Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by mtg, Jun 20, 2012.

1. imbecile

imbecile Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 10
    @mtg What's the best RS tune for Megatrail v1? I'm thinking to give coil a try and wanna start with something simpler first, I found a nice Kage RC but it's an M/L tune...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    Medium tune is ideal for most on the first gen Megatrail

3. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    I smell something cooking in the oven, and it isn't MFJD's knee pads this time....

4. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    121 / 1,067
    I hope it's cookies. Jones'n for some cookies.

5. SuboptimusPrime

SuboptimusPrime Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 481
    When will the baking be done? Curious to see what y'all are cooking up. The rumors I've heard from your Virginia BAMF (who is an all around excellent dude) have my interest piqued.

6. liqwid

liqwid Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 7
    Recumbent? Big mountain reclineanator?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    195 / 1,484
    Does it smell purple? ;)

8. SylentK

SylentK Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 116
    MFJoeDodds? LMFAO!

Let me know if it's a 150+ 29/27.5 interchangeable machine. Cuz I'm about to blow a lot of money on one of those w/ another company located within our state...

PS. How was the Trail Pistol at Keystone day I saw on the Strava machine? Or was it IG? Anyways, I still heart Keith Stone. Rode Vail this weekend. Holy cow how I love teh Vail.

9. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    183 / 983
    What did you ride up there? Looking to perhaps hit some "new-to-me" Eagle County schtuff.

10. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    Keystone has been Pistol whipped. The coil sprung Pistol has been fucking awesome; I've done xc rides with 6k - 8k of climbing, and take the same setup to Keystone. Quantity of wheel size with some quality of suspension travel is pretty versatile.

And, Keystone is still awesome. The classics are still....classic. And, Paid in Full just got a new section that's awesome. It reminds me a bit of Silky Johnson, where you can get close to horizontal in the corners.

11. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    121 / 1,067

That's just fucked up.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    Pat yourself on the back for correctly guessing the name inspiration.

13. jstuhlman

jstuhlman We noticed.

Rep/Likes:
    262 / 2,130

14. HAB

HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 548
    Spy shot pictured:

Untitled-1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    195 / 1,484
    no comic sans, no care ...

16. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    It's already on the website, btw.

17. StiHacka

StiHacka Compensating for something

Rep/Likes:
    238 / 1,829
    Smashing!

• Horns Horns x 1
  18. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    #2498 -   Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Horns Horns x 1
  19. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 108
  20. Sandwich

Sandwich just shake your rump
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    49 / 418
    Just to comment directly rather than to idiot pinkbikers:
    Thank you for not making 30 different chainstay lengths for each size of your frames. I understand why norco does what they do, but I hate that if I want a large frame, I'm stuck with a longer chainstay length. Chainstay length is part of handling first and fit second, and if you want a bike with longer stays, that should be easy to find. Forcing tall people to ride barcaloungers is fine for the ebike guy on pinkbike, but I need something more nimble.

Good work with another handsome frame. susprised you didn't produce a 160mm option though. What was the rationale going 140 when you already have a 120?

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. SylentK

SylentK Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 116
    Mostly the "park". Altho we did a lap over to Cougar Ridge and down to Minturn in lieu of 2 Elk. It was cool, but 2 Elk is better. Lots of downed trees FYI.

I've ridden some of the new Eagle County stuff too. But while the lifts are spinnin, I generally don't ride them. But they are good. Lee's Way Down, Pool and Ice Rink. All good stuff.

The trail crew at Vail re-did Magic Forest. Now a Magic Forest/Old 9/Main Lane route is probably the best DH "track" in the state. IMO. Bring yer balls.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SylentK

SylentK Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 116
  23. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    195 / 1,484
    :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

24. roflbox

roflbox Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 104
    I don't need another bicycle I don't need another bicycle I don't need another bicycle I don't need another bicycle I don't need another bicycle

• Horns Horns x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  25. jstuhlman

jstuhlman We noticed.

Rep/Likes:
    262 / 2,130
    looks...well...badass

• Like Like x 1
  26. SkaredShtles

SkaredShtles I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    183 / 983
    This seems to be the theme on ALL trails that are even slightly "off-the-radar" this year. I really should ride Two Elks some time to its conclusion in Minturn. Have always climbed up the China Bowl service road to hit Cougar or Matterhorn...
    Heh. I've *looked* down Old 9 off the service road before... :fie::fie::fie:

27. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    There is a big section of "why 140mm travel" in the press release sent to the media outlets. Here's the summary:
    Because longer travel than 140mm on a 29er requires unfavorable geometry compromises of long chainstays, excessively tall BB heights, and/or the bent nail seat tube angles.
    So we set travel to 140mm, and then worked on the kinematics to give it the traction and feel of something that mows down rocks.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
  28. SylentK

SylentK Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 116
    And that's not the only bit of that trail that will make you pucker. So good :thumb:

29. ianjenn

ianjenn Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    14 / 265
    Hmmm how is the flex in the rear?

• Useful Useful x 1
  30. SuboptimusPrime

SuboptimusPrime Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    21 / 481
    Does this mean no 29r GG/DH? Whatever will the thousands of people unable to run shit over with 8 inches of travel and small wheels do?? Think of the children, Matt.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Horns Horns x 2
  31. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    19 / 230
    What's the difference between the Smash and the long shocked Trail Pistol?

• Like Like x 1
  32. slyfink

slyfink Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    63 / 681
    So this news release had me revisit your website. I'm looking for a trail bike. As I see it, from GG, I'm either looking at this or the Shred Dogg. I think your Ride 1 Build Kits offer exceptional value. Really amazing. So here's some questions for you.

