Quantcast
Food for thought (link to Atlantic article)
Not particularly convincing. I grew up with firearms, continued in the Army, have used them ineffectively to keep woodchucks out of garden, and occasionally effectively to suggest that people who are doing something I don't like to get off our property. I have also gone up against armed people with words. I know how to use the tools but no longer agree that they're generally useful, and I can deal with life without one as a crutch. I still have one or three, but they're not core to by being or sense of security.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Ever been in a teachers lounge? :panic:
Unfortunately yes, back in the day. You had to go in at a crouch to get under the thick layer of cigarette smoke. There was always the one weird history teacher all by himself over in the corner. Then there was the sudden sharp stop in all conversation whilst every head swung in your direction at the same time. Everybody giving you the exact same look - kinda like they were being controlled by a hive mind...:shocked::twitch::tinfoil:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/02/27/florida-house-panel-rejects-ban-on-assault-weapons/

TLDR

Voting along party lines, the House Appropriations Committee approved training teachers to carry guns in class under the direction of local law enforcement — if superintendents or school boards approve.
The $67 million "school marshal" program is the most controversial aspect of a House bill that imposes a three-day waiting period for gun purchases, raises the age to buy any gun from 18 to 21 and gives police more power to seize guns from people who threaten themselves or others. Most of the money for the marshal program would be spent on training.
The goal: 10 marshals (teachers trained to carry a gun) in every school, which would equate to 37,000 statewide. The state would cover the costs of background checks, drug testing, psychological exams and 132 hours of training. The bill does provide a one-time $500 stipend for those who volunteer to have a gun.

The bill also calls for spending $400 million to put a school resource officer in every school, improve mental health counseling and make public school buildings safer.
Oh Florida. You so silly!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
See what crazy shit delves into as he keeps going.
Oh fuck I'm dying. He starts ranting about video games and violent TV shows then he says,

It's easy to blame an object. Why don't we look at the mental concept, and the family structure. And [garbled]
And by the way I support guns on teachers
Then some random crazy old codger hollers,

And the crowd applauds.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ever been in a teachers lounge? :panic:
lots of my teachers were alcoholics.....heard one teacher heaving in a trash cab before.

i remember one my friends seeing the ap english teacher at the point to point horse race crouched down between two cars....bush hanging out taking a piss....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
lots of my teachers were alcoholics.....heard one teacher heaving in a trash cab before.

i remember one my friends seeing the ap english teacher at the point to point horse race crouched down between two cars....bush hanging out taking a piss....
At least you learned early on your perfect perception of the world was not so perfect. Some people are old as F and still living under the false perception. Heros, stand up citizens, do-gooders, rarely anyone lives up to our perceptions when we study them in depth and know all the things in their lives.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had a French teacher who threw a desk through a window when the class did not appropriately respond to her "bonjour la class" with "bonjour Madame". The rumor was that despite being French, she like a little irish in her coffee.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can I just LOL at all of the youtube ad's which seem to have sprung up before everything I watch which are advocating for concealed carry...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had a French teacher who threw a desk through a window when the class did not appropriately respond to her "bonjour la class" with "bonjour Madame". The rumor was that despite being French, she like a little irish in her coffee.
Well I got full on punched by a teacher in Jr High. If I had my 9mm we could have exchanged fire across the halls.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I thank the FSM that none of my teachers were carrying guns. Some of them were packing/packed for sure, but none carried guns that I was aware of...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Did you dye your hair or get possesed by a soul?
I'm guessing you had something to do with it Lizard-man with your Genetic Ginger Modification procedures. Just like the guy in the elevator who rips one then says, "eew" or vomits first to distract the other non-lizards. Not falling for your smoke and mirrors this time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm guessing you had something to do with it Lizard-man with your Genetic Ginger Modification procedures. Just like the guy in the elevator who rips one then says, "eew" or vomits first to distract the other non-lizards. Not falling for your smoke and mirrors this time.

I was afraid this day would come.

jdcamb has become contagious.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Another shooting in an AL school. 1 dead.

" this wasn't like the other school shootings, we think this was accidental or a student was just showing off his gun and accidentally shot someone then accidentally shot himself"

WTF isn't wrong with that sentence?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/3/8/17095178/who-is-going-trump-video-games-meeting-white-house

Ah we can all stop worrying about gun violence now folks. Trump is going to solve it by banning video games... :wait:
When video games are outlawed, only outlaws will have video games! You can have my controller when you pry it from my cold, dead, cramped and mutated into position hands!

(But I dont play, never really have played, and never plan to play any video games. I have better things to do with my life...)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just went through the corporate active shooter training.

Could pretty much sum it up as: Run, maybe hide, try not to get shot by the cops when they show up.