Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are you talking about trying to set up a Megatrail with a 50mm chainline, or are you asking a hypothetical frame design question?
I'm trying to figure out a way to un-over-engineer the current industry standard. if you can't backpedal in your three lowest gears, then moving the cassette to the driveside makes some sense. I would argue that most people spend significantly more time in their lowest gears as compared to their highest (largest cogs compared to the smallest).

Just trying to figure out what the point of the offset boost stuff was. Sounds like it's all tire clearance. If one could run the chain in the normal, 50mm spot, then you'd get the cassette where it needs to be for the above solution.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm trying to figure out a way to un-over-engineer the current industry standard. if you can't backpedal in your three lowest gears, then moving the cassette to the driveside makes some sense. I would argue that most people spend significantly more time in their lowest gears as compared to their highest (largest cogs compared to the smallest).

Just trying to figure out what the point of the offset boost stuff was. Sounds like it's all tire clearance. If one could run the chain in the normal, 50mm spot, then you'd get the cassette where it needs to be for the above solution.
STUPENDOUS STANDARDS
SYNCHRONIZED STUPIDITY
SHITTY SALES

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

Primary: Tire clearance with short chainstays
Secondary: Nearly identical rear spoke tensions

If you can't backpedal in the three lowest gears, chainline is not the issue, something else is wrong. If you sometimes have the chain drop down from the largest cog, moving the chainline a couple mm has always helped, ime. Our experience has also shown that if you run the system as designed, that problem is virtually non-existent. Most of the issues we have seen are from running a chainline wider than what the drivetrain was designed for.

Our system is designed to follow the drivetrain manufacturer's guidelines. And, if we don't follow their guidelines, it can adversely affect warranty coverage of drivetrain components. So, by following our system, you get something that works well (see above), and if you have issues and call the drivetrain companies looking for support, they don't have the excuse of "you're doing it wrong".

Our favorite setup at the moment is the e13 TRSr 9-46 cassette, paired with the shifter and derailleur of your preference. The range is more than Eagle, but with a physically smaller cassette, any 11 speed shifting system (price and preference flexibility), and with the 3 largest cog sizes, you end up spending more time in the 39t (2nd largest cog) vs the 42t largest cog of a 10-42 cassette.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

On a true trail bike doing lots of climbing this is true , but I still hit sections and hills where I never use my top 3 cogs and spend more time in the middle and bottom of the cassette . Another tool that has helped me with trail gearing on the climb is using a oval sprocket , Once I figured out what gearing range works the best I stopped using the top 2 cogs on the cassette for all but the steepest and longest climbs ,.

have you guys tried the Eagle 12spd yet on the Trail Pistol or the Mega Trails ??

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Bike Mag's bible review of the Trail Pistol was a little confusing, but certainly less than sterling...did you have an opportunity to chat with them about their criticisms? For example, they point out that the bike has long, slack and low geo, but then proceeded to say that the ride quality was that of the old crop of 29ers...which by all accounts were short, steep and tall. I've lost a lot of faith in the quality of their reviews , but was still pretty surprised to hear the negativity, what gives?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Bike Mag's bible review of the Trail Pistol was a little confusing, but certainly less than sterling...did you have an opportunity to chat with them about their criticisms? For example, they point out that the bike has long, slack and low geo, but then proceeded to say that the ride quality was that of the old crop of 29ers...which by all accounts were short, steep and tall. I've lost a lot of faith in the quality of their reviews , but was still pretty surprised to hear the negativity, what gives?
It also seemed odd to us. They set the bike up in the stiffest possible configuration that we recommend, which is listed in the owner's manual as for those that prefer a firm top stroke (120mm rear travel, Crush Mode, 25% sag, 2 air volume spacers) and then said it wasn't soft enough. We talked to them today and expressed that, and their reply was that they didn't have enough time to try to find an ideal setup.

Running more sag, 130mm rear travel, removing air volume spacers, and switching to Plush Mode would all have made for the softer ride they wanted.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Also sounded to me like the two short guys neeeded to size down or stfu. Why do they have such a spread of heights testing the same exact same sized bike?
And why would they test so many bikes that they can't play with suspension setup?
Boooo @BikeMag

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It also seemed odd to us. They set the bike up in the stiffest possible configuration that we recommend, which is listed in the owner's manual as for those that prefer a firm top stroke (120mm rear travel, Crush Mode, 25% sag, 2 air volume spacers) and then said it wasn't soft enough. We talked to them today and expressed that, and their reply was that they didn't have enough time to try to find an ideal setup.

Running more sag, 130mm rear travel, removing air volume spacers, and switching to Plush Mode would all have made for the softer ride they wanted.
Wait, you guys don't supply an F1-style pit crew to dial in bike setup on the trail anymore? That's obviously the problem.

:D

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Their reviews have become all too predictable...Yeti, Evil and Trek can do no wrong it seems, but they like to sprinkle in a weirdly negative review every now and then. Oh Vernon, how Bike misses you.

I'm becoming increasingly stoked on the MT SS...like, want is becoming need. Do you guys have plans to send MTs out to review with anyone?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Their reviews have become all too predictable...Yeti, Evil and Trek can do no wrong it seems, but they like to sprinkle in a weirdly negative review every now and then. Oh Vernon, how Bike misses you.

I'm becoming increasingly stoked on the MT SS...like, want is becoming need. Do you guys have plans to send MTs out to review with anyone?
Yep, we have a couple reviews planned for the new Megatrail/SS. It'll probably be Spring time when they begin to drop.