Quantcast

>>>Grindstone Montag GMT<<<

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Craftsman
buried under a metric shit ton of stuff on my brothers work bench in his garage is a craftsman lathe that my grandfather bought new god knows when that still works and that my grandfather kept everything that came with it along with a book on the basics of using said machine...

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No argument here. Like I said, the only reason mine is a snap-on is because it was 23 years old when I bought it and I got it super cheap. I honestly can't tell much of a difference between the 15K boxes some guys have and the Costco special boxes some of the other guys have. I could, maybe, justify the ///M box, or that swanky silver one, when my kid is out of college and I no longer have a mortgage, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Edit: Gads, I just realized I've had that tool box longer than I've had almost anything else in my life. Makes me feel bad for not painting it already. Maybe I'll get some new wheels too.
mmmmmm high quality casters :brows:

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
And again, it is a BOX FOR TOOLS. The tools themselves, sure. But $10k for a box to keep them in? :rofl:
Buffalo is an actual ///Mechanic, and has a fancy schmancy tool box. The cost of tools in the box is well into the $100k's after nearly 20 years of working for BMW. He's their target market I suppose. He recently went from the dealership to a private shop and we had to move said toolbox. It took like 7 techs and an alignment lift to get that onto and off of the trailer...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
There were days I was excited to drive home. Now, the excitement is hoping to get hit by a truck in a blind intersection. As Ron White said: hit something hard; I don't want to limp away from the wreck.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
$10k for a toolbox ? For that price it should include a fancy Euro sausage maker, stripper pole, and a BDSM midget stripper with a bag of blow.
FTFY

Rode this evening in wicked dark. 7 miles, near 100% humidity yet super dusty. I didn't see isht most of the time, Ryders prescription goggles with anti-fog cannot come soon enough.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Buffalo is an actual ///Mechanic, and has a fancy schmancy tool box. The cost of tools in the box is well into the $100k's after nearly 20 years of working for BMW. He's their target market I suppose. He recently went from the dealership to a private shop and we had to move said toolbox. It took like 7 techs and an alignment lift to get that onto and off of the trailer...
The airline buys "specialty" tools. Given that diagnostic and job specific stuff can cost well into the 100k's, it's out of the price range of most of us. There is a basic tool list that's a condition of employment, but most people exceed it. You can get by with the basic stuff but you'll wind up hating life pretty quick without doing some up grades. I probably bought the bulk of my tools in my first 5 years. Any more I don't pick up but one or two a year. For at least the last 10 years, I've probably spent more on bicycle and ///Motorcycle tools, than on tools for airplanes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The airline buys "specialty" tools. Given that diagnostic and job specific stuff can cost well into the 100k's, it's out of the price range of most of us. There is a basic tool list that's a condition of employment, but most people exceed it. You can get by with the basic stuff but you'll wind up hating life pretty quick without doing some up grades. I probably bought the bulk of my tools in my first 5 years. Any more I don't pick up but one or two a year. For at least the last 10 years, I've probably spent more on bicycle and ///Motorcycle tools, than on tools for airplanes.
I work with super expensive equipment. I don’t own or pay for any of it. I like it this way—sunk cost in one’s own tools just ties one down, IMO.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
More good news! They finally reviewed my application and I am set to sub in our school district! @TreeSaw I must share the joy of this news with you!! :happydance: So after interview today, I will reply and either go to orientation this week or, if things look super promising at the real estate gig, do that. But in any event, I'm going to be bringing home some income now! Woot!
Sweet! I am actually enjoying subbing and sub 4-5 days per week! Hope it went well.