Quantcast

Grocery on way to whistler?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm leaving for Whistler on Thursday, and this time we got a place with a kitchen/fridge.

Where is the best place to stop and get supplies on the way from the airport to whistler? I don't want to pay "resort" prices on everything. Is there a place on the way up that would be cheap? Maybe in Vancouver or Squamish?

I'm thinking deli meat, bread, BEER, chips, BEER, snacks, fruit, BEER...

I've been to whistler once before and I seem to remember someting in Squamish right off the highway.
:cheers:

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
There are a couple grocery stores off of the highway in Squamish, one on the left towards the end of town, and one on the right near the beginning. I usually drive around the city, but there will more than likely be many grocery stores between the airport and horseshoe bay.

Although, you will have to go to a liquor store for your beer. You cannot get beer in a Canadian grocery store.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
get all the beer/alcohol you want (and are able to 'import') at duty free at the border..you will pay about 1/2 - 1/3 the price. You are limmited to 1 case of beer per person or 1 bottle of booze....but it is well worth the 5 mins.

There is a groc store about 2/3 km north of the village (also a great cheep sushi joint) at 'nestors'. The prices there are generally better than the groc store in the village (still a bit high compared to US prices) bit OK if you pay attention.

Couple of groc stores in squamish...that entire corridor is growing dramatically!

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
There are a couple grocery stores off of the highway in Squamish, one on the left towards the end of town, and one on the right near the beginning. I usually drive around the city, but there will more than likely be many grocery stores between the airport and horseshoe bay.

Although, you will have to go to a liquor store for your beer. You cannot get beer in a Canadian grocery store.
And even then, it is mostly Canadian beer.:stosh:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
We don't have grocery stores in Vancouver. The whole city sustains itself by hunting moose and drinking moonshine.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
get all the beer/alcohol you want (and are able to 'import') at duty free at the border..you will pay about 1/2 - 1/3 the price. You are limmited to 1 case of beer per person or 1 bottle of booze....but it is well worth the 5 mins.

There is a groc store about 2/3 km north of the village (also a great cheep sushi joint) at 'nestors'. The prices there are generally better than the groc store in the village (still a bit high compared to US prices) bit OK if you pay attention.

Couple of groc stores in squamish...that entire corridor is growing dramatically!

I'll see if I can get our plane to make a pit stop at the border then. :brows:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Not to mention total ****e.
Rickards, Sleemans, Kokanee....all crap

I won't defame La fin du Monde or Maudite;)
But the rest is mediocre at best.
sad but true. i am (reluctantly) jealous of the beer selection south of the border. there are a couple local nano breweries that are showing promise though (but not readily available in stores). seems we've just discovered the hop up here, and 'big' beers of any variety are truly scarce (with the exception of our quebecois friends @ unibroue).

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
yeah, cause there are no duty free shops in the airport.
Just not worth it for a few cases of beer... Then i'd have to lug it along with my luggage and bike all the way to the car rental place.

If I was doing a bottle of hard liquer then it would be worth it.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
shoot a moose or an elk. I hear they're good eats.
Moose burgers
Moose Chili
Moose pot-pie
Moose stew
Moose on a stick
Moose L'Orange
Popcorn Moose
Moose Cakes
Moose Poutine
Glazed Moose donuts
Moose Dogs
Moose under glass
Moose Curry
Fired Moose
Green eggs and Moose
Moose-witch

And of course my favorite...Moose mouse
:brows:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Best place to stop in Squamish in Save-On Food for snacks and Nesters for deli-meat.You can find everything at both places although Save-On has a HUGE bulk section but I find the deli better at Nesters.Turn left off the highway(Mc Donalds) right when you enter the town.You'll be on Cleveland.Drive thru the first light and take the first right after it...you should see SaveOnFood.On your way back to the highway turn right after the first light you'll hit, you'll see a mall with an A&W, StarBuck ,Corsa bike shop and nesters next to it.

I wouldnt recommend Nesters in Whistler.It is slightly cheaper than other grocery stores up there but you'll still pay too much.

Now to get you excited, they've just opened last weekend a new long section on Freight Train and a new section on Blue Velvet as well.Chairlift up to the Garbo is close during the week...

But the Gondola brings you ever higher and theres a new trail up there as well, mostly a ski run but you can go STUPID fast on it, quite a thrill, specially if you can manage to stay off the brakes which isnt as easy as it may seems...

Enjoy your trip, the weather should be good too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Moose burgers
Moose Chili
Moose pot-pie
Moose stew
Moose on a stick
Moose L'Orange
Popcorn Moose
Moose Cakes
Moose Poutine
Glazed Moose donuts
Moose Dogs
Moose under glass
Moose Curry
Fired Moose
Green eggs and Moose
Moose-witch

And of course my favorite...Moose mouse
:brows:
you forgot:

Moose kabobs
General Tso's Moose
Sweet and Sour Moose
Sesame Moose
Moose Ribs (its like a scene from the Flinstones, they're all huge and stuff)
Moose Tacos
Moose Burrito
Moose-chilada
Spaghetti and Moose balls (that sounds wrong)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
thanks for starting this thread. I am flying into Vancouver on Thursday night and I have been too busy to research this exact topic.

doesn't it cost you guys a fourtune to fly into Van??? Every time I have looked a flights out of Van vs. Seattle, Seattle has been WAY cheaper...

