Quantcast

GravityFreakTJ how about Vino

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I am stoked. Regardless of whether or not he is on the sauce, he is a fun racer to watch. I have a lot of respect for the guys that have the skills to attack on downhills and stay away. He has good bike handling skills and good tactics. Nice to see Contador play the role of teammate and not just team leader.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Agreed, Ire. I doubt he'd be dumb enough to dope up now, but, regardless, Vino is always entertaining and aggressive on the bike. And isn't that what bike racing is: entertainment? It is for me....I have guys I do and don't like to see win, but I'm more interested in seeing people race aggressively and making things interesting. I guess I don't care as much about who dopes or doesn't.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree that Vino always makes racing more exciting due to his aggressive, attacking style.

But I will always question whether he is racing fairly, and that sucks.

And it's also pretty sad to hear that he was boo'd at the line at L-B-L.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Booing is a legitimate part of any sport :)

I have not followed road racing enough to know much about Vino but as JRogers said it was a very entertaining race yesterday.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Boo Hisss. Two year older after two years off racing and he wins a monument? Boo Hiss. I am sceptical. But, he did his time and raced well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I agree that Vino always makes racing more exciting due to his aggressive, attacking style.

But I will always question whether he is racing fairly, and that sucks.

And it's also pretty sad to hear that he was boo'd at the line at L-B-L.
I thinking boo'ing is the right of any fan.

I am not impressed with any cheater, whether it is McGwire or Vino.

Don't forget that Meirhagen came back after his suspension. He didn't give back any of the loot he received for winning the World Championship.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, apparently Vino's sensitive ears heard the RM chatter and responded to the trolls:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/04/news/vino-fires-back-at-critics_113322

Riled by the negative impact of his victory in Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Astana’s Alexandre Vinokourov took the unusual step of writing an open letter Monday in a bid to convince his detractors that his win was untainted.

Vinokourov, one of cycling’s big names of the past decade, was booed and jeered by some fans as he rode across the finish line of the prestigious Belgian one-day classic on Sunday.

And after the race he faced several questions by reporters who demanded to know why, less than a year after serving a two-year ban for blood doping at the 2007 Tour de France, he was riding with such gusto.

Vinokourov, claiming he was “saddened” by press reports doubting the integrity of his win, said he has faced a battery of dope tests recently and has nothing to hide.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I think he's clean just because he is subject to extra scrutiny. If he came out and apologized for his past indiscretions it would go a long way towards healing the wounds he created in 2007.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I don't really think it's possible to cleanly rise to the level he was when he was doped up. It's not like he wasn't training hard before