Quantcast

Gwins machine Tues Mk3

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
That's nice, but it still uses a totally outdated wheelsize with far inferior roll over characteristics. It's just science bruh.

Gwin will get his ass handed to him as soon as he has to compete on a rocky course.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I think I understand trail bike geometry ok, but geo tables for DH bikes go 100% unnoticed to me. I am such a hack.

Anyways, bike does look sick! Braaaaaaaaaaap

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its definitely nice. Pricing is decent too.

But still, some of the things bike companies write just make me lol or shake my head. :rofl:

Really?
Gwin pointed out a few brands' bikes that look good in the pits, but kooky when they are sitting into the travel, and who wants their bike to look nasty in riding pictures?
I fail to understand this...maybe if the bike lands upside down in some rocks?
Like the previous Tues, the shape of the frame at the Horst link is shaped to protect the derailleur from incoming terrain.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If aesthetics are so damn important, why do the paint jobs looks so crappy and why did they base their rocker design on this?
Yeah, I like the old design much better for the optics. The rocker simply looks wrong with no visible hardware on the drivetrain side.
Paint job is horrible too.

The features are nice, though. For a "dead" market they gave the bike some nice features.
But I think the bike is still too progressive. Maybe not so much if paired with a DHX2 or CCDB coil.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-Rides-the-All-New-YT-TUES-on-the-Losinj-World-Cup-Track,2337

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Meanwhile from Neko's bike check "82psi and 6 tokens in the fork, 170psi and 5 spacers in the shock"
Thinking about it: Do they run that much spacers to get the midstroke support they need?
Would coilsprung suspension with a decent hydraulic bottom out be actually the better option?
I mean pairing one of the most progressive bikes on the market with the largest air can damper there is, must clearly result in a wallowy midstroke, right?
I feel the same about the fork, as the :monkey: told me that their airspring isn‘t too good.
They obviously run insanely fast into stuff and have an active riding style, which benefits from progressive suspension, but I have a feeling that a coilsprung bike with an actually good designed bottom out should be way better and more consistent.

Is Neko actually running the max amount of tokens?!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Kinematics, air or coil, colourway, blah, blah, blah...

Has no one bothered to notice the incredibly small, unrideabru tire hoops? Pretty sure there were several times Gwin came to a complete stop at Losinj because of all the east coast (relative to Socal of course) roxxx. He musta made up a lot of time in the urban section.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thinking about it: Do they run that much spacers to get the midstroke support they need?
Would coilsprung suspension with a decent hydraulic bottom out be actually the better option?
I mean pairing one of the most progressive bikes on the market with the largest air can damper there is, must clearly result in a wallowy midstroke, right?
I feel the same about the fork, as the :monkey: told me that their airspring isn‘t too good.
They obviously run insanely fast into stuff and have an active riding style, which benefits from progressive suspension, but I have a feeling that a coilsprung bike with an actually good designed bottom out should be way better and more consistent.

Is Neko actually running the max amount of tokens?!
Neko often times gets the coil dialed and then tries to see if he can get the air shock running as good or better. He has access to both and runs what he prefers.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
but I have a feeling that a coilsprung bike with an actually good designed bottom out should be way better and more consistent. I feel the same about the fork
The Float X2 is probably actually a good match for a bike that's excessively progressive - the bigger can means that those shocks are fairly linear in the last 2/3 of travel (to the extent that they're not the best choice for trailbikes with flatter or digressive endstrokes). Having a high leverage value and steep curve gradient in the early stroke helps balance the higher initial rate of air too.

Conversely, a coil shock in a frame with excessive progression in the first 1/2 of travel will have a tendency to blow through that portion of the stroke very easily, so this particular air shock is likely a better choice in this frame - especially for a fast/strong rider who would be less affected by body-force transfer, and more affected by chassis stability concerns. Gwin is a prime example of this.

On the fork I think you're right (although he'd need a damn hard spring, Fox used to make custom ones for pros). The 40 Float - even the ones the top WC riders get - has noticeably more friction, even the Boxxer air is substantially better. First 1/3 spring curves are still significantly inferior too (even on the latest Evol / Debonair wankery). Reasons for sticking with air forks in top brands are for ease of bike setup for shops/rentals and simplifying stock for distributor/retailer networks than actual performance.