Quantcast

Guess who is on the list now...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I heard the name Chris Powell was actually just an alter ego for David Thacker. Thacker is his name when he wants to live life outside the pro limelight. Then in his rockstar persona, he takes on the identity Chris Powell. When shriveling back to Thacker, he can often be heard mumbling in a voice much like Elvis "awwww....mahhhhnnn! That's Killer mahhhn!"
More like: "That's Bad A$$ Man!!!!"

I think he had all of us saying that by the end of the year. What happened to him?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Thacker's not racing so much as riding park and DJ's nowadays... He's still alive and kicking and rocking Rogue gear....

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
evidence of who is racing for the big paychecks right there. But who the heck is the guy on the KX who just appears out of nowhere riding backwards on the track...T-bones 1 rider, then pushes Alessi....???
None other than Matt Walker - Tedesco's Teammate. That was a crazy race. I was standing on the outside of that turn when it happened and could not believe what was happening. It was the stupidest thing I have ever seen anyone do. Then the little s@#% Alessi has the nerve to try to hit Tedesco's kill switch and stand on his front tire.

That was an intentional take-out for sure.

I thought the Lopes thing was pretty intentional. You can't expect to stop and avoid a collision at that rate of speed. Another factor was that it was the final race of the night, so both riders were familiar with the course. That part of the track was really the only place to pass from looking at the video, and Lopes had the fast line. Both riders definitely knew that was the place to pass but Lopes got the short end of the stick. If you want to win, especially in duel, you have to go for it I guess.

I've also met and ridden with Lopes several times. He's been fairly cool to me, just doesn't talk much and can be condescending. It's too bad that there are so many bad stories about him, hopefully he checks out the forum and adjusts his views on his fans and his attitude towards them durring these events.:clue:

After watching the vidoe, it really didn't look like a malicous take out to me. Gee technically had position. It all happened so fast comming around that corner off the stairs.
Getting taken out on a ballzy pass sucks, but lopes would of done the same, as he did the on Dan in the round just before.
That post on his websight, and his attitude on the situation just makes himself sound like a chode.

Nov 2, 2006
San Diego
I heard the name Chris Powell was actually just an alter ego for David Thacker. Thacker is his name when he wants to live life outside the pro limelight. Then in his rockstar persona, he takes on the identity Chris Powell. When shriveling back to Thacker, he can often be heard mumbling in a voice much like Elvis "awwww....mahhhhnnn! That's Killer mahhhn!"
Actually, Chris Powell is the alter ego for DarkHawk. http://www.marvel.com/universe/Darkhawk
He is I and I am him.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
One of the best takeouts ever...

Back in '94 at a Daytona Beach NBL national, a guy who posts on here, let's call him VC Ban, has a battle going with a local pro named Tony Szynaka. After going back and forth a few motos, Szynaka put VC over the second turn. VC stays on the bike down the back of the turn and proceeds to pedal full AA speed through the infield - through the first aid area and announcing tower - and blasts Szynaka as he's coming around the apex of the last turn, oblivious to the fact that he's about to get totalled. The turn was a 5' high raised sweeper with seating behind it so he gets catapulted WWF style into the crowd, taking a bunch of spectators down with him.

I tell this one at least once a year and my jaw always hurts from laughing so hard at the thought of the EMTs and announcer doing the WTF? double take as a guy sprints through them at full speed chasing his prey.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
That was a crazy deal for sure, I will elaborate,

it actually started in the main before that Tony ran it up the inside of me in the last turn and I hung my leg out in front of him to keep him from passing me, instead of going through my leg he tried to push me at my hips and run me off, didn't work and he was pissed and told me all about it at the finish line.
In the start gate for the next main, he starts telling the gate starter, (so that I could hear) that he was going to blast me and that his whole intention was to take me out, I laughed at him and said ok then bring it.
Going into the 2nd turn I thought I had positioned myself to the outside of his teammate David Milham so that Tony couldn't get to me....David slams on his brake's and I’m a sitting duck, Tony drills my and it was all I could do to stay on my bike,
I looked over and saw him still up and going down the straight away and I just blew a gasket, as said I ripped through the infield mostly I remember running over hoses and a big rake.

I cut through the center of the turn and up the elevated part and almost hit Tony head on, I tried to hit him as hard as I could and hit no brakes before impact....it was like a special teams hit when a guy doesn't know it's coming.

