Quantcast

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Gee.

I wonder they they didn't.
What data would you like to see and how would you use it improve ‘gun safety’?

The data won’t necessarily promote the ‘angry white guy clinging to god and his AR....

‘The demographic characteristics of homicide victims and offenders were different from the characteristics of the general population
Based on available data from 1980 to 2008—
 Blacks were disproportionately represented as both homicide victims and offenders. The victimization rate for blacks (27.8
per 100,000) was 6 times higher than the rate for whites (4.5 per 100,000). e offending rate for blacks (34.4 per 100,000) was almost 8 times higher than the rate for whites (4.5 per 100,000) (table 1).
 Males represented 77% of homicide victims and nearly 90% of offenders. The victimization rate for males (11.6 per 100,000) was 3 times higher than the rate for females (3.4 per 100,000). The offending rate for males (15.1 per 100,000) was almost 9 times higher than the rate for females (1.7 per 100,000).
 Approximately a third (34%) of murder victims and almost half (49%) of the offenders were under age 25. For both victims and offenders, the rate per 100,000 peaked in the 18 to 24 year-old age group at 17.1 victims per 100,000 and 29.3 offenders per 100,000.’

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Nice hit piece.

I shoot a lot, have blood tested for lead every 6mos for employment reasons and have low lead levels, but mainly shoot outdoors.

Jacketed bullets and products like Speers Cleanfire ammo go a long way towards reducing harmful by products too.

Per the CDC, top sources of lead poisoning:
But by all means, let’s target gun ranges ‘for the children’ when the articles CDC link shows that 94% of all lead poisoning was occupation related and shooting was just one of the non-occupational sources, not ‘the most common’ way.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Dude, deflect much?
The discussion is gunz and bulletz, not chewing on your bedroom window-sill.
( you really should stop doing that ya know :nose:)

Nobody is talking about banning target / range shooting, but are discussing the people with no regard for their workers or customers.
I bet you some ranges are perfectly fine, clean, good staff etc, but I will also bet that some are below the bottom of the barrel with owners whose only link to humanity is a vaguely similar form. But based upon the graphic, it looks like slime is far out in front. Do a little math and it shows that the average inspection shows up quite a few lead violations. Self policing always works :rofl: And as you said, you can get "safer" ammo, but just like everything else, money talks, so the cheapest usually wins.

Problem is you as a guy off the street have no idea if you are walking into a relatively safe environment, or one that will guarantee you bring home a few extra special things for your family. That is the issue, not your ability to play with your toys.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What data would you like to see and how would you use it improve ‘gun safety’?
Firearm specific data. Exactly the kind of information the NRA has prevented public agencies from collecting.

I'd use it to point out the obvious: When you let a population have weapons of war, you get war-like scenarios. What people who live in civilized first world countries call common sense.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In 2016 there were 7100 people murdered with handguns.
Rifles of all types accounted for 374.

Is JMs handgun a weapon of war in your mind? It’s essentially the most powerful handgun in existence.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is JMs handgun a weapon of war in your mind? It’s essentially the most powerful handgun in existence.
Yep. Without question.

And if he was a brown person he stands a pretty high likelihood of getting shot reaching for his wallet simply out of the realistic fear that he may be grabbing such a handgun. The prevalence of such tools not only endangers us amongst ourselves but also from law enforcement who are scared shitless of people having these things and so attack first.

And back on topic, do some research on police agencies' use of handguns nationally. You can't because that data doesn't exist. Not in any meaningful context. Scores of localities barely even register the incidences of use.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yep. Without question.

And if he was a brown person he stands a pretty high likelihood of getting shot reaching for his wallet simply out of the realistic fear that he may be grabbing such a handgun. The prevalence of such tools not only endangers us amongst ourselves but also from law enforcement who are scared shitless of people having these things and so attack first.

