Quantcast

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
has anybody heard anything about dates or mountains yet for next year? i'm trying to plan next season a little with vacation times and all that. and gas prices are supposed to go up over $4.00/gallon again so that'll factor in too for all of us i'm sure. that killed me that one summer a few years ago when it was that high...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hope the schedule comes out soon...I'd like to make some longer trips now that I have a reliable car...seems like I only race at plattekill, which is a beast in its own right.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
GES Schedule should be out by the end of the Month same as last season, we still have some venue dates to sort out and finalize some sponsors, FYI very Similar Schedule, so travel will not be much different with only a couple of new locations, none of which is yet set in stone just yet. And I hope we do not see 4.00 a gallon..........arrgh

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
rumor has it that the Capital Cup at Wisp resort June17-19 will be one stop on the GES....a little bird told me.
Thanks Mike. I hope they get the schedule figured out soon. Just put in my vacation dates last week for what I did know. Need to get the rest nailed down so that I am able to take them. I am sure lots of others are in the same boat. (and yes, I have promoted over 25 races so I know how difficult it is to get the schedule done)

Oct 7, 2010
I know they said the end of the month but that was LAST month. I just got back from a race and there were people saying that the GES may not even happen this year. I have noticed that most of the folks that race downhill seem to have limitless budgets and never seem to have a real job but for all of us that do have to put in for vacation to get to the races, not having a schedule in the end of Feb makes it tough.

Maybe it's executive decision time to pick some other races that I know are going to happen.

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
I know they said the end of the month but that was LAST month. I just got back from a race and there were people saying that the GES may not even happen this year. I have noticed that most of the folks that race downhill seem to have limitless budgets and never seem to have a real job but for all of us that do have to put in for vacation to get to the races, not having a schedule in the end of Feb makes it tough.

Maybe it's executive decision time to pick some other races that I know are going to happen.
Wow!!! I raced 12 races last year on a limited budget with a real job. Or is a nurse not a real job?
Just curious, what is your "real job"?
GES will happen, just be patient.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Wow!!! I raced 12 races last year on a limited budget with a real job. Or is a nurse not a real job?
Just curious, what is your "real job"?
GES will happen, just be patient.
I think you may be missing his main point that in some workplaces you have to submit your days you want off at or towards the beginning of the year. If they keep pushing it back some people may have to start guessing what weekends the races will be.

However it would be nice to have some kind of update or a partial schedule release.

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
In addition, some of us are trying to schedule around world cup, bmx, pro GRT, other series, etc... not to mention our day job.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Post all you want about the subject, but try to understand if the GES could release a schedule they would, it is in their best interest more than any of yours....like actually trying to put on a multiple state series without loosing their shirt....not just a race fee.
How would you like it if a prelim schedule came out, you took said vacation time off to go, and then the mountain won't sign the contract and the race is off....patience racer patience...;)

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Post all you want about the subject, but try to understand if the GES could release a schedule they would, it is in their best interest more than any of yours....like actually trying to put on a multiple state series without loosing their shirt....not just a race fee.
How would you like it if a prelim schedule came out, you took said vacation time off to go, and then the mountain won't sign the contract and the race is off....patience racer patience...;)
Yopaulie....I think we all understand what your saying and for the most part there are same few people continually asking to have the 2011 schedule, me included, but I did take your advice on January 30th, when you said to be patient......and I have not asked again since then.

I think that Todd and Kelli had a great vision when they created the GES, it certainly has had a few hiccups along the way, but now after four years it has a core group of followers which has grown ..... and even a influx of some people who were just freeriders but tried racing and got hooked on the GES.

I just think after all the hard work Dan has done to try and help it grow over the last two years (since he took over the series promotion), I would just hate to see some of these new racers and core group get turned off or leave the series. I think a little communication from Dan would go a long way to keep the good relationship with the racers ie: paying customers.

We appreciate the work that goes into this series and certainly want it to be a viable situation for all involved. Many of us can pick up on a weekend and travel to the races no big deal....but their are racers who don't have the flexibility. At least some 2011 tentative dates like last year would help these people with the vacation planning.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have to agree, it's already march, usually 2 months out from the first race of the season, and tentative dates aren't even posted yet.

I'm one of those freeriders turned AM racers and originally I wanted to compete in the full GES series...but the first year three of them were 7.5+ hours away, all in western PA, then massanutten fell on a friday (WTF)...I made it to a couple races at plattekill and that was it. Then I kind of gave up on it. I think this year I'm going to plan on whatever is close enough to race and what I can plan on, and so far that's the eastern states cup, parts of the GRT, and whatever happens at whiteface.

You'll always have hardcore racers following the series wherever and whenever it goes, but you won't make more racers by making the series more difficult to follow. I'm sure people will poo poo this, but I'd rather go back to freeriding (and having fun) then biting my nails up until the last minute.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I have to agree, it's already march, usually 2 months out from the first race of the season, and tentative dates aren't even posted yet.

I'm one of those freeriders turned AM racers and originally I wanted to compete in the full GES series...but the first year three of them were 7.5+ hours away, all in western PA, then massanutten fell on a friday (WTF)...I made it to a couple races at plattekill and that was it. Then I kind of gave up on it. I think this year I'm going to plan on whatever is close enough to race and what I can plan on, and so far that's the eastern states cup, parts of the GRT, and whatever happens at whiteface.

You'll always have hardcore racers following the series wherever and whenever it goes, but you won't make more racers by making the series more difficult to follow. I'm sure people will poo poo this, but I'd rather go back to freeriding (and having fun) then biting my nails up until the last minute.

poo poo......just kidding. Driving from Chicago I like everyone else will make as many races as possible and I'm encouraged to hear Snowshoe may be in the mix, love that place!

I too need to block my vacation time at work......luckly I'm between bosses at the moment so I have more wiggle room.

J

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
poo poo......just kidding. Driving from Chicago I like everyone else will make as many races as possible and I'm encouraged hear that Snowshoe may be in the mix, love that place!

I too need to block my vacation time at work......luckly I'm between bosses at the moment so I have more wiggle room.

J

Just make sure to block off September 10/11, 2011 for the 6th Annual Whiteface 5 K DH.