Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Anybody have the spacer size for the rocker pivot axle on a OG MT? I took it apart to lube it up and it only had one on the drive side.... or is it only supposed to have one???
One on the driveside is nominal. Anything additional would be used for fine tuning the alignment during assembly. It sounds like you're good to go.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
329B8633-91EA-465B-926A-26B863612253.jpeg
It’s funny you mention that. I just noticed that it’s really close to the seat tube on my drive side. Is that something that matters and if so what’s the fix?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It looks like you could use an extra spacer on the drive side. We've seen that happen sometimes when bearings get replaced, sometimes the spacers don't all make it back in there the same way. Send us an email and we'll mail some out.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
'Bout time the media gets how awesome this bike really is. (I don't think the Vital review really did it justice) And I know you GG guys don't really advertise this, but the fact that a buyer can swap out parts to make a different bike is really freaking awesome. Probably doesn't help with "bike sales" but may get you more lifetime owners and more "parts sales"?

Paradigm shift in the bike industry. We all know dam well that Santa Cruz isn't going to sell you frame parts to make your Hightower LT into a Blur LT. Ya know?

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
So... if I have a Smash with the Superdeluxe coil because the ElevenSix wasn't available as an option (ordered like three days after release), is there any way to get a Smash-tuned ElevenSix for less than retail, like a trade-in?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
So... if I have a Smash with the Superdeluxe coil because the ElevenSix wasn't available as an option (ordered like three days after release), is there any way to get a Smash-tuned ElevenSix for less than retail, like a trade-in?
You can get an ElevenSix for less than full retail via the GG Rider Program. ie, just order one through us for your bike. For selling a Super Deluxe Coil, I would suggest posting it in the Guerrilla Gravity MTBers facebook group, there's likely somebody that would snatch it up pretty quick.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
'Bout time the media gets how awesome this bike really is. (I don't think the Vital review really did it justice) And I know you GG guys don't really advertise this, but the fact that a buyer can swap out parts to make a different bike is really freaking awesome. Probably doesn't help with "bike sales" but may get you more lifetime owners and more "parts sales"?

Paradigm shift in the bike industry. We all know dam well that Santa Cruz isn't going to sell you frame parts to make your Hightower LT into a Blur LT. Ya know?
That can be a little frustrating with some of the media. There have been a few times where media folks weren't sold on the idea of steep seat tube angles, long wheelbases, etc, until a bigger company did it, and then all the sudden it was praised as some great innovation. But, 6 months prior, our long wheelbase was mentioned as cumbersome, for example. :butcher:

More advertising of the modularity of frames is planned for the future. It's on the back burner at the moment because the main focus is building bikes that are already on order. And, yes, there is the idea that it may be possible to squeeze more bike sales out of people if the frames could not be converted. However, our goal is to make mountain biking more awesome, and being able to convert your frame from a Megatrail to The Smash for significantly less money than buying a new frame makes mountain biking more awesome. :rockout:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That can be a little frustrating with some of the media. There have been a few times where media folks weren't sold on the idea of steep seat tube angles, long wheelbases, etc, until a bigger company did it, and then all the sudden it was praised as some great innovation. But, 6 months prior, our long wheelbase was mentioned as cumbersome, for example. :butcher:
Lizards.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
You can get an ElevenSix for less than full retail via the GG Rider Program. ie, just order one through us for your bike. For selling a Super Deluxe Coil, I would suggest posting it in the Guerrilla Gravity MTBers facebook group, there's likely somebody that would snatch it up pretty quick.
Most excellent, thanks!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
However, our goal is to make mountain biking more awesome, and being able to convert your frame from a Megatrail to The Smash for significantly less money than buying a new frame makes mountain biking more awesome. :rockout:
On that note, what exactly would that cost? I've seen a few Megtrails up for sale on the used market for pretty insane prices, now I'm tempted to scoop one up and give it the Smash treatment.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
hmmm. why not? I thought it was just 150mm rear end, with room for endcaps?! (Not that I have a dog in this fight, I'm still on 142x12)
It's an unneeded change. The 148mm hub width came along and took over a couple years ago, and now everything is standardized, the cassette being moved out slightly allows more chainring to chainstay clearance. We created more room yet by offsetting the rear hub by 3mm, which also makes for even spoke tension on both sides of the wheel while still using the same 148mm hub as just about everything else made in the past few years.
Most folks upgrade their whole bike these days vs buying frame only, in our experience. Despite that, if frames change to Super Boost, you either can't use an old rear wheel, or an adapter is required for hub width and brake rotor position. The adapters have been shunned by some hub companies to go from 142 to 148, and the change from 148 to 157 is a larger change yet. Adapters aren't going to be easier. There better be a solid improvement to justify the hassle of the change, and I don't see it with Super Boost.
Another nail in the coffin: existing 157 hub rear wheels are most likely going to be 26" or 27.5" DH wheels. New frames with Super Boost are almost entirely 29" all trail duro bikes. If you had a rear wheel to reuse, it probably needs to be rebuilt with new rims and spokes.

