Quantcast

Grand Junction

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
For all you monkies that have been to Grand Junction, I gots me some questions to ask you. I am thinking about moving down there and getting my residency so I can attend Mesa State U. for cheaper. My questions:

How are the jobs in GJ? Is it more of a tourist town?
How is the city? A lot of stuff to do besides biking?
Would you live there?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
GJT has the nicknames of Grand Junkyard and Grand Dysfunction here in Steamboat. Also, you could live anywhere in CO to get residency so why not live somewhere w/ more things to do. Durango, Summit County, Steamboat, and the ultimate sleeper (under rated) of a town Salida for both summer and winter fun. Denver, Boulder and Ft Collins (aka Ft Fun) for night life and tail. Lastly C Springs to get married (j/k).

Edit: have to add this - GJT is really close to Fruita and Moab and you can ride year round there. It's not a tourist town so the jobs there will tend to be more year round vs. the resorts' seasonal nature. Availability of jobs is an unknown to me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Grand Junction is a nice town. Probably one of the most affordable towns in Colorado. I'd move to Montrose before Junction, though - it's closer to the "real" mountains (read: San Juans).

Year 'round riding is probably more feasible in Junction than most other towns.

And be careful of living in a resort town - most people that move those towns never leave. :D

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
And be careful of living in a resort town - most people that move those towns never leave. :D
-S.S.-
Resort towns do have pretty good sucking power to keep you there. I've been in the 'Boat for 14 years. I've been trying for the past 3 years to get out and goto school in Golden but have found one reason or another to stay.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
These guys speak the truth. Go to GJ if you are worried about cost of living or don't like snow. I would imagine that GJ would have more job opps than any other place mentioned. Otherwise, there are plenty of dope places in Colorado to live.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
The riding in Grand Junction is some of the best in the state and it is year round. If you are used to a big city it is definitely slower paced. Not a lot to do other than ride bikes and motorcycles.

I have 2 rooms for rent for only $325.00/month including ultilites so the cost of living is cheap. Email me if you want more info on Junction or my rooms for rent.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
Just for comparison, my rent in Steamboat is $625.00 including HS internet, and utilities, but not phone. BUT, this is not typical of Steamboat, I'm getting a pretty good deal for this town.
Jeezus. I'll say. Are you in your own pad? Or do you have a roomie or two?

-S.S.-

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Grand Junction isn't that bad..... I want to live in Colorado but cant decide where. I have been offered jobs in Avon, Gypsum, Eagle, Durango, Cortez, Colorado Springs, Grand Junction, and Breck. I really would like to move but man the cost of living is spendy. I traveled to Durango and looked for a house to rent but they were around $1000 a month. I might as well buy.

Where is a good town with lots of riding and minimal snow? I ride XC/DH/FR....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Kanter said:
Grand Junction isn't that bad..... I want to live in Colorado but cant decide where. I have been offered jobs in Avon, Gypsum, Eagle, Durango, Cortez, Colorado Springs, Grand Junction, and Breck. I really would like to move but man the cost of living is spendy. I traveled to Durango and looked for a house to rent but they were around $1000 a month. I might as well buy.

Where is a good town with lots of riding and minimal snow? I ride XC/DH/FR....
Grand Junction would seem the likely choice, followed by Durango, Cortez, and the Springs. The rest are "mountain" towns and are cold and snowy for the most part from Nov-May.

DH in Colorado is quite limited, apparently. Durango would get you closest to Silverton Mountain, which apparently is pretty sick DH.

-S.S.-