Quantcast

Grilling.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I prefer to cook on a charcoal grill. I have a Weber Smokey Joe. One of the big ones with 3 stages instead of 2. I bought it at BJ's for $40. I have had it for 10 years. I have a cheapo sears basket I cut the handle off and rigged a new closing hatch on. I use that for smoking fish and cooking corn. The aluminum tray that used to hold the charcoal shit the bed and I replaced it with a cast iron pan I cut the handle off of. Works like a champ. I have another Iron pan as a liquid catcher/holder on the first stage. I put wood chips in it also. I need a new one as wherever a bolt or fastener is attached its rotting out and the air leaks makes it hard for me to maintain temps in the cold. It is to fragile to take to the park also. Steak tips on the charcoal grill with veggies and taters tonight. I can't wait for summer. I miss corn and mators. What do you use as a grill?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have a gas grill and a traeger. Started off smoking with a $20 brinkman charcoal smoker and it was too much babysitting to keep a temp at all, but I am hooked on smoking from that thing!
However, I really enjoyed cooking with charcoal and miss it after switching to the traeger, so considering getting a little charcoal grill to replace our gas version.
I love modifying stuff for outdoor cooking and your cast Iron coal pan sounds sweet! I just did my first test cook tonight with a little hopper extension I fabbed up to solve my only complaint on this thing. Gonna weld it out and paint after tweaking a couple things.
IMG_4795.JPG

Here's to summer and outdoor cooking!
:cheers:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I bought a chimney. I can make a fire pretty quickly with lumps. Try some charcoal grilled asparagus sometime. Nothing compares to charcoal grilled veggies.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I want to learn how to use a egg. My friends sisters bakes Naan with hers. She is a Vegetarian also, she masterfully grills all sorts of veggie goodness for her family with it.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
This thread reminds me that I need to fix my grill now that it's getting warmer outside. This past fall suddenly one of the burners decided it doesn't want to regulate the amount of gas coming out which resulted in some very burned chicken.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I'm not a huge fan of that charcoal taste. I follow the Hank Hill saying "taste the meat not the heat" :rofl:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I know I'm probably in the minority here but I'm not a huge fan of that charcoal taste. I follow the Hank Hill saying "taste the meat not the heat" :rofl:
Big fan of charcoal here. Is it possible the food you tasted was cooked on a charcoal BBQ which was started using lighting fluid. That can leave a nasty taste.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I prefer a nice 18 karat grill

My friend is a undertaker in the ghetto. When a friend dies the mourners put sacks of weed in the casket. In what could only be best described as undertaker privilege he keeps the sacks. Cold hearted bastard them undertakers are. He rides a Yeti.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My friend is a undertaker in the ghetto. When a friend dies the mourners put sacks of weed in the casket. In what could only be best described as undertaker privilege he keeps the sacks. Cold hearted bastard them undertakers are. He rides a Yeti.
One of my good friends is an undertaker. He is a machine on a bike. He actually did a race up your way and met some of the Rochester Monkeys. You may have met him? Was a 24 hour race where someone keeled over with a heart attack.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
One of my good friends is an undertaker. He is a machine on a bike. He actually did a race up your way and met some of the Rochester Monkeys. You may have met him? Was a 24 hour race where someone keeled over with a heart attack.
Topher lives here in the Roc. He has locations in Yonkers and Philly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nah I do a lot of business with him. He's a good man. I am very corpse averse. He deserves his money. He even scoops them up and cleans up the mess. Quite the artist.
I handle all my own dirty work.Forgot that the Canadian Mafia were a bunch of delicate princesses.

Sep 11, 2015
We have a pretty shitty gas grill that doesn't get hot enough for steaks, but we have found a pretty good detour to Flavor Town by using the surprisingly hot side burner with a cast iron pan. Makes a nice salty crust. Mmmm .... Maillard Reaction ... :homer:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Back to lump charcoal. Messy, prone to moisture. But boy do Trout taste good cooked on a charcoal fire. Hot dogs and burgers too.