Quantcast

Grazing vs. the Full Meal Deal?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
So my doctor says I don't eat right for my body - because I tend to do Breakfast, a big lunch, and a small dinner with little-to-no snacking in between

Since I'm hypo-glycemic and now apparently have a problem with acid reflux...yay :rolleyes: I'm not under orders to a) learn how to graze throughout the day and maintain my bodies sugar levels, and b) cut out all caffinated goodies, definitely cut coffee, cut chocolates, cut some of the spicyness, and no eating at all 2 hours before bedtime.

But the bigger problem is figuring out how to do this. I eat all three of my meals out on the road generally. Otherwise they're spread apart like this: breakfast - 5am, lunch 11am, dinner...uh, when I get home which is like 10pm and right before I crash. I feel like a total glutton loading my backpack down with snacks and granola bars an fruits and veggies, but I'm thinking that's what has to happen. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Anyone else on a restricted diet of sorts? How do you do it without dropping weight insanely? All girls say they wanna lose weight, but I'm not exactly big here...And my mother will lynch me if she catches me buying anything smaller than a size 12 little girls...
Anyone else ons

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I like to eat little snacks all day.

Smoothie with at least 3 fruits in the early am
Yogurt and cottage cheese mixture
Nutrigrain bar
popcorn
raisins
apples with peanut butter
oatmeal graham crackers

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Yum, all that looks good...but how do you keep your protein levels up if you're just snacking all day? Have you ever tried any of those newfangled protein bar thingies? Any good?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Yum, all that looks good...but how do you keep your protein levels up if you're just snacking all day? Have you ever tried any of those newfangled protein bar thingies? Any good?
My smoothies are made with Soy milk which has protein, I also add a little tofu - you never know it's there with all the other added stuff.
The yogurt is high in protein.
The peanut butter has protein too.
Protein powder in my afterwork out drinks.

I still eat mini lunches and dinners, and I consume a lot of beans

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I usually will make a morning milk-shake - skim milk, banana, wheat germ, and soy protein powder...

but oh yeah...the doc did list one other factor...apparently dairy products are not good on acidy systems such as mine. :( You'd think it'd be the opposite case, because I love cc with peaches or berries, and the berry yogurts are awesome!

I swear, I should eat like my dad, nothing but meat and fruit and veggies all day. :( too bad I don't like meat much.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
I usually will make a morning milk-shake - skim milk, banana, wheat germ, and soy protein powder...

but oh yeah...the doc did list one other factor...apparently dairy products are not good on acidy systems such as mine. :( You'd think it'd be the opposite case, because I love cc with peaches or berries, and the berry yogurts are awesome!

I swear, I should eat like my dad, nothing but meat and fruit and veggies all day. :( too bad I don't like meat much.
I don't eat much meat at all....but for a good source of protien you should try buffalo meat, very low in fat and a good taste....I also eat a ton of beans.

I can't eat a lot of foods due to really bad heartburn, like banana, oranges, peanutbutter...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am a grazer but I am very bad on the fruits deal. Yesterday I mad 4 gallons of chicken soup with two chickens, one large bag of carrots, celery, 4 LBS of potatos and a big bag of noodles. I will eat this for every meal except breakfast until it's gone in about a week. Last week I made beef stew, next week maybe lentle stew.

Yesterday I had a big bowl of oatmeal with 1t of butter and 2T of real maple syrup, 4 bowls of soup, 16 oz of skim milk and some cookies. I try to keep my calories at 3500 per day but will be reducing them starting December 1st as I begin to train for a 50 miler that I am doing in April. I'm going to try and lower my body fat to 8% and reduce my weight to 155 from 165.

So... on average I eat 5 or 6 times a day.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I am a grazer but I am very bad on the fruits deal. Yesterday I mad 4 gallons of chicken soup with two chickens, one large bag of carrots, celery, 4 LBS of potatos and a big bag of noodles. I will eat this for every meal except breakfast until it's gone in about a week. Last week I made beef stew, next week maybe lentle stew.

Yesterday I had a big bowl of oatmeal with 1t of butter and 2T of real maple syrup, 4 bowls of soup, 16 oz of skim milk and some cookies. I try to keep my calories at 3500 per day but will be reducing them starting December 1st as I begin to train for a 50 miler that I am doing in April. I'm going to try and lower my body fat to 8% and reduce my weight to 155 from 165.

So... on average I eat 5 or 6 times a day.
Holy Crap that's a lot of food!!!! :eek: I think on a good day I'm around 1200 -1500 calories!! My bf typically ranges from 13-15% which isn't too shabby for a girl, though could be less if I had more time for play and less dedicted to work and study...;)

My day is usually either a bowl of cereal and some fruit, or some kind of milkshake/fruit thing, coffee (which is soon to be eliminated), then lunch is a bowl of soup - usually like chicken noodle or chicken and rice, or a homemade gumbo type, then I get a fruit around 2 or 3, and then a salad or fruit and cheeses for dinner. :( I can't quite figure out how to trim what I already eat? I mean I do snack on sweets that are around the office, but that's about it. When you add it up, it ain't much at all...but I find that if I eat more than that my stomach gets realllly upset.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i eat about 1500 a day too.

i graze and love it. i love to eat all day and not feel bad about it.

just by a whole bunch of those little "disposable" ziploc containers and a lunch box. i dont know if you are interested but they make soy yogurt.

also, give spiru-tein a try. it comes in single serving packets, you can mix it with milk or fruit juice and it is LOADED with all kinds of vitamins and 14g of soy protien.

http://www.herbshop.com/np_spiru.htm

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by laura
i eat about 1500 a day too.

i graze and love it. i love to eat all day and not feel bad about it.

just by a whole bunch of those little "disposable" ziploc containers and a lunch box. i dont know if you are interested but they make soy yogurt.

also, give spiru-tein a try. it comes in single serving packets, you can mix it with milk or fruit juice and it is LOADED with all kinds of vitamins and 14g of soy protien.

http://www.herbshop.com/np_spiru.htm
Sweet, I'll check it out!! :) And I'm learning to appreciate soy...going to have to get me some soy milk for my cereal in the morning...