And back on topic, do some research on police agencies' use of handguns nationally. You can't because that data doesn't exist. Not in any meaningful context. Scores of localities barely even register the incidences of use.
Don't have the time to search for it, but I read an article, maybe linked from here, about Federal record keeping for gun registration. It seems that either a law was passed or some action that prevented the agency from digitizing their files mandating that the entire system remain archaic and non computerized. This makes it nearly impossible to search files or collect data since they are stored in a single giant facility that is under staffed and computers aren't allowed.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't have the time to search for it, but I read an article, maybe linked from here, about Federal record keeping for gun registration. It seems that either a law was passed or some action that prevented the agency from digitizing their files mandating that the entire system remain archaic and non computerized. This makes it nearly impossible to search files or collect data since they are stored in a single giant facility that is under staffed and computers aren't allowed.
there have been so many pieces on this

From john oliver and john stewart to cbs/60minutes to name your favorite non-Murdoch newspaper

Christ, even as a mountain biker I suffer from this shit to a minor degree. I've been held up at the border going to whistler numerous times because the meat heads at the border crossing just simply can't believe a smelly guy who's been living in the woods for a week riding bikes in Washington isn't also carrying an arsenal. This should be an easy check. But given the culture here AND the lack of coherent tracking, I can't really blame them.

But that kind of shit has cost me an afternoon of riding on my one notable vacation I take a year. Talk about infringing on muh freedom. That shit pisses me off.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
there have been so many pieces on this

From john oliver and john stewart to cbs/60minutes to name your favorite non-Murdoch newspaper

Christ, even as a mountain biker I suffer from this shit to a minor degree. I've been held up at the border going to whistler numerous times because the meat heads at the border crossing just simply can't believe a smelly guy who's been living in the woods for a week riding bikes in Washington isn't also carrying an arsenal. This should be an easy check. But given the culture here AND the lack of coherent tracking, I can't really blame them.

But that kind of shit has cost me an afternoon of riding on my one notable vacation I take a year. Talk about infringing on muh freedom. That shit pisses me off.
just looking for your weed is all....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice hit piece.

I shoot a lot, have blood tested for lead every 6mos for employment reasons and have low lead levels, but mainly shoot outdoors.

Jacketed bullets and products like Speers Cleanfire ammo go a long way towards reducing harmful by products too.

Per the CDC, top sources of lead poisoning:
But by all means, let’s target gun ranges ‘for the children’ when the articles CDC link shows that 94% of all lead poisoning was occupation related and shooting was just one of the non-occupational sources, not ‘the most common’ way.
So you are saying that because you don't use indoor ranges and have no lead in your system that poorly maintained ranges don't have lead issues? And since there are more prevalent causes of lead poisoning, lead in ranges isn't a problem?

Jacketed bullets limit lead exposure untill they splatter on a concrete back stop.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So you are saying that because you don't use indoor ranges and have no lead in your system that poorly maintained ranges don't have lead issues? And since there are more prevalent causes of lead poisoning, lead in ranges isn't a problem?

Jacketed bullets limit lead exposure untill they splatter on a concrete back stop.
I’m saying it’s easy to avoid filthy ranges, much like one can avoid filthy restaurants.
I’ve been in some with no ventilation and others like those at Sig Sauer where you don’t even smell the powder it’s so well ventilated.

Never seen a concrete backstop as shooting at directly hard surfaces is kinda stupid.

My point was this article wasn’t written out of health concerns.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Blankies for the immasculated
Perhaps, but scared white dudes are largely not responsible for gun homicides.

"If a white man dies from gunfire, the odds are that he pulled the trigger himself. If a black man dies from gunfire, the odds are that someone else pulled the trigger, usually another black man. A staggering 82 percent of African-American gun deaths are homicides. Only 14 percent are suicides. The overall gun-death rate for black males is roughly double what it is for white males, and for black males between the ages of 20 and 29, the rate is approximately 89 per 100,000. As the Brookings study points out, this nearly matches Honduras’s overall murder rate, and Honduras is the murder capital of the world. Or, as Brookings scholars Richard Reeves and Sarah Holmes put it: “In 2013, firearm deaths accounted for over 11 percent of all years of potential life lost among the black population, but less than 6 percent of all years of potential life lost among the white population.” Now let’s add an unexpected twist: Gun deaths are lowest in the population that owns the most guns."

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
OK

'The FBI released its official crime tally for 2016 today, and the data flies in the face of the rhetoric that professional athletes rehearsed in revived Black Lives Matter protests over the weekend. Nearly 900 additional blacks were killed in 2016 compared with 2015, bringing the black homicide-victim total to 7,881. Those 7,881 “black bodies,” in the parlance of Ta-Nehisi Coates, are 1,305 more than the number of white victims (which in this case includes most Hispanics) for the same period, though blacks are only 13 percent of the nation’s population. The increase in black homicide deaths last year comes on top of a previous 900-victim increase between 2014 and 2015.

