Quantcast

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The troops fought and died for our freedom so we could freely kill more of our own at home. For less life, some liberty, and the pursuit of occasional happiness. God "bless" America

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
  • In 2014, the FBI reports there were only 224 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm. That same year, there were 7,670 criminal gun homicides. Guns were used in 34 criminal homicides for every justifiable homicide.
  • Intended victims of violent crimes engaged in self-protective behavior that involved a firearm in 1.1 percent of attempted and completed incidents between 2013 and 2015.
  • Intended victims of property crimes engaged in self-protective behavior that involved a firearm in 0.2 percent of attempted and completed incidents between 2013 and 2015.
A good guy with a gun is an extreme outlier in the real world. The average citizen is not regularly using guns for self defense, like gambling, is another tax on stupid people. Three times as many people are accidentally shot dead as they are shot dead in self-defense (and about 1% in non-lethal criminal encounters), neither of which are even close to as likely significant problems like criminal homicide and especially suicides.

http://www.vpc.org/revealing-the-impacts-of-gun-violence/self-defense-gun-use/

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A good guy with a gun is an extreme outlier in the real world. The average citizen is not regularly using guns for self defense, like gambling, is another tax on stupid people. Three times as many people are accidentally shot dead as they are shot dead in self-defense (and about 1% in non-lethal criminal encounters), neither of which are even close to as likely significant problems like criminal homicide and especially suicides.

http://www.vpc.org/revealing-the-impacts-of-gun-violence/self-defense-gun-use/
I'm guessing those few instances where a potential victim shot the attacker dead was most likely done with a shotgun or a handgun by someone with the proper training.

I remember one a few years ago where a single mother shot an killed an assailant with a 12ga. as he was kicking in the door. And another one where a robber was shot with a shotgun while trying to rob a local jewelry store.

I read somewhere on here a post by MikeD that detailed whats what about guns and self-defense. He said best option was always a shotgun. No on needs an AR-15 and 10 30 round mags for self-defense.

Unfortunately whenever one of these events happens, the frothers start touting guns and using it as reinforcement for their claims.

It's really sad to me that not only do we live in a culture that has a sick obsession with guns, but there is no required training to own them. That is of course not to say that many gun enthusiasts don't take classes voluntarily. But any dumb fuck who can barely operate a door knob can buy military grade firearms.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I'm guessing those few instances where a potential victim shot the attacker dead was most likely done with a shotgun or a handgun by someone with the proper training.

I remember one a few years ago where a single mother shot an killed an assailant with a 12ga. as he was kicking in the door. And another one where a robber was shot with a shotgun while trying to rob a local jewelry store.

I read somewhere on here a post by MikeD that detailed whats what about guns and self-defense. He said best option was always a shotgun. No on needs an AR-15 and 10 30 round mags for self-defense.

Unfortunately whenever one of these events happens, the frothers start touting guns and using it as reinforcement for their claims.

It's really sad to me that not only do we live in a culture that has a sick obsession with guns, but there is no required training to own them. That is of course not to say that many gun enthusiasts don't take classes voluntarily. But any dumb fuck who can barely operate a door knob can buy military grade firearms.
I think I have spoken here about his before, but I will do it again just because its Monday and I am bored.

A few years ago I read an OP/Ed piece by some guy, whos name escapes me, representing Gun Owners of America. He seemed very reasonable and logical, and his email was at the bottom of the article, so I sent him a message telling him that I appreciated his viewpoint, and did his organization support mandatory user training and insuring of weapons?

Of course not. Mandating mandatory training and insuring is against the Constitution. Where is the secret list of things that are against the Constitution? Simply because something is not listed in there, does not make it against the damn thing...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I think I have spoken here about his before, but I will do it again just because its Monday and I am bored.

A few years ago I read an OP/Ed piece by some guy, whos name escapes me, representing Gun Owners of America. He seemed very reasonable and logical, and his email was at the bottom of the article, so I sent him a message telling him that I appreciated his viewpoint, and did his organization support mandatory user training and insuring of weapons?

