Quantcast

Grubb before a big ride?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
This is non-race oriented, but all replies are considered groovey: What are you monkeys eating before big rides?

For years now I've tried to mix-up the food thing, but I still don't have a good routine...either the egg sandwich haunts me for the first half of the ride, or the shake is used up by the time my heart rate gets up! I've become addicted to Double Caffinee Tangerine goo for the mid ride re-fill, but I'm looking for the pre-ride fill up. I know to each is own, but I'm interested in what others have to say about it.

One thing that is great I've found for those "light" rides, is a Sammy Smith's Taddy Porter in the parking lot while you gear up!:p ;)

:monkey:

R

RideMonkey

Heres what I do:

I eat a huge greasy meal at least 2 hours before the ride. Sausage, potatoes, eggs, and cheese all scrambeld up, you can go all day on that bomb. You just gotta wait a min 2 hours before you ride.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by RideMonkey
Heres what I do:

I eat a huge greasy meal at least 2 hours before the ride. Sausage, potatoes, eggs, and cheese all scrambeld up, you can go all day on that bomb. You just gotta wait a min 2 hours before you ride.
Yeah, thats usually what I end up doing (hammer down an egg-fiasco waiting for Spincrazy to get off the train!:D ), but no matter how far out i eat, it always seems to come back at me...I hate burping up egg product on a gnarly climb:eek: !

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by VTinCT

Yeah, thats usually what I end up doing (hammer down an egg-fiasco waiting for Spincrazy to get off the train!:D ), but no matter how far out i eat, it always seems to come back at me...I hate burping up egg product on a gnarly climb:eek: !
I heard that?! Try not eating til you get to CT because you have to wake up so damn early to catch the train.

I eat mass carbs the night before I ride as well as putting down huge quantities of water. The morning of a ride I like granola or an egg sammy washed down with copious amounts of rocket fuel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I eat nothing, then I bonk. Ideally, I'd eat a spincrazy carbo-load meal the night before, but things just don't work out that way usually.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've been sticking to stuff like oatmeal, pancakes, and Powerbars. Lots of carbs. I tried having a protein shake a couple of times before a ride, and I DO NOT recommend that.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I've actually had some luck with a "power shake," before a ride. I use a whey protein powder, chocolate rice milk and a bannana or strawberries. tasty, effective, but short lived.

I used to carry a water bottle with Gatorade in it, but my bike now only has an under the down tube option, so thats a no go. On the hot hot days, I'll mix some Gatorade powder into my waterpack.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by VTinCT
VT's stupid moment: I thought Spincrazy wrote "mass crabs...", I was like WTF!!? You ain't gittin in my truck no mo!:eek: :D :D ;)
SORRY, I meant to say 'mass scabies'. My bad.

I too have had good luck with protein shakes before a ride. Eons ago, I'd make a shake from Ben & Jerry's Super Fudge Chunk, frozen strawberries and blackberries, protein powder, and a bananna, ride to work (6 miles road) and then ride for 60+.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by spincrazy

SORRY, I meant to say 'mass scabies'. My bad.

I too have had good luck with protein shakes before a ride. Eons ago, I'd make a shake from Ben & Jerry's Super Fudge Chunk, frozen strawberries and blackberries, protein powder, and a bananna, ride to work (6 miles road) and then ride for 60+.
Dude! Thats it!!!! Thats what we're doing before the next jaunt!