Quantcast

Hadley hub drag questions.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
So I broke a pawl inside my Hadley sdh 135 10.0 a couple months back. Hadley was great and sent the pawls, seals and spring. I rebuilt it and did one ride on it. Everything seemed good, but i noticed while it was apart that the bearings were gritty. They're 6 years old anyway.I decided to contact Suzanne at Hadley to get the bearing #. I found a ceramic bearing for a good price and ordered 2. The one in the cassette body I left alone. I screwed up the threads on the non drive side when I went to set the bearings in place. I chased the threads and bought the correct tool to set the "cone" that keeps pressure on the sealed bearings. I set the cone so that there's enough pressure to keep them and the spacer in between them in place. The bearings spin fine and the thread damage was minimal. I greased the bearing in the cassette body and the roller bearing too, but it seemed like too much drag. The chain would slacken while riding. I cleaned the grease out of the bearings in the cassette body and blew it out with an air compressor. I used some light oil and it seemed like there was still some friction, but not nearly as bad as previously. When I rode it, the chain would build up slack when coasting and fall in between the tire and frame still though. I disassembled it tonight and loosened the plastic cone on the drive side a little bit. The drag is gone now and the wheel spins 20 (?) Times freely. But the cranks seem like if you just touch them, they'll start to spin forward with the wheel.

In the stand the wheel spins freely with no drag.
Apart, the bearings pressed in the hub shell spin freely.
Assembled and in hand, the axle spins freely and the cassette body does too.
But while riding the chain builds up slack and falls between the chainstays and the tire. This means that when I go to pedal, I have to do half a revolution to suck up the slack from the chain. Why? What needs to be done ?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
the cassette dragging is from too much preload, I assume? only when the wheel is clamped into the frame?
make sure you didn't snag a seal or something when reassembling the hub. otherwise I'm zero help.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The pawls I put a dab of slick honey on my fingers and rub the pawls so there's a thin film on them so they won't rust up. There's no build up or excess on them. That's what I've done for years. Idk if it's the ceramic bearings (though I don't think it is) or the assembly in the cassette body... Roller bearings, ball bearing, nylon cone.

I'll try loosening the axle a little bit. Thanks

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Thinking about it, it wouldn't be that the axle is too tight. I took the wheel off last night and the axle itself was a little loose. I'll have to loosen the white nylon piece in the cassette body a bit more and see if that helps.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I've never put anything grease based on the pawls, always some sort of oil. From what I understand Hadley only recommends their super slick Teflon based oil. If you've been doing the slick honey thing for years though then it should be fine, unless you put more on them than usual

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Well, it "seems" fixed for now. On Wednesday I disassembled the axle and pulled the cassette body off. Pulled out the roller bearings and spun them, but they were very slow and dragging. Next, I did something that might get me banned from this website, but it completely got rid of the friction and made it spin freely again. I even put a squirting inside the body (not on the pawls) and wiped it out... But I'm not saying what, cause I don't want to get banned. It was my last resort! I swear!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, it "seems" fixed for now. On Wednesday I disassembled the axle and pulled the cassette body off. Pulled out the roller bearings and spun them, but they were very slow and dragging. Next, I did something that might get me banned from this website, but it completely got rid of the friction and made it spin freely again. I even put a squirting inside the body (not on the pawls) and wiped it out... But I'm not saying what, cause I don't want to get banned. It was my last resort! I swear!
if it was triflow then you should open up the bearing and regrease them

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Sunline V1 DH wheels/hubs??
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/776415/

i got the wheelset for $200 the day before a highland weekend, and iv been using them for almost the whole season and they are still true.. just the rear hub has poor engagement
You wouldn't be disappointed with a Hadley rear. My 72poe Hadley is awesome. You can find them used on pbike for relatively cheap. I've gotten one for $150 on there, but i have seen cheaper. You will need to factor in new spokes and a wheel build charge

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
what do you guys think of saint rear hubs? found a pretty good deal on one that already has 6 bolt pattern for rotor... not sure if its M-820 or M-825

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Don't quote me on this but I think Shimano uses loose ball bearings in their hubs, makes for very fast rolling wheels but they constantly need maintenance

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
6 pawls, 72 POE: Koozer hubs from taiwan and it's cheaper. Sold on ebay good reviews.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Hmmm... Support Suzanne and other American workers who make a great product and have GREAT support. Or buy from Taiwan and support Chin Shang Pan and their company and if I have an issue I contact who???

Why have a $3,000 frame and a $1,600 fork but have $100 hubs?

I guess it's an option, but why not support American jobs?

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
:popcorn:

I got a koozer hub for a spare wheel and while it is not as nice as a Hadley, it feels better than most of the big brand hubs. They have new hubs coming up with a star ratchet/clutch that look quite interesting.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Hmmm... Support Suzanne and other American workers who make a great product and have GREAT support. Or buy from Taiwan and support Chin Shang Pan and their company and if I have an issue I contact who???

Why have a $3,000 frame and a $1,600 fork but have $100 hubs?

I guess it's an option, but why not support American jobs?
because i dont have 400 for a rear hub + spokes + rebuild :D