Tony flew backwards off the berm into the crowd, I stopped in the middle of the turn, alomst getting run over by the other guys in the race and yelled to him as he was lying on the ground tied up in a dog leash, if he wanted to keep it going we could.

We yelled at each other at the line...got warnings from Bob Tedesco and that was it...I think we were partying later that week at the clubs.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
That is one of the best "race" stories I have read on here in a while! Just goes to show that a guy that just about everybody views as being professional, classy and a great ambassador can lose his sh!t now and then. I have never seen the footage but I have a great mental video going on of a guy blasting through the infield to take someone out.. and it has me laughing outloud!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I laughed as well as I was stood on the berm looking at my revenge! But I was totally in the right IMO, his intention was to take me out not to race I just let him know that if that’s how it would be then that’s how I would handle it. I think intent has a lot to do with it
we all lose it during the heat of the moment some times, I think how you handle your self after the fact says a lot about your character, I hit a guy super hard who cut in front of me at mammoth during a practice run, later I found him and pulled him a side and apologized for my actions.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Phsycho Ike put Townsend into the finish line pole that same weekend. Right before Charles hit it, he let out this little "eeeeek!" scream like when a woman on a Looney Tunes sketch sees a mouse and jumps onto a table. Good times in FL.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I seem to recall that everyone's favourite NorCal posterboy Greg Romero once pulled some sh!t very similar to EC's story...I can't remember an exact date but I'm thinking somewhere between '98 and '00. He got bumped over the top of a turn early in the race and saw red, charging through the infield to exact bloody revenge on the culprit.

Instead of taking the real man's option and just riding into the guy head on, Romero parked on the side of a tabletop mid-straight and then ghostied his bike clean into the pack of riders. I remember seeing the sequence of photos and Romero has this "Yeaaah Boyeeeeeee / How you like me now!!??!" look on his face as his bike plows into a group of riders mid-air.

He copped a pretty big suspension for it if I remember correctly and fair enough too. What a ****head.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
He copped a pretty big suspension for it if I remember correctly and fair enough too. What a ****head.
Phoenix '98. He got into it with Neil Wood and Neil had Greg in a headlock when the officials broke it up. Nowhere near the entertainment value of Carter blasting Szynaka.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
... we all lose it during the heat of the moment some times, I think how you handle your self after the fact says a lot about your character, I hit a guy super hard who cut in front of me at mammoth during a practice run, later I found him and pulled him a side and apologized for my actions.
Well said...

That's what makes a person a class act - how you conduct yourself in intense situations like that. We're only human, we all loose our heads, but the point is to strive to become better and learn from our mistakes.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
last comment to BL
I'll quote T.I. from "I cant quit"
"If people ain't hatin' - start worrying then"
ebonics translation - This is a long thread and
although it's turned into a baller takeout discussion.
alot of comments made against BL - wouldn't be
made if you weren't the man! people hate on you
when you are the best, maybe he whines a little but
it just goes to show he wants to win every time!
Noone likes to be taken out when leading, by some
chump move, maybe just bringing it back on the course
is the way to role - much respect BL

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I just remembered my "Crush 'em" story. Tame in comparison to all these...but I used to ride moto and me and my buddies had lots of woodsy acreage to chase on around all our houses here on days we couldn't go to the track. Tight trails in the rhodendron thickets all over. We got real bored one time and made up a game of moto tag based on our race strategies with one another.

We are all little hillbillies and wouldn't hesitate to hammer one another with a bike and get up laughing.

So anyway...the only rule was you had to tag the other guy's bike hard enough for it to knock 1 foot off. I think it was 6 of us playing. We "kept track" of points. The person that was it had to get at least 2 other guys. It was ROUGH! One kid got highsided in the corn field. One kid got t-boned into a fence (gotta go around Mr. McClure's fence boys).

We stopped it once I tracked down this stocky dude on a KX80 and tagged his rear wheel straight on (on my KX 125)...and jumped up his wheel and off his back (just my front wheel) and we both wound up in a ditch.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey EC...that foot out technique to prevent passing...JeffD must have learned it back in maybe his 1A days. It must be the trick that got him his AA card. I got to watch him in a video where he'd pull the entire pack on the straight...moto foot around the berm and hang everybody up behind him..then pull to the next foot out berm.