Of course not. Mandating mandatory training and insuring is against the Constitution. Where is the secret list of things that are against the Constitution? Simply because something is not listed in there, does not make it against the damn thing...
One of the senators who was shot last year at a softball game in a mas shooting, Scalise?, is still not in favor of any kind of gun control.

I'll try to find the article later.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One of the senators who was shot last year at a softball game in a mas shooting, Scalise?, is still not in favor of any kind of gun control.

I'll try to find the article later.
If you listened to him address congress, you'd know he thanks AR-15 realtree-Jesus for getting him into that mess and calls it a "miracle".

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So, the shit you love would have killed you if not for one of the people you despise whom saves your life....

...and you did not learn anything, no takeaway from the experience, nothing?
Kind of the definition of and now the face of Stupid if you ask me.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
So, the shit you love would have killed you if not for one of the people you despise whom saves your life....

For at least the past three decades the GOP has steadfastly campaigned against education. Going so far as to vilify higher education and ridiculing those with degrees as Educated Liberal Elite. They, like slave owners, recognized the threat of education to control a minority.

Unfortunately this fear of education has come home to roost as it has spread further than intended. We are now stuck with this mentality that has taken a firm hold on even elected officials. Simply put, the GOP has created an entire generation of dumb fucks that are now running the government.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

He wouldn't be a republican if he was capable of introspection.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
For at least the past three decades the GOP has steadfastly campaigned against education. Going so far as to vilify higher education and ridiculing those with degrees as Educated Liberal Elite. They, like slave owners, recognized the threat of education to control a minority.

Unfortunately this fear of education has come home to roost as it has spread further than intended. We are now stuck with this mentality that has taken a firm hold on even elected officials. Simply put, the GOP has created an entire generation of dumb fucks that are now running the government.
He wouldn't be a republican if he was capable of introspection.

Gentlemen

My last rays of hope have been suitably extinguished.
My sincerest apologies for this transgression.

m

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The first lawsuit has been filed: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-10/las-vegas-shooting-victims-sue-bump-stock-maker

Here's the kicker statements though:
Slide Fire founder Jeremiah Cottle said:
bump stocks were for “people like me [who] love full auto,” referring to automatic weapons.
And from the lawsuit itself:
“Plaintiffs are unaware of any measures taken by Slide Fire to ensure that bump stocks would only be sold to persons whose hands had limited mobility, or to even see if persons buying bump stocks who were not limited in mobility had any legitimate reason to buy them,” the lawsuit states.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I hope they sue the fuck out of them.

Nobody cares about your love for fucking guns anymore. People just want to be able to go out in public without being shot to pieces.
Your whole gun culture is a fucking obscenity and the whole world is looking at you like youre a bunch of tiny dick gun slinging cowboys.

You get a hard on from automatic weapons go play call of duty like the rest of us.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hope they sue the fuck out of them.

Nobody cares about your love for fucking guns anymore. People just want to be able to go out in public without being shot to pieces.
Your whole gun culture is a fucking obscenity and the whole world is looking at you like youre a bunch of tiny dick gun slinging cowboys.

You get a hard on from automatic weapons go play call of duty like the rest of us.
even the NRA isn't gonna stop the bump stop ban.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The piece I saw about it was basically this one wasn't worth fighting in the big scheme of things

I will bet $5 that they do some analysis and come out with a statement along the lines of "shooting people with a bump stock is already illegal. See, gun laws don't work!"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bump Stocks back on shelves for sale. While it wasn't the time to talk about such things, we stopped talking about such things.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bump Stocks back on shelves for sale. While it wasn't the time to talk about such things, we stopped talking about such things.
#dislike

They pretty much had some Vegas victims saying that earlier this evening, a month gone and nothing has happened. Then the CO shooting occurred.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But we better build a wall because some brown kid with too many vowels in his name rented a truck in new jersey and ran some cyclists down in Manhattan.
Not just a wall. Stop immigration. Lord knows how much better of this country would be with no immigrants.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So they think letting everyone have pseudo automatic guns is fine, but the crazies should have more access to mental health facilities.

But obviously the gub'mint shouldn't pay for those mental health facilities and so the vicious circle continues...