Quantcast

Grilling and propane

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
H8R said:
If this is an "ordeal" for you, then I hope you are taking things very slow...
Sometimes I simply want to have a couple filets grilled with a nice bottle of wine. 5 minutes of preheat, 8 minutes on a side, 5 minutes on a plate and those steaks are ready to go down the hatch. :thumb:

I can't justify the charcoal "ordeal" compared to that. :D

Of course, I have 3 kids, so there are other things taking up my time. :p

-S.S.-

Edit: I guess "ordeal" wasn't the right word. More of a hassle, not an ordeal.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Sometimes I simply want to have a couple filets grilled with a nice bottle of wine. 5 minutes of preheat, 8 minutes on a side, 5 minutes on a plate and those steaks are ready to go down the hatch. :thumb:

I can't justify the charcoal "ordeal" compared to that. :D

Of course, I have 3 kids, so there are other things taking up my time. :p

-S.S.-

Edit: I guess "ordeal" wasn't the right word. More of a hassle, not an ordeal.
bingo. time is of the essence, and you can control the heat w/ a turn of a dial. i used charcoal briquets for the 1st time in years (on vacation, they had grills for use out near the pool), and it probably took at least 30 minutes before they were glowing and ready for cooking. what a pain in the arse, and the flavor wasn't any different imo.

btw, IAM, i've got a spare tank as well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Anyone have recommendations for a place to buy cheap spare tanks?

Just got a new grill (click!) and am buying all the required accessories. Tanks at the place that I get propane from run $50.00!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Go to BJ's or Sam's. They are +/- $20. BJ's had a sign up the other day that they also fill 'em for < $9 if you are a member. Check Home Depot for other grilling stuff. They actually carry a lot of grilling accessories.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
berkshire_rider said:
Go to BJ's or Sam's. They are +/- $20. BJ's had a sign up the other day that they also fill 'em for < $9 if you are a member. Check Home Depot for other grilling stuff. They actually carry a lot of grilling accessories.
Costco is selling empty tanks for $20. I pay $12 for a propane refill at my local hardware store.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thanks for the info. We don't have a BJ's or Sam's around here but there's a Costco by my dad's, so maybe I'll hold off until next time I visit him, and stop by the Costco at the same time.

Propane refills for me are $11.

Home Depot has some decent accessories, but a lot of them are Weber branded products which means they're pricy. I'm all for quality goods, but I'm not paying $60 for a grill cover that only goes over the top, when an $8 tarp covers the entire grill plus whatever else I need to store outside. Nor am I spending $15-20 for a freakin' wire brush - what, are they made by an endangered monkey species, somewhere deep in the Amazon rainforest? I'll wreck the wire bristles before the build quality of the handle is ever an issue.

I'm sure if I had paid $600+ for my grill, I might feel differently.

They do have some good stuff, though, if you move past the shelves of Weber products.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
<snip>I'm all for quality goods, but I'm not paying $60 for a grill cover that only goes over the top, when an $8 tarp covers the entire grill plus whatever else I need to store outside.
Dammit. I wish I could remember where I got my grill cover. It was about $25 somewhere on the internet. Good quality - it has lasted about 3 years now with just a bit of fading. The cover that came with my Charbroil disintergrated in less than a year.

-S.S.-

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I got my generic brand grill cover last Fall at Home Depot for like $25. It's made of real thick material. Time will tell how well it holds up.

BTW, congrats on the new grill, Binary! FREE is always good, too. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Dammit. I wish I could remember where I got my grill cover. It was about $25 somewhere on the internet. Good quality - it has lasted about 3 years now with just a bit of fading. The cover that came with my Charbroil disintergrated in less than a year.

-S.S.-
Does it have a brand name on it? Perhaps on a tag on the inside?

I Are Baboon said:
BTW, congrats on the new grill, Binary! FREE is always good, too.
Thanks! First nice grill that I've owned - the rest have been inexpensive Wal-Mart deals. I'm pretty psyched; this will see a lot of use this summer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
Does it have a brand name on it? Perhaps on a tag on the inside?
Well, duh. I'm sure it does. But I'm at work. And the chances of me remembering to check my grill cover when I get home are perilously close to nil. :p

Thanks! First nice grill that I've owned - the rest have been inexpensive Wal-Mart deals. I'm pretty psyched; this will see a lot of use this summer.
It's amazing - a "good" grill doesn't cost much more than those crappy ones, and lasts soooo much longer. :thumb: Savin' money in the long run. Now go get a nice NY strip and a bottle of Bordeaux.

-S.S.-

freightGOD

Monkey
Jan 26, 2002
Atlanta, GA
[, so when it runs out I'm usually in the middle of grilling something (last night it was turkey sausage which I had to finish under the broiler). Does anyone keep an extra propane tank at home, or do you just take your one to get refilled before it actually runs out? I figure for 30 measly bucks, I might just buy a spare tank.[/QUOTE]

No, and as a matter of fact, my tanketh ran dry as well last night in the middle of some fine slabs of beef. So your post is very timely and foresightful, as I too am thing of this very thing. :thumb:

I already own all the fittings needed so why not... :think:

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
yep. If you're gonna BBQ, you gotta use wood. Not charcoal. Real wood. Offset BBQ is the best for flavor but if you don't have time for that and you have to use gas, these are hard to beat: http://www.aquaquip.com/bbqs.html
I have 2 20lb tanks and one 30 lb tank. If run out of propane, I'm going to have to fire the grounds keeper.
I also have a patio heater for working on the bike outside while cooking dinner and that thing eats propane.

