Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
MFJoeDodds? LMFAO!

Let me know if it's a 150+ 29/27.5 interchangeable machine. Cuz I'm about to blow a lot of money on one of those w/ another company located within our state...

PS. How was the Trail Pistol at Keystone day I saw on the Strava machine? <snip> Anyways, I still heart Keith Stone. Rode Vail this weekend. Holy cow how I love teh Vail.
Keystone has been Pistol whipped. The coil sprung Pistol has been fucking awesome; I've done xc rides with 6k - 8k of climbing, and take the same setup to Keystone. Quantity of wheel size with some quality of suspension travel is pretty versatile.

And, Keystone is still awesome. The classics are still....classic. And, Paid in Full just got a new section that's awesome. It reminds me a bit of Silky Johnson, where you can get close to horizontal in the corners.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Well that is okay Slayer hasn't had a good album since the mid 90's anyhow. Misfits/Clash/Rancid/Maiden/Sabbath there are a bunch of sick bands at least in the early years or heyday.
Some folks would present the same argument for Megadeth. Even if you hated everything Slayer made after Seasons in the Abyss, there's still more good material than most bands have produced.

That list you made....one of those band names is on the list for future possible bike name inspiration already :)
Pat yourself on the back for correctly guessing the name inspiration.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just to comment directly rather than to idiot pinkbikers:
Thank you for not making 30 different chainstay lengths for each size of your frames. I understand why norco does what they do, but I hate that if I want a large frame, I'm stuck with a longer chainstay length. Chainstay length is part of handling first and fit second, and if you want a bike with longer stays, that should be easy to find. Forcing tall people to ride barcaloungers is fine for the ebike guy on pinkbike, but I need something more nimble.

Good work with another handsome frame. susprised you didn't produce a 160mm option though. What was the rationale going 140 when you already have a 120?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
What did you ride up there? Looking to perhaps hit some "new-to-me" Eagle County schtuff.
Mostly the "park". Altho we did a lap over to Cougar Ridge and down to Minturn in lieu of 2 Elk. It was cool, but 2 Elk is better. Lots of downed trees FYI.

I've ridden some of the new Eagle County stuff too. But while the lifts are spinnin, I generally don't ride them. But they are good. Lee's Way Down, Pool and Ice Rink. All good stuff.

The trail crew at Vail re-did Magic Forest. Now a Magic Forest/Old 9/Main Lane route is probably the best DH "track" in the state. IMO. Bring yer balls.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mostly the "park". Altho we did a lap over to Cougar Ridge and down to Minturn in lieu of 2 Elk. It was cool, but 2 Elk is better. Lots of downed trees FYI.
This seems to be the theme on ALL trails that are even slightly "off-the-radar" this year. I really should ride Two Elks some time to its conclusion in Minturn. Have always climbed up the China Bowl service road to hit Cougar or Matterhorn...
The trail crew at Vail re-did Magic Forest. Now a Magic Forest/Old 9/Main Lane route is probably the best DH "track" in the state. IMO. Bring yer balls.
Heh. I've *looked* down Old 9 off the service road before... :fie::fie::fie:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Thank you for not making 30 different chainstay lengths for each size of your frames. I understand why norco does what they do, but I hate that if I want a large frame, I'm stuck with a longer chainstay length. Chainstay length is part of handling first and fit second, and if you want a bike with longer stays, that should be easy to find. Forcing tall people to ride barcaloungers is fine for the ebike guy on pinkbike, but I need something more nimble.

Good work with another handsome frame. susprised you didn't produce a 160mm option though. What was the rationale going 140 when you already have a 120?
There is a big section of "why 140mm travel" in the press release sent to the media outlets. Here's the summary:
Because longer travel than 140mm on a 29er requires unfavorable geometry compromises of long chainstays, excessively tall BB heights, and/or the bent nail seat tube angles.
So we set travel to 140mm, and then worked on the kinematics to give it the traction and feel of something that mows down rocks.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
There is a big section of "why 140mm travel" in the press release sent to the media outlets. Here's the summary:
Because longer travel than 140mm on a 29er requires unfavorable geometry compromises of long chainstays, excessively tall BB heights, and/or the bent nail seat tube angles.
So we set travel to 140mm, and then worked on the kinematics to give it the traction and feel of something that mows down rocks.
Does this mean no 29r GG/DH? Whatever will the thousands of people unable to run shit over with 8 inches of travel and small wheels do?? Think of the children, Matt.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So this news release had me revisit your website. I'm looking for a trail bike. As I see it, from GG, I'm either looking at this or the Shred Dogg. I think your Ride 1 Build Kits offer exceptional value. Really amazing. So here's some questions for you.

I'm skeptical of 29rs mostly because of the weight of the wheels and durability. My main problems with tires are pinch flatting them when riding through rough terrain (rock gardens). I have settled on 26"x2.3 DD tires on my current ride (2013 Mojo HD). DD casings seem to provide the right "ride feel" in corners, and protection from pinch flats. Going to 29x2.3 in DD casing would add about 150-200g in rotational weight between the rim and the tire right? Seems like a lot. You've ridden both, what's the main difference between them? I ride on the east coast. there's lots of everything: roots, rocks, mud, short climbs, short descents. Our trails aren't really purpose built biking trails so there's lots of janky momentum robbing corners. Another issue I think I might have with 29rs in wheel stiffness. I'm heavy. I weigh 220lbs, and I ride relatively aggressively. I'm worried I'll be putting lots of stress on them leading to frequent loosening etc. I don't really ever want to own plastic rims, I've broken too many rims to ever want to consider paying upwards of $500 just to replace a rim. All this to say, I'm willing to throw down some coin to try a 29r to see for myself what all the fuss is about and whether the tradeoffs are worth it for me. But I'm still trying to get a better sense of the weight and durability tradeoffs.

Speaking of rims: when I google DT Swiss M1700, it points to the XM481 rim. Is that the one you're using?

This one is just a general question really... I'm no engineer, but I've read enough marketing copy to think I know a little about stuff :rolleyes: but why do you mount the shock to the down tube? Wouldn't it make more sense to mount it to the DT/ST junction, and make some space for a water bottle? Isn't the middle of the DT one of the weakest spots on that tube? Is it to control leverage rate and reduce bushing movement at the eyelet?

And finally, do you ship to UPS stores? I'd be willing to drive to the border, unbox and build, maybe even go for a ride, and then drive home...

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO

I've ridden some of the new Eagle County stuff too. But while the lifts are spinnin, I generally don't ride them. But they are good. Lee's Way Down, Pool and Ice Rink. All good stuff.

I was trying to explain Old 9 to somebody. All I could come up with was, "steep, unsustainable, fun, probably not there anymore..."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
like that the GG guys are taking a slow and steady approach to releasing new models (as opposed to rushing things to market just to have a bigger offering). seems like you guys might have an idea of what you're doing :D

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I was under the impression that Norco just changed the pivot location on the front triangles. No stocking shops around to verify first hand.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What's the difference between the Smash and the long shocked Trail Pistol?
The Smash is designed as the "29er Megatrail", and has leverage curves designed for such, with traction and small bump compliance expected from a longer travel bike. The travel (140) is also longer than the long stroked Pistol (130), as well as Plush/Crush are tuned for two different leverage curves on The Smash purely for ride tuning, whereas on the Trail Pistol, it's also used as a 29/27+ change.
But, of course there is some overlap between The Smash and the long stroked Trail Pistol, and as such, the long shocked Trail Pistol configuration has now been discontinued. Note, if you have one of those, it still rips and there's no need to yell at the clouds. Moving forward, it gives a wider selection for riders.

If somebody was really set on a 130mm travel Trail Pistol, but doesn't like the idea of 140mm travel, you can still order a Trail Pistol and go aftermarket on the shock (210x55), or set up The Smash with a little less sag in Crush Mode.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So this news release had me revisit your website. I'm looking for a trail bike. As I see it, from GG, I'm either looking at this or the Shred Dogg. I think your Ride 1 Build Kits offer exceptional value. Really amazing. So here's some questions for you.