I'm skeptical of 29rs mostly because of the weight of the wheels and durability. My main problems with tires are pinch flatting them when riding through rough terrain (rock gardens). I have settled on 26"x2.3 DD tires on my current ride (2013 Mojo HD). DD casings seem to provide the right "ride feel" in corners, and protection from pinch flats. Going to 29x2.3 in DD casing would add about 150-200g in rotational weight between the rim and the tire right? Seems like a lot. You've ridden both, what's the main difference between them? I ride on the east coast. there's lots of everything: roots, rocks, mud, short climbs, short descents. Our trails aren't really purpose built biking trails so there's lots of janky momentum robbing corners. Another issue I think I might have with 29rs in wheel stiffness. I'm heavy. I weigh 220lbs, and I ride relatively aggressively. I'm worried I'll be putting lots of stress on them leading to frequent loosening etc. I don't really ever want to own plastic rims, I've broken too many rims to ever want to consider paying upwards of $500 just to replace a rim. All this to say, I'm willing to throw down some coin to try a 29r to see for myself what all the fuss is about and whether the tradeoffs are worth it for me. But I'm still trying to get a better sense of the weight and durability tradeoffs.

Speaking of rims: when I google DT Swiss M1700, it points to the XM481 rim. Is that the one you're using?

This one is just a general question really... I'm no engineer, but I've read enough marketing copy to think I know a little about stuff :rolleyes: but why do you mount the shock to the down tube? Wouldn't it make more sense to mount it to the DT/ST junction, and make some space for a water bottle? Isn't the middle of the DT one of the weakest spots on that tube? Is it to control leverage rate and reduce bushing movement at the eyelet?

And finally, do you ship to UPS stores? I'd be willing to drive to the border, unbox and build, maybe even go for a ride, and then drive home...

33. sbabuser

sbabuser Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 21
    I was trying to explain Old 9 to somebody. All I could come up with was, "steep, unsustainable, fun, probably not there anymore..."

34. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    262 / 2,208
    like that the GG guys are taking a slow and steady approach to releasing new models (as opposed to rushing things to market just to have a bigger offering). seems like you guys might have an idea of what you're doing :D

• Like Like x 2
  35. Mr Lahey

Mr Lahey Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 26
    I was under the impression that Norco just changed the pivot location on the front triangles. No stocking shops around to verify first hand.

36. Sandwich

Sandwich just shake your rump
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    49 / 418
    that's true, it still changes the length of the chainstays

37. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    The Smash is designed as the "29er Megatrail", and has leverage curves designed for such, with traction and small bump compliance expected from a longer travel bike. The travel (140) is also longer than the long stroked Pistol (130), as well as Plush/Crush are tuned for two different leverage curves on The Smash purely for ride tuning, whereas on the Trail Pistol, it's also used as a 29/27+ change.
    But, of course there is some overlap between The Smash and the long stroked Trail Pistol, and as such, the long shocked Trail Pistol configuration has now been discontinued. Note, if you have one of those, it still rips and there's no need to yell at the clouds. Moving forward, it gives a wider selection for riders.

If somebody was really set on a 130mm travel Trail Pistol, but doesn't like the idea of 140mm travel, you can still order a Trail Pistol and go aftermarket on the shock (210x55), or set up The Smash with a little less sag in Crush Mode.

• Like Like x 1
  38. marshalolson

marshalolson Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 38
    @mtg did you test this sucker with Megtrail height BB's? Thoughts on using eccentric bushings to dropify to ~13-13.2? Thanks!

39. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    Wheel durability: There's no denying that 29er wheels/tires get heavier for a given strength. I've had many pinch flats and rim dents on all wheel sizes :) Recently, I've been running a 29x2.3 DD rear tire, and added Huck Norris after a rim smash. CushCore is next on the list of things to try, but any of the foam tire inserts help with pinch flatting, and with what I've ridden so far, my preference lies with EXO casing and foam insert, rather than DD casing and only air/sealant inside. A 29x2.4 Ardent with CushCore is about the same weight as a 29x2.3 Minion DD, for reference.
    The wheels we use have the XM481 rim for 29ers, and the EX511 rim for 27.5". We agree on preference for high end aluminum rims over carbon.

Shred Dogg/27.5 vs The Smash/29: The Shred Dogg is better in tight corners, The Smash is better for keeping speed over rough and straighter lines. With your described terrain, the Shred Dogg seems like the way to go. If you want to experiment with larger diameters, the 27.5x2.6 tires are halfway between 27.5x2.3 and 29x2.3 in diameter, and still ride close enough to "normal" sizes. The Shred Dogg fits those (and up to 27.5x2.8").

Shock mount location: there are pros/cons with every layout. Using a vertical shock makes water bottle mounting easier, but it also makes for high loads in the rocker pivot through the seat tube, often limiting seat post insertion depth, the rocker itself experiences higher loads, along with the bearings in the rocker. The approximately horizontal shock orientation makes for low loads on the rocker link, rocker bearings, and seat tube, and sends rear wheel loads directly from the rear axle through a solid structure to the shock, and then into the largest diameter, strongest and stiffest tube in the frame. The downtube gives a substantial amount of torsional stiffness in the front triangle, so feeding shock loads into it is what I saw as a consolidation of structural efforts per say. If we need to put high loads somewhere, and want a big downtube for torsional stiffness, combine them. Over a couple iterations, the shock mount to DT interface has been refined where the required wall thickness increase to handle shock loads is very minimal compared to what it would need to be if the shock loads were fed into the BB.

Shipping: yep, can do that.

• Useful Useful x 2
  40. mtg

mtg Green with Envy

Rep/Likes:
    30 / 399
    Yeah, folks have actually been asking us for a little taller BB heights, and with the intended purpose of smashing rough terrain, that BB height makes sense. If you use eccentric bushings to lower it, you'd just need to check bottom out clearance between tire and seat tube.