastest lap out of the Arcade Only cars (which I didn't exactly specify but I thought it was apparent. I'll change that now).

Last edited:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Toshi took down the overall win this week and JeffKill took the bonus race, so congrats guys! I say that, for a reward, everyone in the Challenge should +rep the winner each week. Just an idea...

FYI: if you don't enter a time then you get placed under the slowest time, so the 2 guys who didn't submit this week tied for 8th.

I'm waiting for his guidelines for the next race and the leaderboard will be updated in the new thread. :thumb:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think my time was the only one in the top 3 with SRF on. I never logged a time, as did the others, with SRF off. Meh. Oh well, next week will be a different ballgame and the rules will be stable. Let me check on the Arcade Only cars and tracks and see what might be clever.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I think my time was the only one in the top 3 with SRF on. I never logged a time, as did the others, with SRF off. Meh. Oh well, next week will be a different ballgame and the rules will be stable. Let me check on the Arcade Only cars and tracks and see what might be clever.
Sounds good. Looking forward to a PM from ya. Feel free to throw in a bonus race if you'd like, or I can pick one, or we can have no bonus race. All up to you, Champ :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
New main event:

Arcade Mode, Time Trial.
Track: Nurburgring Nordschleife / Weather Change / Change Time (not the 24h version).
Car: Arcade Only Nissan GT-R '07
Tires: Racing (Rain)
Assists: No SRF. Real for the reduce traction on wet track option. Heavy damage.

New bonus event:

Arcade Mode, Time Trial.
Track: Cote d'Azur
Car: Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02
Tires: Sport (Soft)
Assists: No SRF. Real for the reduce traction on wet track option. Heavy damage.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I'd rather not do a "time change" course as some might get rain and some might not. Ya know? I like everything else though.
Exactly. Unfortunately they don't give us the option of picking the time of day or weather when you do time/weather change courses in arcade mode, it's all random. So everyone could have different track conditions.

Im all for the Nurburgring though. Any car on that track is fine with me :thumb:

Also, as far as the heavy damage setting goes, I have no problem turning it on, if that's what the rules are, but... It doesn't really make any difference when you're driving by yourself. If you drive off the track and mess up your car, you just hit restart and you're on a new lap.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Ok, as of this morning I've made the executive decision to throw last weeks times out the window seeing as we ALL didn't run with SRF off and I don't want any arguments. I've taken Toshi's suggestion for the next race into consideration and Week 2 will be posted up shortly.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Also I set the leaderboard to show what it would look like if points from last week stood. You'll notice that nobody has points though, so lets try and keep this clean and sportsman-like.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Is there any way to make B-spec less boring? So far I've just been entering insanely fast cars into the beginner and amateur races just to get them over with. I still haven't found the fun in B-spec.. I don't understand why they even put it in the game...

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I just want to raise my B-spec so I can find a high paying race that I can win without any input and then run it over and over again for easy money. Right now I'm lvl 23 A-spec and lvl 8 B-spec.
Honestly by the time you get to the point where B-spec prints money you don't need the money. Right now I'm a-spec lvl 28 b spec 20 with 10mil and I've already purchased the FGT so I already own any expensive car I need.

I was hoping I would more awesome prize cars from b-spec like the mazda you get to win like the wind, but so far most a repeat prizes..

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I got gifted an X1, won everything I could from expert, level 29 a-spec, level 1 b-spec, have the cars I'd ever want and the money to buy anything I can think of. I won't touch B-spec and probably won't touch A-spec any more either. Seasonals, online races and the GT5 challenge will take up my time from now on.

Honestly, you won't make any decent money on the hardware races but the Seasonal races pay out like you're robbing Ft. Knox. You need money? Do seasonals and get what you want.

I'm still waiting for all that DLC we've been promised though...

Last edited:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Updated the week 2 thread with my times and pics included. I drive the ring daily on this game, and know the track like the back of my hand. My time was set with SRF off track edge/grip set to real & heavy damage.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i took a 4 more seconds off my time and every time i get close to taking another 2-3 seconds, i go a bit off-road for a second or two at the end of the last straight. getting a invalid time isnt too consistent it seems. ive spun and hit walls but it didnt go red, but if you cut a kerb a bit too much, you go red.

i saw gamestop has a wheel/pedal combo for $79 but the drawback is it doesnt have force feedback....damn

Was just 47/60 laps into an endurance race, paused to read a text message, and accidentally hit restart...
ive done that twice already. all while answering a text. ive learned to triple check where the cursor is and to hit O instead of X to return.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
i took a 4 more seconds off my time and every time i get close to taking another 2-3 seconds, i go a bit off-road for a second or two at the end of the last straight. getting a invalid time isnt too consistent it seems. ive spun and hit walls but it didnt go red, but if you cut a kerb a bit too much, you go red.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It sucks when I'm on track to a decent time and right invalidate my time right at the end. Frustrating, it is.

i saw gamestop has a wheel/pedal combo for $79 but the drawback is it doesnt have force feedback....damn

I've heard that the DFGT can be found for about the same price if you look around online.

ive done that twice already. all while answering a text. ive learned to triple check where the cursor is and to hit O instead of X to return.

This.
Oh, and EVERYONE, please delete any posts in the GT Challenge thread that aren't a submitted time. Thanks!