Quantcast

***Greeting Card Industry Support Day, GMT***

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Make sure to head down Birds of Prey...and imagine yourself going 85mph. Especially over the two rollovers... :panic:
Golden Eagle has been my favorite thus far. Not a huge fan of the mountain’s layout otherwise. Didn’t help that I started on Screech Owl and my back was killing me in the bumps.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Happy Valentine's Day, my little ridemonkey sweethearts! <3 <3 :cupidarrow: xoxoxo

For the record, that little greeting right there was more than I got the wife. So you're welcome, you ingrates.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
had second thoughts today about leaving work, then realized they're giving another guy the spot I was hoping for and that I won't get yelled at when the things I'm working don't work (because science). Then those thoughts went away and I got happy.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Baby is sick. Planning on getting rest of house carpet replaced, need to get to HD when she is feeling better. Annual review with boss to be handled over phone today. Plan to get switched over to Google Fi is in place, just need to buy out Sprint contract and tell MIL. Appt scheduled with BMW for later today to get to do list items corrected. Once fixed M is going up for sale. Decision is made.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Baby is sick. Planning on getting rest of house carpet replaced, need to get to HD when she is feeling better. Annual review with boss to be handled over phone today. Plan to get switched over to Google Fi is in place, just need to buy out Sprint contract and tell MIL. Appt scheduled with BMW for later today to get to do list items corrected. Once fixed M is going up for sale. Decision is made.
///Sad ///Monocle

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
///Sad ///Monocle
The shitty thing about my jerb it that I see the end results of not doing things "right" now and how it boils down later. Makes it really hard to turn a blind eye and just say 'fuck it, I'm having fun'.

Talked to a couple the other day in their early 60's with a $250k income who were blindsided when I told them that their leveraged ($150k CC debt), 15 years left on mtge, and income "need" of $275k wasn't going to happen with their $1mm savings if they wanted to retire before 70 (and even then that was questionable). The wife started crying and husband started yelling at me. It's like, do the math. It doesn't add up. You need to be looking at around 10x your current income level in the form of investments/cash to maintain in retirement (general rule of thumb) and that's not factoring pensions or SS.

The shitty thing about my jerb it that I see the end results of not doing things "right" now and how it boils down later. Makes it really hard to turn a blind eye and just say 'fuck it, I'm having fun'.

Talked to a couple the other day in their early 60's with a $250k income who were blindsided when I told them that their leveraged ($150k CC debt), 15 years left on mtge, and income "need" of $275k wasn't going to happen with their $1mm savings if they wanted to retire before 70 (and even then that was questionable). The wife started crying and husband started yelling at me. It's like, do the math. It doesn't add up. You need to be looking at around 10x your current income level in the form of investments/cash to maintain in retirement (general rule of thumb) and that's not factoring pensions or SS.
$150K credit card debt...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Are you a financial adviser? We just hired one out here. Anybody who carries 150k credit card debt shouldn't be surprised by anything.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Are you a financial adviser? We just hired one out here. Anybody who carries 150k credit card debt shouldn't be surprised by anything.
are you new here?
What ^^ said. I believe IAB titled me Financomonkey at one point.

And not technically, primarily because I don't run my own book. I work on a larger scale (albeit for individuals through their employers) in a non-commission structure, more between FA and Financial Planner. The SEC defines me as an Investment Advisor and I have the appropriate FINRA licenses to be an FA though (again because of commission structure).

How in the actual FUCK does this happen?
Huge income, high home equity, etc. Technically Wifey and I are approved for that between the 5 major cards we carry, but we never carry balance so it's moot.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Huge income, high home equity, etc. Technically Wifey and I are approved for that between the 5 major cards we carry, but we never carry balance so it's moot.
I just am trying to grok what in the FUCK you would need to buy to run up CC debt that high? WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY BUYING?!?

It boggles the mind.

Starting to think retiring at 55 with the house paid off and a couple mil in the bank might be feasible. :homer:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just am trying to grok what in the FUCK you would need to buy to run up CC debt that high? WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY BUYING?!?

It boggles the mind.

Starting to think retiring at 55 with the house paid off and a couple mil in the bank might be feasible. :homer:
Higher burn rate than income rate. Have you met the Jones'? Have you decided that you should pay 100% for your 4 kids' college? That you need to lease a new Mercedes SUV every 3 years?

A book everybody here should read.

https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Surprising-Americas/dp/1589795474

At an airport. :disgust: won't make it past airports and airplanes until 6 hours later. :twitch:
That's six hours minimum...

It boggles the mind.

Also would be interesting to see their monthly interest payments...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i did some olympic curling with the AM constitutional....finally at 100 percent from stomach bug...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Also would be interesting to see their monthly interest payments...
I didn't ask, as I just need net income need for my calculations. It was over half of their take home though. I actually figured that it made more sense to stop saving and pay down, while cutting their spending by 30%. That was the only way they could retire by 70. That was part of the crying and yelling. Husband did a really bad job of planning on his own. Machismo gets you nowhere when you have no fucking idea what you are doing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
tl;dr - don't spend money on stupid shit. you can't tell most people that are rich just by looking at them.
Still drills the point through. The Honda Accord driving guy who uses coupons, buys used stuff (not cars often times), and brings lunch from home is probably saving the $4/day difference in lunch expense. With 242 work days (less 4 weeks vacation), that's almost $1k/y. That's $2k/y for the house. It adds up if that's only one example.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still drills the point through. The Honda Accord driving guy who uses coupons, buys used stuff (not cars often times), and brings lunch from home is probably saving the $4/day difference in lunch expense. With 242 work days (less 4 weeks vacation), that's almost $1k/y. That's $2k/y for the house. It adds up if that's only one example.
so how does the ///M fit into that equation on your part?

:busted: