Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I forgot to add, it's climbed like a billy goat on steep nasty stuff. I stayed pretty neutral in the saddle and just powered up with no hint of front wheel lift.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Put a Float X2 on mine today. Tuning definitely needs some work, but I'm reasonably impressed so far. As expected, the damper feels a lot like the CCDBa, but with a bit better mid stroke support from the spring.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Is there anybody over 225 that rides a fox 36 that can give me a few tips on getting it tuned in? I've got my CCDBA tuned in petty close already.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It requires a 55mm chainline, which can be done several ways: Race Face cranks with the standard 134mm spindle, direct mount ring, flipped, and put the 2.5mm BB spacer on the non drive side, Race Face cranks with the 143mm spindle installed per normal, or Sram cranks with a 0mm offset chainring.

Details wise, the cranks are the same cranks we use on the Megatrail, but with the flipped chainring per above.

If you're looking to run that One Up ring, it can likely be flipped just like the normal Race Face rings. It appears to have 1mm less offset than the RF rings, so you would likely leave the BB spacer on the drive side vs mounting it on the non drive side.

Wolftooth also has solutions if you're looking to retrofit existing cranks. Their CAMO system is pretty modular, and can make a 55mm chainline.

benitosbro

Chimp
Jan 10, 2013
Central Kentucky
It requires a 55mm chainline, which can be done several ways: Race Face cranks with the standard 134mm spindle, direct mount ring, flipped, and put the 2.5mm BB spacer on the non drive side, Race Face cranks with the 143mm spindle installed per normal, or Sram cranks with a 0mm offset chainring.

Details wise, the cranks are the same cranks we use on the Megatrail, but with the flipped chainring per above.

If you're looking to run that One Up ring, it can likely be flipped just like the normal Race Face rings. It appears to have 1mm less offset than the RF rings, so you would likely leave the BB spacer on the drive side vs mounting it on the non drive side.

Wolftooth also has solutions if you're looking to retrofit existing cranks. Their CAMO system is pretty modular, and can make a 55mm chainline.
I usually like the look of direct mount chain rings, but I will probably switch to the CAMO set-up after I wear out the included ring. Just nice to be able to swap out rings without removing the cranks- plus, I can run a longer-lasting stainless ring with this set up, and have it be lighter than a stainless direct mount. Can't wait to get this bike!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Some more thoughts on the X2, now that I've got some more time on it: in short it's really damn good. I've mostly run a CCDB air on my Megatrail, with a brief dalliance with a CCDB coil, which I didn't really get along with for a variety of reasons. Compared to the CCDBA, the biggest improvement is in the air spring. With the Cane Creek, in order to get the mid stroke support I wanted (I run exclusively super gravity mode), I had to stuff it full of volume spacers, which kinda worked, but came at the expense of making the last bit of travel mostly inaccessible unless I really fucked something up and hulk smashed the rear wheel. Running fewer spacers and more air also yielded decent mid stroke feel and marginally better bottom out residence, but threw off the geometry due to low sag and hurt small bump compliance. The X2 works way better in that regard. I'm running 2 volume spacers out of a maximum of 4. The damper is good, but not that wildly different from the Cane Creek. The rebound adjustment range is a little slow, especially for high speed, but not to the extent that I can't get it where I want to. Really light riders may struggle with that (I'm about 160lbs).

Overall it's a great shock, and markedly better than the Cane Creek it replaced. That said, in a lot of ways they're pretty similar, and so it's really not worth running out and buying one if you're pretty happy with a CCDBa. If you're expecting a night and day change you'll be disappointed.

benitosbro

Chimp
Jan 10, 2013
Central Kentucky
So far, I've been amazed at the level of performance I gained from a Push 11.6 shock on a Yeti SB-66, and will probably explore the option of having it retuned and retrofitted to my Trail Pistol- once I have the bike, and Push has done the testing. I'm impressed that I can send the shock back to them to be adapted to fit other applications- of course for the price, it helps justify the purchase. They can always borrow mine if they feel like coming to Kentucky.

benitosbro

Chimp
Jan 10, 2013
Central Kentucky
PCE1.jpg

Just received this from the delivery guy on Wednesday- wasn't able to finish building until last night, so no shots out on the trail yet. To help with my BAMF duties, I wanted a frame color that would stand out. I'd say I checked that box. I think I'll call it the "Pinkbike Freedom Linkage Haters Edition"- kind of long, but I'll work on it.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
With a ROCK SHOX rear shock..... damn I hate those piles of crap. I want LSC and HSC compression. Guess a X2 is in order for me at some point down the road.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
you guys gonna test the TP with a RockShox coilover with a climb mode as well?? or just offer it with the Monarch or the PUSH ??
Rockshox doesn't yet have any coil shocks in 210x50, but we designed the Trail Pistol to work well with them when available. The ElevenSix should be ready this winter.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
View attachment 123342

