Quantcast

Guinness is NOT good for you... AKA, dont open a beer bottle with a chain tool.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
3 buddies and I went on a fri/sat trip to the bay area to hit up Skyline and Annadell.

Rode skyline all day, no issues, no injuries, everything was great.

Went to the hotel to chill out in the hot tub. I was opening up a couple beers for my buds. Didnt have a bottle opener, so I went to pull out my trustly Ritchey chain breaker which I had used to pop a few beers open earlier in the day.

Was having a little trouble with this Guinness, so I put a little power behind it and BLAMMO :)

Fairly graphic...

Here is a picture just after it occurred

and after going to the hospital

while my buddy was cleaning me up, he noticed something shiny on the wall...

hrm, what could it be, just 3 feet away??

Anyhow, after I got it stitched up we rode 30 miles the next day at Annadell. Great stuff. The doctors and nurses at Kaiser were awesome, they all rode and gave me great guidance for the Annadell trip.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by SpuTTer916

Anyhow, after I got it stitched up we rode 30 miles the next day at Annadell. Great stuff. The doctors and nurses at Kaiser were awesome, they all rode and gave me great guidance for the Annadell trip.
Glad you ended up having a good time.

I smell lawsuit!

Let us know what Ritchey settles for.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
LOL yeah. It was not a good day for my ego :)

I had the same thoughts! Sue everyone! Faulty glass! Faulty Chain Tool! Hotel should have pointed out the bottle opener!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I've only seen it done, but for future reference, you can open a bottle using another unopened bottle. I suggest asking someone to show you how or attempting to learn on cheap beer.

5cents

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
in the 303/720
Hey now, don't be blaming Guinness.

J/k - glad your okay, and only minor wounds. It could have been a lot worse that just a few stitches.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
The Ritchey had never let me down before :) I think I was just in a little bit of a rush to get to the hot tub after a day of riding at Skyline. I think I'll be adding a bottle opener to my camelback on trips now..

Like Lance says in his book, "It's not about the beer."

or something like that.... :confused:

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
I like how they clearly label the tool for "Bottle"

Now if only my Ritchey tool explicitly said "Chain" on it, this would never have happened.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Damn! that Guiness RESPECTED your ass! that was it's way of telling you that there was a proper bottle opener right there on the wall the whole time. I have one of those Pedros tools just in case but Park has an older BB tool that works perfectly, not just "works" like a ritchey chain tool. Or you could be like my ex-girlfriend and use your teeth:D. not the best idea, especially when you don't have dental ins.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Yes, the guinness was ok! My buddy drank it up. The break wasnt big enough to cause the floater ball to come out when pouring so he was golden!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Damn, chain tool. Interesting idea.

I was drinking a few days ago with some fellow students in our school's cartography/GIS lab. Just used the trusty put-it-on-the-edge-of-a-table and slam on the cap method. Works every time.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Originally posted by JRogers
Damn, chain tool. Interesting idea.

I was drinking a few days ago with some fellow students in our school's cartography/GIS lab. Just used the trusty put-it-on-the-edge-of-a-table and slam on the cap method. Works every time.
agreed. my friends are amazed when i do this trick. they act as though i parted the red sea or something.
another cool trick i learned in college, our windows in the dorms had a perfect lip on them to open bottles. one of the only benefits of wentworth-less

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Yeah I did. We got 30 miles in even with my gimp hand.

It was our first time so I dont think we took the best routes...

We rode UP south berma, but it looked like it would be sweet going the other way..

We got out to the rim trail which we assumed would be mostly downhill.... we had run out of water so were unhappy to see that it wasnt. But it did have a good downhill bomb at the end. Then we hit the downhill seciton on the Marsh fireroad... whoa nelly you can haul a$$ there!!!

Rough go was a bit of a dissapointment, but still fun.

Overall I had a great time and I'd like to go back again.

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
It didnt bleed for at least 5 seconds afterward, giving me a great oppourtunity to see the white fatty **** in my finger.

However, he did drink the beer :) Guinness will cover up anything.