Feedback from suppliers is that only a handful of companies are doing the Super Boost thing (unlike 148mm, which was going to become the standard whether we wanted it or not). So, at worst, it's at least a slower uptake vs everybody just switching over, and hence something that can be avoided as another change in default hub size. We don't see the benefit, and are avoiding it.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
It's an unneeded change. The 148mm hub width came along and took over a couple years ago, and now everything is standardized, the cassette being moved out slightly allows more chainring to chainstay clearance. We created more room yet by offsetting the rear hub by 3mm, which also makes for even spoke tension on both sides of the wheel while still using the same 148mm hub as just about everything else made in the past few years.
Most folks upgrade their whole bike these days vs buying frame only, in our experience. Despite that, if frames change to Super Boost, you either can't use an old rear wheel, or an adapter is required for hub width and brake rotor position. The adapters have been shunned by some hub companies to go from 142 to 148, and the change from 148 to 157 is a larger change yet. Adapters aren't going to be easier. There better be a solid improvement to justify the hassle of the change, and I don't see it with Super Boost.
Another nail in the coffin: existing 157 hub rear wheels are most likely going to be 26" or 27.5" DH wheels. New frames with Super Boost are almost entirely 29" all trail duro bikes. If you had a rear wheel to reuse, it probably needs to be rebuilt with new rims and spokes.

Feedback from suppliers is that only a handful of companies are doing the Super Boost thing (unlike 148mm, which was going to become the standard whether we wanted it or not). So, at worst, it's at least a slower uptake vs everybody just switching over, and hence something that can be avoided as another change in default hub size. We don't see the benefit, and are avoiding it.

Keep it up mother fucker, keep it up...

XOXOXOXOXO,
Thin Lizzy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

just out of curiosity, any reason you don't utilize modular dropouts to address this hub width nonsense?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
just out of curiosity, any reason you don't utilize modular dropouts to address this hub width nonsense?
Heavier/more expensive/flexier. Choose at least one.

That’s another aspect where the advantages have to outweigh the negatives. You’re also limited on how many axle widths you can do based on cassette to chainring alignment. There would have to be more advantages than just allowing for Super Boost and Boost for it to make sense on our frames.

Things like Trail Mode/Gravity Mode and Plush/Crush have consistently proved to be worth the extra complication, as they offer a usable adjustment that makes a noticeable change in how the bike rides. I don’t see that being the case with a modular axle mount for 148/157.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I don’t see that being the case with a modular axle mount for 148/157.
Right, but 10 years ago you may have said the same with 135/142. No one saw 148 coming, or heaven forbid 157. Are we finally getting close to the end?>!

All I know for sure is on my Banshee's since 2015 I've run 135, 142, 148, and 150 hubs, and it's been pretty rad needing a $100 kit for each swap. Honestly not sure if they'll give us a 157 option going forward. Hopeful the chainline and cassette positioning works out, but we'll see.

And truth be told it's a cool thing to have IMO but not a deal breaker. Would love to entertain a Smash for next frame, axle width be damned. :headbang:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:thumb: for the response. but...
Most folks upgrade their whole bike these days vs buying frame only, in our experience.
:butcher: not by choice dammit, not by choice. :rant: All's I wanted was a frame with modern geo... I didn't need a new hub standard, let alone new wheel sizes.

If you had a rear wheel to reuse, it probably needs to be rebuilt with new rims and spokes.
This was me. I chose my new (to me) frame based on my current hubs. I just couldn't let my 142x12 King hubs sit there and rot into irrelevance. There has to be more than a handful of people with fancy parts that don't want to buy a whole new bike?!?!

Anyways, none of this is your fault... and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm not in the market for a new bike right now, but I sure as shit know where I'll be pointing people asking me what their next new bike should be...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Currently have bikes in 135, 142 and 157.
Like I said 157 Stupid Bust is a whatever as I have old-skool 157, so I am more apt to go for a 157 frame as opposed to having to deal with yet another size. :shakefist:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Heavier/more expensive/flexier. Choose at least one.

That’s another aspect where the advantages have to outweigh the negatives. You’re also limited on how many axle widths you can do based on cassette to chainring alignment. There would have to be more advantages than just allowing for Super Boost and Boost for it to make sense on our frames.

Things like Trail Mode/Gravity Mode and Plush/Crush have consistently proved to be worth the extra complication, as they offer a usable adjustment that makes a noticeable change in how the bike rides. I don’t see that being the case with a modular axle mount for 148/157.
Adjustable chainstay length is useful.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
that was the main reason i chose the uzzi back in 2009 (other than a weird fetish for misaligned stuff :D): adjustable travel and the adjustable g3 dropouts.

i’m the weird one who buys frames and swaps parts. only thing i had to do when i finally let the uzzi got was get a new rear hib and relace the wheel. hell, i could even use the same spokes, since the width was offset by a slightly taller flange height.

i’m all for maximum adjustability and modularity. build it strong and i’ll take the weight penalty.

but i’m an outlier for sure (probably most on teh monkey are, one way or another).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm not planning the event, but I'd say the usual Moab Modis Operandi consists of:

Whole Enchilada
Mag7 to Portal
Capt Ahab (and maybe something else off Amasa Back - Jacksons, Rockstacker, etc.)
Beers
Bikes
Grins
High fives

Not necessarily in that order :D

Oh, and I am planning on going...