I'm skeptical of 29rs mostly because of the weight of the wheels and durability. My main problems with tires are pinch flatting them when riding through rough terrain (rock gardens). I have settled on 26"x2.3 DD tires on my current ride (2013 Mojo HD). DD casings seem to provide the right "ride feel" in corners, and protection from pinch flats. Going to 29x2.3 in DD casing would add about 150-200g in rotational weight between the rim and the tire right? Seems like a lot. You've ridden both, what's the main difference between them? I ride on the east coast. there's lots of everything: roots, rocks, mud, short climbs, short descents. Our trails aren't really purpose built biking trails so there's lots of janky momentum robbing corners. Another issue I think I might have with 29rs in wheel stiffness. I'm heavy. I weigh 220lbs, and I ride relatively aggressively. I'm worried I'll be putting lots of stress on them leading to frequent loosening etc. I don't really ever want to own plastic rims, I've broken too many rims to ever want to consider paying upwards of $500 just to replace a rim. All this to say, I'm willing to throw down some coin to try a 29r to see for myself what all the fuss is about and whether the tradeoffs are worth it for me. But I'm still trying to get a better sense of the weight and durability tradeoffs.

Speaking of rims: when I google DT Swiss M1700, it points to the XM481 rim. Is that the one you're using?

This one is just a general question really... I'm no engineer, but I've read enough marketing copy to think I know a little about stuff :rolleyes: but why do you mount the shock to the down tube? Wouldn't it make more sense to mount it to the DT/ST junction, and make some space for a water bottle? Isn't the middle of the DT one of the weakest spots on that tube? Is it to control leverage rate and reduce bushing movement at the eyelet?

And finally, do you ship to UPS stores? I'd be willing to drive to the border, unbox and build, maybe even go for a ride, and then drive home...
Wheel durability: There's no denying that 29er wheels/tires get heavier for a given strength. I've had many pinch flats and rim dents on all wheel sizes :) Recently, I've been running a 29x2.3 DD rear tire, and added Huck Norris after a rim smash. CushCore is next on the list of things to try, but any of the foam tire inserts help with pinch flatting, and with what I've ridden so far, my preference lies with EXO casing and foam insert, rather than DD casing and only air/sealant inside. A 29x2.4 Ardent with CushCore is about the same weight as a 29x2.3 Minion DD, for reference.
The wheels we use have the XM481 rim for 29ers, and the EX511 rim for 27.5". We agree on preference for high end aluminum rims over carbon.

Shred Dogg/27.5 vs The Smash/29: The Shred Dogg is better in tight corners, The Smash is better for keeping speed over rough and straighter lines. With your described terrain, the Shred Dogg seems like the way to go. If you want to experiment with larger diameters, the 27.5x2.6 tires are halfway between 27.5x2.3 and 29x2.3 in diameter, and still ride close enough to "normal" sizes. The Shred Dogg fits those (and up to 27.5x2.8").

Shock mount location: there are pros/cons with every layout. Using a vertical shock makes water bottle mounting easier, but it also makes for high loads in the rocker pivot through the seat tube, often limiting seat post insertion depth, the rocker itself experiences higher loads, along with the bearings in the rocker. The approximately horizontal shock orientation makes for low loads on the rocker link, rocker bearings, and seat tube, and sends rear wheel loads directly from the rear axle through a solid structure to the shock, and then into the largest diameter, strongest and stiffest tube in the frame. The downtube gives a substantial amount of torsional stiffness in the front triangle, so feeding shock loads into it is what I saw as a consolidation of structural efforts per say. If we need to put high loads somewhere, and want a big downtube for torsional stiffness, combine them. Over a couple iterations, the shock mount to DT interface has been refined where the required wall thickness increase to handle shock loads is very minimal compared to what it would need to be if the shock loads were fed into the BB.

Shipping: yep, can do that.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@mtg did you test this sucker with Megtrail height BB's? Thoughts on using eccentric bushings to dropify to ~13-13.2? Thanks!
Yeah, folks have actually been asking us for a little taller BB heights, and with the intended purpose of smashing rough terrain, that BB height makes sense. If you use eccentric bushings to lower it, you'd just need to check bottom out clearance between tire and seat tube.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wheel durability: There's no denying that 29er wheels/tires get heavier for a given strength. I've had many pinch flats and rim dents on all wheel sizes :) Recently, I've been running a 29x2.3 DD rear tire, and added Huck Norris after a rim smash. CushCore is next on the list of things to try, but any of the foam tire inserts help with pinch flatting, and with what I've ridden so far, my preference lies with EXO casing and foam insert, rather than DD casing and only air/sealant inside. A 29x2.4 Ardent with CushCore is about the same weight as a 29x2.3 Minion DD, for reference.
The wheels we use have the XM481 rim for 29ers, and the EX511 rim for 27.5". We agree on preference for high end aluminum rims over carbon.

Shred Dogg/27.5 vs The Smash/29: The Shred Dogg is better in tight corners, The Smash is better for keeping speed over rough and straighter lines. With your described terrain, the Shred Dogg seems like the way to go. If you want to experiment with larger diameters, the 27.5x2.6 tires are halfway between 27.5x2.3 and 29x2.3 in diameter, and still ride close enough to "normal" sizes. The Shred Dogg fits those (and up to 27.5x2.8").

Shock mount location: there are pros/cons with every layout. Using a vertical shock makes water bottle mounting easier, but it also makes for high loads in the rocker pivot through the seat tube, often limiting seat post insertion depth, the rocker itself experiences higher loads, along with the bearings in the rocker. The approximately horizontal shock orientation makes for low loads on the rocker link, rocker bearings, and seat tube, and sends rear wheel loads directly from the rear axle through a solid structure to the shock, and then into the largest diameter, strongest and stiffest tube in the frame. The downtube gives a substantial amount of torsional stiffness in the front triangle, so feeding shock loads into it is what I saw as a consolidation of structural efforts per say. If we need to put high loads somewhere, and want a big downtube for torsional stiffness, combine them. Over a couple iterations, the shock mount to DT interface has been refined where the required wall thickness increase to handle shock loads is very minimal compared to what it would need to be if the shock loads were fed into the BB.

Shipping: yep, can do that.
Holy jeez... thanks for the response! I think the Shred Dogg is the bike I'm looking for then...

But I've been doing a little lunch time reading... in your press release, you say that the Smash is for people in really rocky terrain that go really fast. What about really rocky terrain that isn't fast?! Is the Shred Dogg "supportive and poppy" (like the Trail Pistol) where the Megatrail/Smash are softer off the top, but ramp up heavily at the end of stroke?

Can the SD be made to be plush off the top too? I'm asking because traction over wet slimy roots, and the ability to pedal through chunder is super important to me . In their review of the Trail Pistol, Vital says the damping is super firm, and the bike needs to be ridden hard to come to life. That's great when you're feeling good and conditions are good, but when traction is hard to come by because it's greasy, or you're just feeling gassed, I'd be looking for a little extra help from the bike... Would that be done by messing with pressure and spacers in the shock, or would it require a slightly softer tune?

Or am I simply describing the Megatrail in trail mode?

I feel like I'm homing in on my target... thanks for taking the time to answer.

oh, one last question, re sizing. I'm 5'9" with really short legs. The Vital test said the 5'10 rider found the bike really long, but was ok with a 35mm stem. Can stem length be specified when putting in the order?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, one last question, re sizing. I'm 5'9" with really short legs. The Vital test said the 5'10 rider found the bike really long, but was ok with a 35mm stem. Can stem length be specified when putting in the order?
I'm 173 cm, so 5' 8.5" or thereabouts, with short legs and a long torso and arms. A medium 27.5" Megatrail felt huge and was ultimately too long for me. I'd go with a small in your shoes. I'm on a medium 2016 SC 5010 for instance, if you want to look up the geometry of that, and am very comfortable with the medium on that frame design/sizing scheme.

Speaking of which: Do you have a small Smash in your demo fleet yet, @mtg? :D

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah, folks have actually been asking us for a little taller BB heights, and with the intended purpose of smashing rough terrain, that BB height makes sense. If you use eccentric bushings to lower it, you'd just need to check bottom out clearance between tire and seat tube.
Yeah, just noticed the megatrail/ss got .2" higher. That's a good thing for me as 12.8" would cause me some problems. You guys have any medium demos in NorCal?