Who is killing these black victims? Not whites, and not the police, but other blacks.
In 2016, the police fatally shot 233 blacks, the vast majority armed and dangerous, according to the Washington Post. The Post categorized only 16 black male victims of police shootings as “unarmed.” That classification masks assaults against officers and violent resistance to arrest. Contrary to the Black Lives Matter narrative, the police have much more to fear from black males than black males have to fear from the police. In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer. Black males have made up 42 percent of all cop-killers over the last decade, though they are only 6 percent of the population. '

edited for double post

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Perhaps, but scared white dudes are largely not responsible for gun homicides.
As it's been said on here before, the more guns out there the more gun violence we will have. The ones who drive the demand and thus the massive influx of weaponry are most definitely responsible for gun homicides, wether they pulled (excuse me, squeezed) the trigger themselves or not.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
@dan-o
Ya, and if you reverse the last couple hundred years of socio-economic reality for the two groups, guess what would happen?
So we should just ignore this data on account 'hardship'?
Awesome, our gun violence problem isn't nearly as bad as we thought!

As it's been said on here before, the more guns out there the more gun violence we will have. The ones who drive the demand and thus the massive influx of weaponry are most definitely responsible for gun homicides, wether they pulled (excuse me, squeezed) the trigger themselves or not.
Repeating that bullshit argument doesn't make it true.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@dan-o

You're kind of special aren't you?
It is ALL socio-economic.
Here let me make it really really clear for you.

We are ALL fucking BLACK. We are all African. - Some of us have just been out of the sun a little too long and have lost a bit of colour.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
@dan-o
No shit.
Do you think another magazine capacity law will change that?
Why do we always default to more laws when they don't address the root cause?
Banning soda in NYC had fuck-all impact on obesity because it isn't the fucking problem.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@dan-o

You're kind of special aren't you?
Here let me make it really really clear for you.

We are ALL fucking BLACK. We are all African. - Some of us have just been out of the sun a little too long and have lost a bit of colour.
I disagree with @dan-o, but he deserves credit for bringing data to the table to affirm his position (rightly or wrongly).

I'm sure you could make a data based argument that dissects why the numbers he is quoting don't tell the whole story. Not as fun as lobbing insults, but I'm sure your argument would be much more convincing. :)

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Repeating that bullshit argument doesn't make it true.
Not bullshit, same argument runs parallel to the opioid epidemic. Simple supply and demand. The more junkies you have, the more demand for opioids and thus more drug related crime.

It's really very simple; if there were less guns we would have less gun violence.

You and your white, middle class gun enthusiast friends might feel insulated from this argument because you're responsible gun owners who are less likely to have their weapons stolen, or lost. But not everyone is of the same mindset and likely to get said weapons stolen or shoot someone by accident. But the fact that your demographic drives the demand for production and distribution of firearms makes it inevitable that a lot of those guns end up in the wrong hands. Especially when you consider the absolute absence of common sense gun regulation.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I disagree with @dan-o, but he deserves credit for bringing data to the table to affirm his position (rightly or wrongly).

I'm sure you could make a data based argument that dissects why the numbers he is quoting don't tell the whole story. Not as fun as lobbing insults, but I'm sure your argument would be much more convincing. :)
In simple terms. I am so tired of seeing the same numbers and argument that gets put forward that basically says it is a black problem. Black people are more violent than xxx. My point is simply - bullshit. It is economic, reverse the groups, and the same types of numbers will be seen. In the end there is no deep difference, all human, all "black" and all came from Africa.

If somebody wants to put forth the argument that it is racial in any way, not economic, coupled with your fucking insane country's hard on for weaponry; to make more out of it than that, go ahead, I will just add you to the list of racist gun humpers to ignore. No skin off the end of my dick, it's already gone.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
By taking a commentary from westy about financial position and then just going "but it's the blacks! not us good clean white folk??"

heh

It's definitely whitey along with allah Akbar doing the massive one-offs though. Or in modern terms, the 'lone wolfs' and the 'terrorists' which of course bear no similarity to each other whatsoever.

And let's be real here. To john's point, 233 people killed by cops is way the fuck too many people killed by cops.