Good to hear they re-opened Freight train. We were up two weeks ago (mem day wknd), and it was a mess up there with a good chunk closed and routed down the fire road(total waste).
Other more 'tech' tails were 'open' but it was a sloppy peanut- butter mess up there (with people stopped and clogging the trail before any steeps) on any of the slower trail on the upper mt. I guess it had absolutely pissed all day friday, and there was snow up top both sunday and monday morning.
I did ride some new trails though that I had not know about.....managers choice IIRC and renegade....I wish south of heaven still existed.

Last edited:

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
doesn't it cost you guys a fourtune to fly into Van??? Every time I have looked a flights out of Van vs. Seattle, Seattle has been WAY cheaper...

Good to hear they re-opened Freight train. We were up two weeks ago (mem day wknd), and it was a mess up there with a good chunk closed and routed down the fire road(total waste).
Other more 'tech' tails were 'open' but it was a sloppy peanut- butter mess up there (with people stopped and clogging the trail before any steeps) on any of the slower trail on the upper mt. I guess it had absolutely pissed all day friday, and there was snow up top both sunday and monday morning.
I did ride some new trails though that I had not know about.....managers choice IIRC and renegade....I wish south of heaven still existed.
Dave give me a call.Have you recieved my E-mail?

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I'm leaving for Whistler on Thursday, and this time we got a place with a kitchen/fridge.

Where is the best place to stop and get supplies on the way from the airport to whistler? I don't want to pay "resort" prices on everything. Is there a place on the way up that would be cheap? Maybe in Vancouver or Squamish?

I'm thinking deli meat, bread, BEER, chips, BEER, snacks, fruit, BEER...

I've been to whistler once before and I seem to remember someting in Squamish right off the highway.
I have a few questions for you.Why do you choose to fly into Vancover-vs-Seattle?Are you renting a vehicle or using another method of transpotation to get to Whistler?If renting have you looked into flying into Seattle and renting from there?Are you bringing your own bike or plan to rent?Would haveing a service in Seattle that you could send your bike to have it reassembled pick you up at the airport drive you to Whistler and back provide a resource for spare parts and tools and then ship your bike back to your home plus other services interest you?Long sentence I know but its been a long day.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Correct, it's not cheap to fly into Vancouver. A couple of the guys set it up that way so that's how I had to do it. I ended up using 27,500 frequent flyer miles instead of bucking up $750 for the flight.

It's $100 each way on NWA for the bike. Cheaper to bring your own if you are going to be there for 3 days or more than the $100/day to rent some clapped out bike.

We have 6 people (had 7 until 1 got busted up at Snowshoe last weekend). We rented a 15 passenger van for 4 days with unlimited mileage for about $540 CAN. About $80/person. It's cheaper than paying for a shuttle at about $80-100 each way. We could have done 2 minivans for a little less had we had 6 people to begin with. That said, the extra $10 a person for the big van will be better since we will not be cramped.

So where would be a good place to take a guy for his 40th birthday in Whistler? ;)

Anyway, 2 more days of work and I'll be there. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
It looks like it has been covered...grocery store in Squamish if you take a left at the intersection near McDonalds or Nester's just north of Whistler village. And change your drinking habits to liquer since it is the same price as the beer and much better quality!

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
manager isn't really a trail, its just a rock face...Renegade is a lot of fun but it sure took a severe beat up with Crankworx and all the rain we got.As for South of heaven, its still there, you just got to know where to look.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Yes it is cheaper to fly into seattle.

But on the flip side.

It takes an extra 4 hours round trip driving. I dont know how the boarders are there but that could factor in. Flights from seattle to the east coast at any resonable price are early in the am, so that means leave the night before or get up wicked early.

Extra gas, extra money from the car rental if your going across boarders ( or thats what they told me)

So all i think its not bad flying into van for an extra 150 bucks. And i love sitting the the customs line with a few hundred people from asia.

Dhracer, that service would be cool. All depends on price for sure.

oh yeah, fly out tomarrow, very excited

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
sad but true. i am (reluctantly)seems we've just discovered the hop up here, and 'big' beers of any variety are truly scarce (with the exception of our quebecois friends @ unibroue).
Unibroue's double/triple ferments are excellent, great stuff!!! I always keep several bottles aging in the basement. Thanks to everyone for the store info.

The only upside to being a Chicago DH'r is that the ORD to YVR tickets are reasonable. The weekend's forecast looks outstanding!! I can't wait…...

J

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
-BB- and I are flying into Vancouver becasue we used our frequent flier miles, the total cost for me was about $35 after airport security, tax, etc...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
manager isn't really a trail, its just a rock face...Renegade is a lot of fun but it sure took a severe beat up with Crankworx and all the rain we got.As for South of heaven, its still there, you just got to know where to look.
Not manager.... I think the wee little sign said managers choice....it was a spur trail off of renegade...but I could be wrong as there were several very small trails with no names or signage at all........same kind of stuff and AFAIK it ends up in the same place (dumps into dirt merchant).

I will have to look for what is left SoH I fiigured it would have been plowed for what is there now (maybe it is further up-hill) :biggrin: