Quantcast

had my first Guiness last night

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ok, well it was actually a Black Tan, Guiness and Harp.

Guiness impressions: very, very rich. very, very smooth, though. i was surprised. i let my g/f have a sip, and she liked the smoothness of it, but wasn't fond of the taste. i typically finish a Fat Tire before we get our food at this particular restaurant, but that Black Tan...that ain't no chuggin' beer. that's definitely a sipper.

i wasn't too fond of the Harp. i would have rather had a pint of Guiness...that Harp...bleh. they have a Half & Half, also, which i might try next time. Guiness and Bass.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Mixing Guiness with anything is damn near sacreligious! Drink it straight!

The place I had it in New Zealand poured it with a 4 leave clover imprinted into the head.....a nice touch. Best guiness I've ever had, tasted like cream going down. It isn't the best stout, but the fact that you can get the same thing pretty much anywhere in the world is awesome.

The Ito

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Never ask for a Black and Tan in Ireland, you'll either get a very dirty look or a good box to the head. The Black andTans were one evil bunch of bastards, raped, pillaged and plundered.

Anyway back to the DRINK. Bass is no longer on sale in Ireland. Harp is for tourists only as it really tastes like ****e. A B&T is a horrible idea, and mixing a lagar like Harp with stout is just odd. I asume your hacing these drinks in the US???

Anyway you havent had a Guinness until youve had an Irish one.

Later Shams

Slan Abhaile!

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Guiness is the wuss of all stouts and porters. Try a black buet or an obsideian. Now those are good dark beers.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I decided several years ago that I just don't like Guinness. It just seems too "dead" to me.......

Of course, I've pretty much written off stouts in general. I can tolerate them, but I'd much rather have a hoppy-hoppy pale....... :thumb:

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can't drink Guinness all the time, but it's really an excellent beer if you're looking for something smooth and creamy but not bitter. As many have commented, it doesn't have a tremendous amount of taste, but there's just something about it...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you like hoppy beers, guinness ain't yr cup of beer.

and comparing dry irish stouts to full-bodied oatmeal stout varieties isn't exactly apples and apples either.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
guiness isnt an otamel stout is it? anywho i do not like have never liked and will never like guiness. as far as it goes i can think of at least 5 or 6 stouts i would rather indulge in than a guinness, be it here or ireland.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
biggins said:
guiness isnt an otamel stout is it? anywho i do not like have never liked and will never like guiness. as far as it goes i can think of at least 5 or 6 stouts i would rather indulge in than a guinness, be it here or ireland.
no, guinness is not an oatmeal stout.

and i'm curious to see what 5 or 6 other stouts you could actually find in ireland. they've got a stranglehold on the emerald isle's tap systems.

from my recollection you can sometimes find beamish, murphys, and d'arcy's dublin stout (bottles only). oh, and the porterhouse actually made 2-3 really good stouts (their XXXX and oyster stout were really good).

but if you get outside of dublin, you'll never find the d'arcy's or porterhouse stuff.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oh i didnt mean ones in ireland.lol. sorry about the miscommunication. i meant in general.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i do prefer a nice meaty oatmeal stout to guinness, but i do still like guinness quite a bit. still haven't had one since i've moved back though.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That's not a STOUT!!!

THIS is a STOUT!!
http://www.dogfish.com/beer/worldwidestout.cfm

WorldWide Stout
The world's strongest dark beer.
It is brewed using six different yeast strains over seven months and then aged.
Dark, rich, roasty, and complex, World Wide Stout has more in common with a
fine port than a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer
(released November 1 each year... very limited availability).
18+% ABV 80 IBU

Got a bottle at home :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've tried a few of the offbeat brews from dogfish and i'm not convinced. the raison d'etre was definitely not my style, the au currant OK but i can't imagine getting it ever again, and the 120min IPA is an exercise in foolishness. maybe i'll just get the chicory stout and call it even.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
The Chicory Stout is good too..

The Raison d'etre is only good if you are already a fan of Belgain specialty beers.
Never had the 120 IPA.
Wait... it is 21%? DAMN!!

The Midas Touch is interesting too...

The thing I respect most about them is that they brew for the art of brewing/themselves... not for the mass consumer.

Almost all their beers are specialty beers.