Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, just noticed the megatrail/ss got .2" higher. That's a good thing for me as 12.8" would cause me some problems. You guys have any medium demos in NorCal?
The closest to NorCal for demos is Gonzo Cycles in Santa Barbara (Carpenteria specifically). There is a BAMF and a shop employee in Truckee as well. What part of NorCal?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Holy jeez... thanks for the response! I think the Shred Dogg is the bike I'm looking for then...

But I've been doing a little lunch time reading... in your press release, you say that the Smash is for people in really rocky terrain that go really fast. What about really rocky terrain that isn't fast?! Is the Shred Dogg "supportive and poppy" (like the Trail Pistol) where the Megatrail/Smash are softer off the top, but ramp up heavily at the end of stroke?

Can the SD be made to be plush off the top too? I'm asking because traction over wet slimy roots, and the ability to pedal through chunder is super important to me . In their review of the Trail Pistol, Vital says the damping is super firm, and the bike needs to be ridden hard to come to life. That's great when you're feeling good and conditions are good, but when traction is hard to come by because it's greasy, or you're just feeling gassed, I'd be looking for a little extra help from the bike... Would that be done by messing with pressure and spacers in the shock, or would it require a slightly softer tune?

Or am I simply describing the Megatrail in trail mode?

I feel like I'm homing in on my target... thanks for taking the time to answer.

oh, one last question, re sizing. I'm 5'9" with really short legs. The Vital test said the 5'10 rider found the bike really long, but was ok with a 35mm stem. Can stem length be specified when putting in the order?
Rocky terrain that isn't as fast also points towards the Shred Dogg. With tuning sag, damping, and bottom out resistance, you can make it quite poppy, or tone it down a bit. To give max traction over wet roots, run a little higher sag, and consider running a coil sprung shock- it's quite forgiving.

Sizing: stem length is customizable; we stock a number of different lengths to be fit to each rider. That's common. color, build, etc.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm 173 cm, so 5' 8.5" or thereabouts, with short legs and a long torso and arms. A medium 27.5" Megatrail felt huge and was ultimately too long for me. I'd go with a small in your shoes. I'm on a medium 2016 SC 5010 for instance, if you want to look up the geometry of that, and am very comfortable with the medium on that frame design/sizing scheme.

Speaking of which: Do you have a small Smash in your demo fleet yet, @mtg? :D
There's a medium demo of The Smash, with the other sizes being built soon. We're trying to fit them in between finishing customer bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just out of curiosity.... I've noticed you've switched from CC to RS for shocks... What drove this decision? Or was this previously explained and I just missed it?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Just out of curiosity.... I've noticed you've switched from CC to RS for shocks... What drove this decision? Or was this previously explained and I just missed it?
Couple reasons:
We like the air spring curve on the RS Debonair system, whereas the Cane Creek in comparison is stiffer off the top and softer in the middle
The DB Inline started to have reliability issues, and long lead times for replacement parts
Then lead times on Cane Creek shocks reached 12 weeks
Then realized that RS shocks are better for demo bikes because we don't have to spend 10 minutes un-fu...err...fixing the damper settings every other time a bike gets ridden
Then we switched to Metric sizing, which CC didn't offer initially

Cane Creek has fixed some of the issues, and the DB Inline Coil (now in Metric) has been ordered a handful of times lately, and maybe will become an on-menu option. Stoke has been pretty high on that shock.

Not everybody is a Rockshox fan, so we've been looking to add more options. The ELEVENSIX is offered on most models, which is the best, albeit expensive. DB Inline Coil as mentioned above has been used on some builds, and DVO is something being considered.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Couple reasons:
We like the air spring curve on the RS Debonair system, whereas the Cane Creek in comparison is stiffer off the top and softer in the middle
The DB Inline started to have reliability issues, and long lead times for replacement parts
Then lead times on Cane Creek shocks reached 12 weeks
Then realized that RS shocks are better for demo bikes because we don't have to spend 10 minutes un-fu...err...fixing the damper settings every other time a bike gets ridden
Then we switched to Metric sizing, which CC didn't offer initially

Cane Creek has fixed some of the issues, and the DB Inline Coil (now in Metric) has been ordered a handful of times lately, and maybe will become an on-menu option. Stoke has been pretty high on that shock.

Not everybody is a Rockshox fan, so we've been looking to add more options. The ELEVENSIX is offered on most models, which is the best, albeit expensive. DB Inline Coil as mentioned above has been used on some builds, and DVO is something being considered.
How home-serviceable are the RS metrix shox?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
On a somewhat related note. I noticed this in the store last night. Will try soon.

http://www.megadethbeer.com/
  • Dave Mustaine has launched an exclusive Megadeth beer in partnership with the world class craft brewery, Unibroue. Unibroue is among the most highly awarded breweries in North America. Its beers have earned over 296 international medals to date.

• À TOUT LE MONDE, a Belgian style Saison Ale made in Quebec, is available now.

When a recovering, sober alcoholic releases a beer, of course it's a belgian saison because he's angry at everyone who can drink. :rofl:

When I think megadeth concert, I think saison.

edit: WTF is THIS??? http://mustainevineyards.com/

Somebody put some old slayer on, I don't feel so good........

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
  • Dave Mustaine has launched an exclusive Megadeth beer in partnership with the world class craft brewery, Unibroue. Unibroue is among the most highly awarded breweries in North America. Its beers have earned over 296 international medals to date.

• À TOUT LE MONDE, a Belgian style Saison Ale made in Quebec, is available now.

When a recovering, sober alcoholic releases a beer, of course it's a belgian saison because he's angry at everyone who can drink. :rofl:

When I think megadeth concert, I think saison.

edit: WTF is THIS??? http://mustainevineyards.com/

Somebody put some old slayer on, I don't feel so good........
Mustaine -

“Some (sober) people can never drink like normal people but I can and I do,” he said by phone from his home outside Nashville. “I can probably drink four or five beers. Being a rock star I gotta watch my gut.”

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
How home-serviceable are the RS metrix shox?
We haven't tried it yet, as the Metric shocks have actually been trouble free so far, but it appears to be the same as previous Rockshox rebuilds. They offer aftermarket piston kits to customize the tune, and the gas reservoir still has a Schrader valve. It appears to be DIY friendly.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Mustaine -

“Some (sober) people can never drink like normal people but I can and I do,” he said by phone from his home outside Nashville. “I can probably drink four or five beers. Being a rock star I gotta watch my gut.”
Typical. He's also referenced his disease and the fact that he cant drink anymore a zillion times. As someone who actively campaigned for rick santorum I'd expect no less

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Mustaine -

I'm the best beer drinker, everybody says I drink beer the best, I can drink it and not even get drunk. I'm tremendous at drinking beer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mustaine -

I'm the best beer drinker, everybody says I drink beer the best, I can drink it and not even get drunk. I'm tremendous at drinking beer.
"Pass the schnapps"