Quantcast

Greensboro NC, Country Park

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
wheeliemert said:
We may have to make the jumps a bit more lippy. It's really easy to over shoot the landings. :blah: It's getting better and better!
I like that idea too, those tables are great but i think they'd be really awesom with a little lip so they'd be more trickable, dont get me wrong though the whole thing is really awesom great job guys

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the escape berm after the second table (the bigger table) should be followed by a big left facing hip. but thats just my 2 cents worth.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
biggins said:
the escape berm after the second table (the bigger table) should be followed by a big left facing hip. but thats just my 2 cents worth.
It is planned to have another table just like the one before it. Then maybe hip off of the BIG table, or hit the berm in the bottom.

As for that dang tree jump: we're thinkin about pulling the face back about a foot, lipping the crap out of it, and cutting the landing down steeper to gain some speed for the step down. ;)

Oh yeah, and hopefully this new line to jump from the log, clear the next take off, and land in the ravine should be wicked! Just have to figure out how to do it, though. Come back in like two months when "phase one" :p is done. Did you know there is supposed to be a freakin' ribbon cutting? :thumb:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
motomike said:
sooo, who IS coming to the workday(s) this weekend?!
I'll be there.......I got my dates mixed up for that wedding I'm supposed to be in. It's the weekend after this one. So....I'm good to go. Gonna shoot for Saturday work at Country Park and a Sunday ride at the Tar River stunts in Wilton.

I'll be there Saturday afternoon and Sunday.
I can't wait to get that monster berm built up.

I like biggins' idea, too...we could easily make an alternate hip transfer out of the unbuilt table. As far as the log gap to the chute, I really don't see how it would be possible without taking out the smaller jump between the second table and the log....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yeah.....I kinda like the idea of that little double between the table and the log gap getting removed as well. If you really want to go for that big of a jump, it's probably necessary. Heck, I'd like to see a bigger takeoff for the step down and maybe pushed back about 4 feet.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah, the closest somehas come to clearing it(the only one who has tried it was dickiesbike1, or something like that) his front wheel hit the top of the stepdown kicker. It was gnarly to watch! But he came from the side of the normal line and skipped the table and that little double, then hipped the jump.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Mike et al...

Will there be / are there lines for intermediate and beginner riders to build skills on? 28' tables and monster berms sound nice but shouldn't there be something for everybody? I mention this mostly because as a county park type-o-deal I'd think that involving as wide a rider base as possible would be very important to the longevity of this riding area. As well as providing a safer place for said riders to learn.

In addition it would set a shining example of what can be done at the county level for riders all over - not just in Greensboro...

My .02

Dave

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah, we are working on a very beginner line, with two little tables and at least three small berms, to work on your skills. Also, please note that on any given day, the freeriders and dirt jumpers are not the majority out there. There are a ton of little kids and their friends and cross country riders and trail riders who stop by for a run or two. Every jump is completely rollable and safe. No one at any level has directly complained or showed dirappointments with the place. This gap jump is just something that only a few riders would even imagine or notice.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Its a long drive. But I will at some point. I graduated from NC State last summer and moved to Annapolis Md. I still have lots of friends and research connections down there so I should get down for a visit eventually...

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Greyhound said:
Yeah.....I kinda like the idea of that little double between the table and the log gap getting removed as well. If you really want to go for that big of a jump, it's probably necessary. Heck, I'd like to see a bigger takeoff for the step down and maybe pushed back about 4 feet.
ya, if that little double were gone it would also help compensate speed wise for what you'd need if the stepdown takeoff were moved back, is there any way that we could maybe make a lippy park of the log jump to triple to the hill and then a rollable part so you wouldnt just get rocketed and could roll/speed jump it to hit the stepdown?

escapeartist, you read my mind....I think that'd be the perfect solution and we would still maintain the flow.

I stopped by there today on the way home and it is 28-30 feet from the log to the beginning of the chute downslope. With the right lip at the log, it's definitely doable...maybe even by me. :eek: :monkey:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
actually, that was the plan, as of a week ago. Or at least one of 'em. We're gonna run it by the rest of the dudes this weekend. On another note, that probably won't get touch this weekend. We are running out of time to use the dirt which was supplied to us because they need it somewhere else. We're gonna try to place 4-6 stash piles around the course for maintenance and building new stuff. The new jumps and berms are of great priority this weekend. And don't forget that 6-pack. It should be pretty ill.

Definitely, Mike. Now is the time for brute strength and ignorance...we can do the tuning later, but that dirt is red gold that represents our future. :thumb:

I just got this info from Mark, the project coordinator on the rider side:

The Park has agreed to an official opening date of 5/14. Put it on your
calendar as a don't miss event. It will be important for all of the Park
Board Members & city council see how much public support there is for this
project.
I think we have the capability to blow their minds if we get 50 or 60 riders out there in front of the city council.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
easily. ok, hopefully. especially those traveling folks. Those city slickers would be impressed to see people from out of state coming to their park.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
gastrocnemius said:
I think we have the capability to blow their minds if we get 50 or 60 riders out there in front of the city council.
Ya, you guys are doin this exactly how it should be done. Bug the hell out of the powers-that-be until they let you do it, then make sure they never regret it and get a ton of people to show up. Thanks a lot guys

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
motomike said:
Yeah, the closest somehas come to clearing it(the only one who has tried it was dickiesbike1, or something like that) his front wheel hit the top of the stepdown kicker. It was gnarly to watch! But he came from the side of the normal line and skipped the table and that little double, then hipped the jump.
i plan on being out there either sat/sun or both.....if my family can kick the flu. we're all running 103+ fevers and i've been in swat school all week. let me tell you how much it sucks doing dynamic building entries when your face is swollen from allergies and you're head is sweating when it's 40 degrees outside :help: :dead: :mumble:

here's db1 on his attempt of the gap....none of us really thought that he could make it, but it's always fun having a dumb guniea pig in the group to entertain us with superb crashes :thumb:

:D

and i know i posted this already, but you can never get enough "adult jumping a kids 16" bike" pics...so here goes again :D

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
great news! Cycles de ORO bike shop of Greensboro, NC is raffeling off a brand new, 2005 Specialized P.1 at the grand opening. What the idea is, as far as I know, we are trying to get enough money in tickets and donations to pay for the bike, then the extras will go toward lumber for "phase II". That's the sweetest deal if I've ever seen one. There is also talk about if we get enough money, maybe upgrading some parts and what not. Isn't this COOL!!!!!

See y'all saturday.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
it might be cool to have a very informal jump jam at the grand opening. im thinkin a $5 or $10 entry fee, then at the end of the day the riders vote on who did the best. The winner gets half the money and the rest goes to phase II.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
kssssssshhhhhh, attention everyone, can you hear me?! The official opening date of the freeride park will be 5/14. Be there or you may not win a bike!