Quantcast

gt peace 9r?

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
this bike looks super clean and simple, i am looking at either this or a monocog, i do not mind v brakes. anybody got any experience riding one of these?

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
my shop just got one in. I didn't have a chance to ride it or even get a good look at it today, too busy working. It's lighter than I thought though. I'll weigh it and give some more details soon.
No disc brake tabs. Kinda weird. You know, what's the eccentric for?
frame certainly doesn't seem overly stiff. Must be some no-name tubing GT specs, seems to be fairly thin actually. Need to ride it though.

It's suspension corrected for an 80mm fork.

The WTB dual duty's are seriously burly. Easy way to lose weight there.

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
a hair over 28 lbs with flat pedals and a cage.

Does ride pretty firmly, actually. pretty stiff front triangle. the stays are long of course, but fairly oversized. I would not, however, call the way it actually rides 'stiff', unless comparing it to lighter-weight steel 29'ers. compared to many many hardtails, it's downright compliant.

Full disclosure: I'm a sucker for the triple triangle.

In combination with the overkill rims (WTB Dual-Duty) the bike just felt in general overbuilt. Which, to me, is a good thing. It already weighs 28 lbs. That's 9 less than my regluar mountain bike, after all. True weight weenies won't care for this bike, I'm sure, but that's not to say it couldn't lose lots of weight easy.

The wheels are an easy target. With an eccentric bb you don't need a bolt-on hub. (The stock hub already has a QR). but, lighter rims, a different build could yield pounds.

has a stupid peace decal on the seat tube.
oh and the sorta-white color sorta sucks ass.

very nice welds actually. I was worried, since gt's only other steel bikes nowadays are bmx. head tube is gusseted. needlessly i'm sure.

It's corrected for an 80mm fork supposedly. I presume you could run a 100 no problem though. it could certainly handle the leverage, and the bottom bracket isn't very high.

Not a 29er expert tho. Me? If anything, I'd upgrade to noodlier, lighter rigid. ala On-one. the stock fork is very nice, but definitely stiff. like a karate monkey kinda.

The exiwolfs are brilliant. I have 2.4 mutanoraptors on my 26" bike, and they compliment each other nicely.

Bad news is the stock brakes suck. The levers mainly, just flex like mad. Definitely worth an upgrade.

Good news is the cranks, bar and stem, (truvativ), are just fine. The post is worth adding a little vitamin Thomson perhaps but I'd leave the rest be.
Oh and the wtb grips are awesome. They seem to scream, beach cruiser!, but they're really comfy. I hope they do/will make them for aftermarket.

32x18 gearing is great. If you're old and feeble. I'd ditch the 18 for a 16 before you even take the thing home.

Some people might dismiss it as being just an entry-level 29er, but I think it'll be really popular. The lack of disc brake mounts, no derailer hanger, etc seem to make the bike unapproachable, but they're not really that confining. You could put a 3spd hub on it, after all. If you were barmy.
and remember if you put a different fork on it, you can also use discs.
OH and really, if you want to, welding disc tabs onto a steel bike isn't very hard. you can mig weld em if you want. probably freakin' braze em if you tried.

Did I mention it's five hundred bucks?

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
I'm 6 feet, with long arms. Our bike is a medium. I actually fit alright. The large must be pretty big.

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
update: the eccentric stopped working and needs to be replaced.

bugger all I hate these types. nothing particular about the gt, just your average eccentric, two bolts under the chainstays, big soft piece of aluminum to dig into. with a steel bike they really oughta look like this:

really it doesn't need an ecccentric anyway. Should have horizontals.
they wanted it to share equipment with the 26" version, which does have disc brakes and makes the ecc bb worthwhile.