Quantcast

Grillin Corn on the Cob on the Grill

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Anybody got any foolproof recipes and or tips?

I like the taste of fresh corn on the grill. Usually what I do is soak the corn, husks and all in salty water for a good while before grilling - usually works well.

But I'm open to other suggestions.

Anyone?

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
No grillin tips, but, eat'n tips... Mix kosher salt and ceyane pepper about 1 to 1 to form a rust lookin pile. Cut limes in half and press them into the mix real hard to pick up a bunch of it. Rub the lime half up n down the cob to soak iy\t with spicy limy goodness...Way tastier than salt without all the bad stuff!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ridemonkey said:
So you leave the husks on while grilling? How long do you cook them for?
yep leave the husks on - remember they've been soaked and are pretty damned wet - not sure on cooking time - low heat is what I've used. Gives the corn a sweet, smoky taste - way better than just boilin em in water.

But I'd love to hear how other people do it.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Grilling on the grill.... who would have thought!

All joking aside, my mom grills them sometimes but I dont know how she does it. I am pretty sure she leaves the husks on though.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I grill corn on the grill all the time. I don't soak the husks though. I cook them for 20 minutes or so. they are probably done before that but usually I cooking other stuff as well, so the corn comes off when the rest of the food does.

you can tell when they are done because the corn puffs up. just grab it and give it a feel. it's hot though, so be carefull.

usually I just peel it and eat it as is, (adding the usuall butter and your fav. spices if you like.) but sometimes I will peel it and throw it back on the grill for those sexy grill marks.

sometimes I cut the corn off the cob and add it to my salsa or chicken tacos (that are also cooked on the grill)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i take the husk off my corn, rub them all over with a butter then rub them with kosher salt and maybe a little cayenne. then i wrap them in tin foil. im not sure about cooking time but they turn out fantastic everytime.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I remove the husks, heavily butter the inside of a piece of tin foil (you can use some salt as well if you like it), wrap it 2-3 layers thick and throw them around the outside of the grill for a few minutes before I throw my food on.

If you choose not to remove the husks (therefore not wrapping them in tin foil), I like to cook the corn very close to the steaks/burgers/whatever I'm cooking. It flavors the corn nicely with the smoke of whatever you're eating.

Just cooked some corn last night actually :thumb:

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
i just remove the husk and place it on a sheet of foil, put a very little bit of fake butter on it (promise) squeeze a fresh lime over it and sprinkle some cayenne. cooking time... i'm not too sure. 5 minutes to 10 minutes tops i believe. yummmmy !

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Cook until you char the husks. The heat will convert the starch in the corn into sugar. Sweetest tasting corn you'll ever have. Even if it burns through a bit it's ok.

Mike

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sometimes, I like to make Grilled Corn on the Cob wrapped with bacon ('cause bacon makes everything tastey) :D

Basically, I pull down the husks but don't tear them off. Remove the silk and wind a strip of bacon around the kernels. Fold the husk back and tie with kitchen twine. Grill and eat. I don't generally soak the husks either, just spray them with some water if they start to char too much. Takes about 20 minutes I think...probably a bit less even.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I like to put it in foil with a good portion of butter and maybe a little salt. Toss it on until just the ends are black.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I cook it with the husks removed directly on the grill for about 20 minutes, during the last 3 minutes or so brush on melted butter with lemon pepper and sprinkle on some parmesean cheese. If the cheese gets toasted it's done, I promise it'll be the best corn you've ever had.