Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
KHE Affix. Bushing BB system. really only for flatland, but i think there were a few other companies experimenting with a similar configuration for other bmx applications.

http://www.khebikes.com/2013/khe-affix-bush-bb-with-sidebearings-p-1221.html?osCsid=20930990116593d8165dfedc897363a5
look up 34R. theyre doing it for freestyle stuff.

i had a sadio plastic BB on my flat bike and absolutely hated it (so much moar friction), but it didnt weigh anything and kept the cranks in place.. so i guess i shouldnt have hated it..?

edit:
i have never seen that macneil one though, and im glad i havent (until now). id sure hope its a joke!

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Looking good, though when i hear that name all i can think of is

Travel: 150mm (5.9-inches)
Wheel Size: 26 or 27.5-inch
Chainstay: 16.8-inches (26-inch wheels), 17.3-inches (27.5-inch wheels)
Head Angle: 66.5-degrees
BB Height: 13.2-inches
Seat Tube Angle: 73.3-degrees
Shock: 200 x 57mm
Seatpost: 30.9mm
Seatpost Clamp: 34.9mm
Axle: 142x12mm
BB: 73mm Threaded
Weight: 7-pounds (size Medium, with hardware but without shock)

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Sneak-Peek-Guerrilla-Gravity-Megatrail-Made-in-Colorado,227

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
yeah numbers look great, i like the 150mm travel makes it seem like a more viable do-all bike for those of us that ride pretty tame XC trails as well as more aggressive stuff...
It looks really similar to Knolly Warden I've ridden during the weekend. Had only 1 ride on it, without a helmet so it was pretty tame but that frame felt sweet and had very similar angles. Hopefully GG will not cost an arm and a leg?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It looks really similar to Knolly Warden I've ridden during the weekend. Had only 1 ride on it, without a helmet so it was pretty tame but that frame felt sweet and had very similar angles. Hopefully GG will not cost an arm and a leg?
per the link, $1900USD no shock, several options for completes at/around $3500USD

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Thanks guys.

To answer some questions, we're doing more travelling this year with more demo bikes. Hopefully we can make a company trip out East, as we've been wanting to get out there.

Obviously I'm not an unbiased third party tester, but this is what we designed it for, to help answer some of the ride characteristics questions:
First, there's still a fundamental suspension secret that Vital is going to test next week, so you'll hear about it then, and from their impressions riding it.
The design goal was efficient pedaling with an aggressive, lively feel in a roomy cockpit. And, we designed the sizing/geo to run 35mm or 50mm stem lengths without feeling cramped or inhibiting climbing, along with 1/4" of offset at the seat post.
Suspension wise, the pivot point is placed for high anti-squat/efficient pedaling, but not so much that you feel excessive pedal feedback, nor put energy into extending the suspension with every pedal stroke. Additional goals were square edge performance for a bike that is designed to handle quite a lot with 150mm of travel, and of course, balancing braking and chain growth.
Leverage rate curve is what I like to describe as same but different, compared to the GG/DH. Both are progressive. But, the Megatrail is optimized for air springs, and hence, has less progression in the frame itself, and the different part is the concavity of the rate curve to produce a supportive mid stroke. Combining shock and frame, the feel is a smooth progression from top out to bottom out, with good support in the mid stroke, and no harsh top stroke. Combing the anti squat with the leverage curve and geometry (this is also where a roomy cockpit helps), I think it does awesome on climbs, especially when they get technical.

TL;DR:
Designed for: Efficient climbing, aggressive geo with short stem/wide bar and roomy cockpit, smooth progression at the rear wheel with supportive mid stroke. Lively ride. 27.5" is 2 clicks of wheel size moar than 26". Both wheel sizes rip.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what size fork is it designed around?

i really like this because:

-fits the bill of what I'm looking for in a new trail bike
-could transfer over nearly all my current parts, would just need new headset and rear hub adapter for a hadley
-US made

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
what size fork is it designed around?

i really like this because:

-fits the bill of what I'm looking for in a new trail bike
-could transfer over nearly all my current parts, would just need new headset and rear hub adapter for a hadley
-US made
It's designed for 160mm travel forks

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
And, we designed the sizing/geo to run 35mm or 50mm stem lengths without feeling cramped or inhibiting climbing, along with 1/4" of offset at the seat post.
Whole design looks well thought out and executed, and I especially love this little piece ^^

Seems like Kona has also taken this approach, and as someone who likes to run shorter stems, I have stoke about the geo. I run a 50 mm stem on my trailduro bike, and have pushed the saddle back to the max limit listed on the rails to get close to the reach and cockpit roominess I prefer - but it's still not ideal.

Very well could be my next sled when I eventually take the 650 plunge.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's designed for 160mm travel forks
cool. now what's the secret? :brows:

based on our prior discussions, it seems (on paper) at least, that this is designed as an all around trail monster of a bike for people who are more comfortable on a DH bike than an xc hardtail. it seems (to me at least) like you pulled off something a little more all around than you had previously indicated, which i really like.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
cool. now what's the secret? :brows:

based on our prior discussions, it seems (on paper) at least, that this is designed as an all around trail monster of a bike for people who are more comfortable on a DH bike than an xc hardtail. it seems (to me at least) like you pulled off something a little more all around than you had previously indicated, which i really like.
You're definitely on the correct path :) Dave Trumpore is riding it next week, and he's quite the shredder himself, so you'll get to hear what he thinks, with the full explanation.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Alright, here's the secret: every time you start descending, there's a small speaker in the frame that cranks out 99 Ways To Die. It's proven to make you descend 11% faster.