Just received this from the delivery guy on Wednesday- wasn't able to finish building until last night, so no shots out on the trail yet. To help with my BAMF duties, I wanted a frame color that would stand out. I'd say I checked that box. I think I'll call it the "Pinkbike Freedom Linkage Haters Edition"- kind of long, but I'll work on it.
well whats your thoughts??

benitosbro

Chimp
Jan 10, 2013
Central Kentucky
well whats your thoughts??

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this bike pedals! I didn't feel any wallow while mashing the pedals, but it wasn't so supportive that it let trail chatter through. I wasn't disappointed at all by running an air shock out of the starting gate. I didn't get more than a couple of dozen miles on the bike this weekend (was helping lead a mtb skills clinic, in the rain), but the sections of trail I rode were all PRs. I expected it to be very stable due to the geometry and wheelbase, but at the same time, it wasn't slow at all to turn through switchbacks and tighter sections. I'm 235 lbs. with gear right now, and never came close to bottoming out the Super Deluxe shock- but it will be for sale once Push finishes their work on the 11.6 for this application (I have one on my other bike that will get converted).

I did expect my actual cockpit set-up to be a tad longer than what it turned out to be on the Trail Pistol, but a few factors could lead into that: I'm 6'3" with monkey arms, my other bike has a much slacker seat tube, and 800mm bars are new to me. My last bike has more than an inch longer effective top tube on the TP, but I'm not looking for a new front triangle just yet. I'm going to get comfortable with it, and let my riding position acclimate, but I kept trying to slide back on the seat while I was hammering smoother sections of the trail. I think the frame is probably right for me, but I might mess around with a longer stem after a month or two (if winter holds off long enough).

I'm riding 29" wheels currently, and nothing stood in my way. I do have a Plus wheelset built up to test out as well, just to see how both sides of the coin look, but I want to beat on the wagon wheels while the trail is pristine.

I'll get out on more technical trails this weekend, and we will see how well this Pistol shoots!

benitosbro

Chimp
Jan 10, 2013
Central Kentucky
GG would you guys consider doing a 29" version of the MegaTrail ?? I want 29" wheel but don,t think the 120mm is gonna be enough at the end of the day .
I'll say that I'm currently bashing the shit out of the same trails I was running an SB-66 on (6" of travel), and the Trail Pistol has not disappointed. I'm fat, and really don't pick great lines, but I have yet to really have a bottom out situation. This bike feels as capable as my Niner WFO 9, and pedals much snappier.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I'll say that I'm currently bashing the shit out of the same trails I was running an SB-66 on (6" of travel), and the Trail Pistol has not disappointed. I'm fat, and really don't pick great lines, but I have yet to really have a bottom out situation. This bike feels as capable as my Niner WFO 9, and pedals much snappier.

good to hear , we rode some stuff the other day , I was glad I had the travel I have 170/167 with a 26" wheel , I used every mm of it , also the 1st time I heard my buddy wish he was on a DH bike , he,s on a 150mm 29" Enduro and he used every mm as well , could hear his tire buzzing the seat , does not help he,s close to 300lbs .

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I looked at doing a 29" Megatrail last year, and it really morphs into a different model. As the wheel gets bigger, you have to raise the axle to keep the BB height where you want it, and tire to seat tube clearance drops very quickly. Next thing you know, it's a whole new design with different machined parts, different tube fabrication fixtures, different weld fixtures, etc.

You can run a 29" front end on a Megatrail, which I've done and liked, or if less travel works, the Trail Pistol with a 140 fork is pretty capable. If you're riding somewhere that you're wishing for a DH bike, it will be short on travel, but for most rides, it's pretty awesome.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You can run a 29" front end on a Megatrail, which I've done and liked, or if less travel works, the Trail Pistol with a 140 fork is pretty capable. If you're riding somewhere that you're wishing for a DH bike, it will be short on travel, but for most rides, it's pretty awesome.
I've done some prelimnary testing of front wheel size on my MT. I've mostly been running it in 29" mode since I bought it. But last weekend at Mammoth I tried a 27.5. I think I like the 29" more. The 27.5 doesn't really make it feel more manuverable, but just less stable in techy stuff. However I think I'd have to try a 27.5 fork with reduced offset to get a real apples to apples comparison. Running a 27.5" in a large offset 29" fork probably makes it feel mostly likea 29" front wheel anyways.