Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So did the Vital testers actually set up ther Pistola correctly? Or do we have to wait for the actual article to find out? Hoping you guys shine bright!
I have a feeling they took the time to set the bike up, but we have not seen the review.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The evil review seemed even handed and thorough, so I'd say that's a good sign.
Looking forward to the rest of the reviews in Vital's bike test!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
In the mean time, our welder added a third axis of rotation to the main weld fixture. It's pretty badass to watch a frame orbit around in space as it is being welded, all in the fixture.
20170223_153132.jpg

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
should get him a good auto tinting helmet as well , I just bought a new one and hung up my passive lens helmet , also got a pair of auto tinting goggles , man they will be handy working on cars doing cages .

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It is auto darkening. The lid itself is the lightest one he's found over 30 years of welding, with the best auto darkening lens he's found over the same period.
I don't weld frames, but have enough TIG experience to be dangerous, and I've always preferred cheap fixed lenses. But, apparently the lens our welder uses doesn't flash on and off mid weld, which is what I hated when I've tried them in the past.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
It is auto darkening. The lid itself is the lightest one he's found over 30 years of welding, with the best auto darkening lens he's found over the same period.
I don't weld frames, but have enough TIG experience to be dangerous, and I've always preferred cheap fixed lenses. But, apparently the lens our welder uses doesn't flash on and off mid weld, which is what I hated when I've tried them in the past.
Yeah been blinded lots myself with the auto tint when crawling around in a car doing a cage , you block a sensor and hit the pedal and bam your bug eyed LOL .And I hear you on the light helmet , makes a big difference at the end of the day .

https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/goggles/weld-mask-auto-darkening-goggles-m30023

I bought a pair of these that are just the goggles , they are nice

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
The only thing I would worry about is welding with no sleeves. #skincancer

I machine and weld for a living and I've seen my fare share of older welders with chunks cut out of them. I can't say I wear my sleeves everyday but I get my ass chewed by my wife, who is a nurse, when I come home with a sunburn on my arms from welding with no sleeves.

Climbs off his soap box....

That's a really sweet set up. I'll expect his welds to be even moar better now!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The only thing I would worry about is welding with no sleeves. #skincancer

I machine and weld for a living and I've seen my fare share of older welders with chunks cut out of them. I can't say I wear my sleeves everyday but I get my ass chewed by my wife, who is a nurse, when I come home with a sunburn on my arms from welding with no sleeves.

Climbs off his soap box....

That's a really sweet set up. I'll expect his welds to be even moar better now!
He uses sunscreen. Seriously.

And, yeah, the welds were already awesome, but now they are even a little nicer yet.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Nice bike! I wish the frame wasn't boost and metric. :cray:
I hear ya, but I suspect we'll soon be at a point where banging on boost will be about like me complaining about not having 26" options. Remember, the Lizdustry is all-powerful.

However, @lobsterCT made a neat little work around the boost issue on his wife's GG/DH -
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/guerrilla-gravity-badass-frame-manufacturer-in-colorado.251038/page-45

Not sure about chain line issues with a 73 mm bb shell versus the 83 mm on the GG/DH, but a pretty neat solution imo.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Kits to fit a 142 wheel into the new Megatrail are a pretty easy solution, either off the shelf or home made, as @jackalope pointed out. As far as the metric shocks, the modularity is an advantage, and we virtually had nobody buying frames without shocks. Let us know if the shock options are the only thing holding you up, we may be able to figure out something.

@roflbox your build is sweet. We were all pretty stoked on how solid of a bike it is, and the price is far from dentist level.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Kits to fit a 142 wheel into the new Megatrail are a pretty easy solution, either off the shelf or home made, as @jackalope pointed out.
Am I right in thinking that, with a Boost hub, the axle is offset 3mm to the drive side (meaning that the wheel needs to be dished 3mm to the NDS to compensate)? Therefore if you put a 142mm wheel in with normal dish and a 6mm axle spacer on the NDS and used a boost crank, you'd have the chainline the bike was designed for and could use a 142mm wheel with a normal dish? You'd then have to space the brake in to get the caliper and rotor to line up, but that's fine.

As far as the metric shocks, the modularity is an advantage, and we virtually had nobody buying frames without shocks. Let us know if the shock options are the only thing holding you up, we may be able to figure out something
Hmmm....

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@mtg will other coil options appear as a dropdown on the site at some point, or will it always just be call to find out?
The ElevenSix should already be a drop down option on the full strength Megatrail. Other options will be turned on very shortly! We're just waiting for more options to become publicly available. The wait has been painful.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Am I right in thinking that, with a Boost hub, the axle is offset 3mm to the drive side (meaning that the wheel needs to be dished 3mm to the NDS to compensate)? Therefore if you put a 142mm wheel in with normal dish and a 6mm axle spacer on the NDS and used a boost crank, you'd have the chainline the bike was designed for and could use a 142mm wheel with a normal dish? You'd then have to space the brake in to get the caliper and rotor to line up, but that's fine.

Hmmm....
Yes, except on the 142 hub dishing. We might be saying the same thing in different ways, but the rim on the 142 hub would need to be dished over towards the NDS. Maybe that's what you meant by "normal dish", as in center the rim between the hub flanges.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've wondered that before- would putting a spaced-over 142mm hub into a boost frame reduce or eliminate dish on the wheel? that seems...wise...?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes, except on the 142 hub dishing. We might be saying the same thing in different ways, but the rim on the 142 hub would need to be dished over towards the NDS. Maybe that's what you meant by "normal dish", as in center the rim between the hub flanges.
No, I meant a wheel dished to fit a normal frame, but I think I get it now. Thanks.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Kits to fit a 142 wheel into the new Megatrail are a pretty easy solution, either off the shelf or home made, as @jackalope pointed out. As far as the metric shocks, the modularity is an advantage, and we virtually had nobody buying frames without shocks. Let us know if the shock options are the only thing holding you up, we may be able to figure out something.
Thanks, man! I think I'll quench the new bike lust this season but I am genuinely concerned about my investment in 142 hub wheels; and I am not thrilled about the current selection of the metric shocks, either. The IS mounts on your frames give me hope I'll be able prolong the life of my components beyond my current bike.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wait, thinking this through more.

-Normal 142mm rear wheel has the rim centered between the ends of the axle, so 71mm from one end of the axle
-Normal Boost rear wheel has the rim centered between the ends of the axle, so 74mm from one end of the axle
-GG Boost rear wheel is dished 3mm to the NDS, so the rim centerline is 71mm from the NDS and 77mm from the DS axle faces

Therefore the options for using a 142mm wheel in a GG Boost frame are to:
a) put 6mm of spacers on the NDS of the axle, then dish the wheel 6mm to the NDS
b) put 3mm of spacers on each side of the axle, then dish the wheel 3mm to the NDS

Option a) produces a better chainline. Do I have it right now?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
why not an optional link with another shock mount position for imperial sized shocks ?
Unlikely. The way the linkage is laid out on this, the best bet for using an imperial shock without changing the geo/kinematics much would be a different front shock mount, which is welded onto the front triangle.