Seems like the skeeters are bad already here in WA...anyone use those 'mosquito deletos' with success or recommend anything else?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
It's amazing - a "good" grill doesn't cost much more than those crappy ones, and lasts soooo much longer. :thumb: Savin' money in the long run.
Well, err, I was buying charcoal grills for $19.95 on clearance. They last about a year, then need replacement. So this baby will need to last for quite a while to pay for itself in that regard! That's not really how I was measuring it, though - I hope this will make the cooking experience more enjoyable :)

Now go get a nice NY strip and a bottle of Bordeaux.
Class tonight, plus it's raining, but tomorrow it will have its inagural meat burning experience. Fish for the vegetarian girlfriend, and strip steak for me!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
Well, err, I was buying charcoal grills for $19.95 on clearance. They last about a year, then need replacement. So this baby will need to last for quite a while to pay for itself in that regard! That's not really how I was measuring it, though - I hope this will make the cooking experience more enjoyable :)
If you've been dealing with cheap charcoal grills, this will definitely make grilling more enjoyable.

Class tonight, plus it's raining, but tomorrow it will have its inagural meat burning experience. Fish for the vegetarian girlfriend, and strip steak for me!
Ummmm...... does she not realize fish is meat? :confused: Mmmm.... steak.... :drool:

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Ummmm...... does she not realize fish is meat? :confused:
Well, she's a vegetarian because she doesn't like the taste of meat (that is, chicken/beef/pork), not for any moral issues relating to animals. Hence, fish is acceptable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Ummm..... still not a vegetarian. :p

-S.S.-
:rolleyes:

It's easier to say "fish for my vegetarian girlfriend" than it is to say "fish for my girlfriend who does not indulge in beef, poultry or pork products".

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
:rolleyes:

It's easier to say "fish for my vegetarian girlfriend" than it is to say "fish for my girlfriend who does not indulge in beef, poultry or pork products".
It's even easier to say "fish for my girlfriend" :rolleyes:

Hey - the BBQ cover actually is a Charbroil. At least that's what the tag says.......... :think: I can't find it on the net anywhere, though. <shrug>

-S.S.-

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
narlus said:
bingo.......i used charcoal briquets........and it probably took at least 30 minutes before they were glowing and ready for cooking. what a pain in the arse, and the flavor wasn't any different imo.
You're kidding right? Even with briquets the flavour difference is pretty big...imo. Nothing beats real wood for real meat. But street meat (burgs, dogs, brats, italian sausage) is just fine with charcoal or gas. Charcoal imparts a certain flavour with dogs/brats though.....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wood?

You're kidding, right?

Who has time for this kind of stuff? Charcoal is bad enough. Something like that is feasible on a day long Saturday cookout, but it's a sad, sad grill that only gets used on Saturdays during the summer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
Wood?

You're kidding, right?

Who has time for this kind of stuff? Charcoal is bad enough. Something like that is feasible on a day long Saturday cookout, but it's a sad, sad grill that only gets used on Saturdays during the summer.
Not me. For example: got home last evening at 5:50pm. By 6:05 the grill was pre-heated and the asparagus & filets went on. We were eating a filet, asparagus, and green salad by 6:30. Oh, and a Windsor Cabarnet. :thumb:

-S.S.-

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I use the cheater approach to grilling with gas: Buy a bag of wood chips and throw a few in there. All the convenience of gas with some of the flavor of real wood grilling. Makes a big difference, try it and see. Not quite the same but pretty damn close.

It's funny how some of the purists are still using plain old kingsford charcoal briquettes. Personally I'd rather have no flavor (from propane) than the chemo, lighter fluid taste of that crap. A real purist uses wood charcoal and nothing else.

And a real purist doesn't call grilling "Barbeque."

I'm just saying.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
pnj said:
I have to laugh at those that say using gas to cook with isn't BBQing, yet you use fluid to start your coals.....haha.

bunch a freakin snobs, ya is. :D
I think I am through with lighter fluid. newspaper has been our accelerant of choice these days. I guess real purist use two sticks & rub them together or a flint & stone. :D

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
El Jefe said:
lighter fluid
Ruins the food. It leaves a nasty flavor I can't stand. Charcoal briquettes suck too, they add the worst chemical flavor. I much prefer propane and wood chips. Unless I feel like going to a lot of trouble and setting up the charcoal grill with real wood charcoal, which I do for grilled pizza, I go with propane and some good hickory chips.

I have a spare tank. All you have to do to make sure you don't run out is put your hand on the current tank while in use. You can feel where the level is by the temperature difference.