There's a few hanging around right now, and will be in two weeks also.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Alright, here's the secret: every time you start descending, there's a small speaker in the frame that cranks out 99 Ways To Die. It's proven to make you descend 11% faster.

There's a few hanging around right now, and will be in two weeks also.
i was hoping for jane's addiction "mountain song"

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
FWIW, I saw these two prototypes a week or so ago. They are fairly fvcking cool right off the bat. One thing of which I took note was how "far along" the frame look as alpha prototypes versus GG's alpha proto DH frame appeared (compared to the current production frames)

I'd expect the very first offering from a new builder to be a little rough, which they kinda were, but the GG.DH are now nicely finished and clearly well built. I expect we'll the same for the :rockout: MEGATRAIL as they get ridden, tweaked, washed, rinsed, etc.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
does ETT really matter anymore? reach n stack be the keys.

but 25" does seem redic......
It matters for a bike I'll be doing a lot of seated pedaling on. 25" would indicate that the reach is incredibly long or that the seat tube is incredibly slack. The posted seat tube angle is 73 degrees, which would mean that the reach is incredibly long.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It matters for a bike I'll be doing a lot of seated pedaling on. 25" would indicate that the reach is incredibly long or that the seat tube is incredibly slack. The posted seat tube angle is 73 degrees, which would mean that the reach is incredibly long.
did you see the part where it's designed around a 50mm stem max?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
All my bikes use a 50mm max stem. A normal medium AM frame has around a 23" top tube. A nicely stretched out one should run 23.5". We're talking an inch and a half longer then that.
How tall are you?

Everybody that's ridden the MT's so far has agreed with the sizing, despite any hesitations based on spec sheets. A guy that came in and ordered one yesterday was about 5'10" and could have gone with either the Small or Medium. He tried both. Went with the Medium.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How tall are you?

Everybody that's ridden the MT's so far has agreed with the sizing, despite any hesitations based on spec sheets. A guy that came in and ordered one yesterday was about 5'10" and could have gone with either the Small or Medium. He tried both. Went with the Medium.
you're already taking orders?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
are normal AM frames designed around 50mm stems?
spitfire specs, which I feel are pretty long. I would say the spitty shines at 50mm stem.

s -ETT - 570mm (22.4") , reach 407mm
m-590mm (23.2") ,427mm
l-615mm (24.2") , 452
xl-640mm (25.2") , 477

but this is why there are no standard geo specs, so each manufacture can design bikes how they want to and let the customer decide what works for them

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Here's the suspension secret: Gravity Mode. For when you're looking to turn the Rad Knob up to 11.

It's the other shock mount hole, which switches from Trail Mode to Gravity Mode.

Trail Mode
150mm travel
13.2-inch BB height
66.5-degree head angle
Leverage curve tuned with more mid-stroke support for climbing efficiency, yet still without a harsh top stroke or blowing through the travel.

Gravity Mode
160mm travel
12.7-inch BB height
65.5-degree head angle
Leverage curve tuned for more bump compliance and grip to feel like a shorter travel GG/DH.

And, Vital's ride review, here.

One of Dave Trumpore's photos, showing the switch from Trail Mode to Gravity Mode.

TL;DR:
Dave Trumpore said this: "On the trail, Gravity Mode can be summarized with two words... SIMPLY AMAZING.

To be honest this is the bike I have been waiting for someone to make for years. After riding and racing DH for 10+ years I have always wished my trail bikes mimicked the low, stable, slack and fast feeling of a DH racer. While many bikes come close, very few hit the mark. However the Megatrail, with the simple turn of one bolt, becomes that bike. You don't need to make any pressure or adjustment changes to the shock when switching between settings. The sag as a percentage of travel stays the same. With a bottom bracket height that is the same as a DH bike at sag, a long top tube and a 65.5-degree head angle, the bike just begged to be ridden harder and faster."

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's awesome! I love that he gave it 4/5 stars then said it was exactly what he's been looking for after such a long time. Does the front and rear hole have to change, or just one or the other?

You should develop an 8mm QR lever for better endurometry. Slow climb to the top, flip the pin, schrawlp back down, pin again.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, but the 4 stars is still considered "Excellent" in their words. I'll take that :)

To switch to Gravity Mode, you only switch the back bolt. The second front bolt is for if you want even more progression in the leverage curve in Gravity. We originally put it in there to try during prototyping, but haven't needed it yet. It may be phased out, but doesn't hurt anything to have it in there.

I thought about doing some sort of QR lever, but ultimately, it only takes a 6mm hex key and less than 30 seconds to move the one bolt. And, the bolt system is really robust, off the shelf, easily replaceable etc, which is why I didn't pursue a QR.