Quantcast

>>>Halfway GMT<<<

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Got in wicked early for a meeting, it took 15 minutes. Oh well, at least I get to leave wicked early and see the rugrats.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Second day in a row where the snow and bad traffic has doubled my commute time. It's currently 15*F with a windchill of 1*F.

Happy winter.

Got in wicked early for a meeting, it took 15 minutes. Oh well, at least I get to leave wicked early and see the rugrats.
wicked story bro :dirol:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
T-2. Spent last night pulling carpet off the stairs to the basement as the blacklight said more cat pee. Painted everything exposed with killz and pending new carpet install tomorrow. In-laws fly in today.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Nothing like seeing the joy on your kids face when you wake them up in the morning to tell them they have no school today. Snow and freezing rain made a mess on the roads and it is gonna drop 15 degrees as the day goes on. Should be a really slick drive home.

I also saw a pick up that high centered itself on a large pine tree that had fallen across the road. Tree was about 24" in diameter and he didn't have the ground clearance. When I drove by, the cop were directing traffic around him and someone had already cut both sides of the tree from either side of the truck. I got a good laugh out of it. Only in Maine.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dare I say this going-on-nine-days cough is finally breaking up, and I actually slept through the night without any coughing fits. I think being able to breathe certainly helped my swim this morning since I was faster than normal.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning! Yesterday's rain failed to dissolve the white stuff on ground and now we're entering five days of deep freeze. Studded tires riding should be on the schedule but I want to install gears on my winter HT first as I am getting too old for SS shenanigans.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Dare I say this going-on-nine-days cough is finally breaking up, and I actually slept through the night without any coughing fits. I think being able to breathe certainly helped my swim this morning since I was faster than normal.
that plague made it around my parts a few weeks ago. all members of my family had it. wife had it for six weeks, daughter for one, microdude for one, and I made it out with only a sore throat. Enjoy!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is today over yet?

I have to be honest, I am bailing on tonight's group ride to go on a date. Its not all bad though, with what the temperature is forecasted to fall to, I don't mind this one time....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I also saw a pick up that high centered itself on a large pine tree that had fallen across the road. Tree was about 24" in diameter and he didn't have the ground clearance. When I drove by, the cop were directing traffic around him and someone had already cut both sides of the tree from either side of the truck. I got a good laugh out of it. Only in Maine.
please tell me it was some jackwagon in a bro-dozer

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Pooped.

Going for beers with an old work colleague today after work. That oughtta help the fatigue...

Starting to get excited to open my kids presents... slot car set and an R/C rock crawler... giggety!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fuck it... wednesday? taking half a day to ride. nice and cold, trails should still be frozen as it's not getting above the mid 20's. giving my new winter pants a flogging as well. beers with some neighbors tonight after the kids are in bed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I honestly can't believe we are only half way through this week, dear baby Jeebus send your thoughts and prayers. I am like 4 days behind on my training bootcamp and need to get caught up. Today is a mellow day, so I should be able to get some stuff done. Ironic that the jorb that made me decide I should do this just sent me an email last night saying they are looking to move forward (3 weeks later, WTF). So I need to get this wrapped up so I can BS my way through the interview. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think Watz may be vacationing in Aruba or somesuch. 53 is the predicted high in my part of Denver.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have also been mapping out house track options. Right now Lil Man has about 60' of track, 2 loops, 8 90 degree turns (one is a turn kicker) 2 180 degree turns and I ordered 2 inline power boosters. So if I use the launcher upstairs on the railing, I can get a few turns in, drop down to the floor, a few more turns then down the stairs, already worked out a loop on the stairs and navigating through the railing and into the front room. If I take it out the front door and down the driveway I can get it to the street on pure gravity, but the boosters will give me some range in the house once I run out of gravity. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have also been mapping out house track options. Right now Lil Man has about 60' of track, 2 loops, 8 90 degree turns (one is a turn kicker) 2 180 degree turns and I ordered 2 inline power boosters. So if I use the launcher upstairs on the railing, I can get a few turns in, drop down to the floor, a few more turns then down the stairs, already worked out a loop on the stairs and navigating through the railing and into the front room. If I take it out the front door and down the driveway I can get it to the street on pure gravity, but the boosters will give me some range in the house once I run out of gravity. :D
hot wheels?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
hot wheels?
Yes sir. Problem is he keeps taking all the "good" cars to his mom's house. So grandpa has had to start his own collection that isn't allowed to leave the house. :rofl:

<edit> Here is a ghetto setup we built this weekend in the front room. I got him the 40' track pack, a 6 pack of turns, the 2 boosters, and the turn kicker for x-mas. I got the Track Builder starter kit for his birthday this summer and we have done a lot with it. But it's time to kick it up a notch.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had bought a "lot" off ebay that ended up being parts from about 3 different kits that didn't really go together. I bought the Track Builder starter kit in a panic after the epic ebay fail. I will likely toss the bulk of the original lot since the 60ish feet he will have now are all current "Track Builder" stuff (special blue snap connectors). My sister got him some Shark Attack or some crap that we will have to integrate into the end of the epic track or something.

<edit>

WTF :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had bought a "lot" off ebay that ended up being parts from about 3 different kits that didn't really go together. I bought the Track Builder starter kit in a panic after the epic ebay fail. I will likely toss the bulk of the original lot since the 60ish feet he will have now are all current "Track Builder" stuff (special blue snap connectors). My sister got him some Shark Attack or some crap that we will have to integrate into the end of the epic track or something.
yea i got him the track builder starter and another kit with loops, but saving the second for his b-day in march. i still have some friends that work at mattel who will hook me up w/ EP.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yea i got him the track builder starter and another kit with loops, but saving the second for his b-day in march. i still have some friends that work at mattel who will hook me up w/ EP.
My major disappointment so far was the lack of available corners/turns. The starter kit comes with the cool banked 180 that can go 135 or 90. But to buy those separate it like $15 each. I was luck to find someone on ebay selling the regular 90's (non banked, though) for 15 for the 6 pack, then the kicker comes with another.

They used to make corner packs and stuff but don't anymore. So you either buy individual pieces for A LOT, or you plan out a few track kits that come with the right parts to make epic integrations. I'll be honest, I spent nearly $100 on this round of track stuff and he should be good minus maybe a few more boosters and a turn or two. :panic:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is also a wicked creepy guy on Youtube that does "track time" where he tests out whole cases of cars on tracks he has built in his house.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My major disappointment so far was the lack of available corners/turns. The starter kit comes with the cool banked 180 that can go 135 or 90. But to buy those separate it like $15 each. I was luck to find someone on ebay selling the regular 90's (non banked, though) for 15 for the 6 pack, then the kicker comes with another.

They used to make corner packs and stuff but don't anymore. So you either buy individual pieces for A LOT, or you plan out a few track kits that come with the right parts to make epic integrations. I'll be honest, I spent nearly $100 on this round of track stuff and he should be good minus maybe a few more boosters and a turn or two. :panic:
yea stuff is expensive these days. but it should be a good time. i'm wondering if my buddy would hook me up with EP on power wheels....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The thing about the Hot Wheels that I love and encourage is the creativity. I mean, if you buy a given track, build it and play with it, that is cool. But if you take all the various parts, take household objects, some painters tape and an afternoon, you can learn a lot about speed, physics, momentum, weight, all sorts of cool stuff. The wife is blown away that he will spend hours adjusting things, making sure you start with enough speed, can carry enough speed, scrub some speed, and ultimately clear the gap of doom. So much better than just watching cartoons or playing Wii. If he isn't outside riding bikes, I want to give him something interesting to play inside.

This is where it started. :rofl:

Then I used duct tape and 2" stakes to make track sections. The Hot Wheels Track Builder setup is WAY easier.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yea stuff is expensive these days. but it should be a good time. i'm wondering if my buddy would hook me up with EP on power wheels....
While I do love the Power Wheels (my buddy got his daughter a matching GT-R, sickness), I just can't justify the price compared to an actual quad or dirt bike. The wife wants him to ride MadDogs quad, but he is a good 3 years out from that. I found a Honda XR50 on CL for $400 and you can get Chineese junk for less than $500 new (50cc-70cc). I got MadDogs first quad for $400 (110cc full auto), she rode it for 5 years with no issues, then I sold it for $350. Her 125cc mid sized was only about $600.

The advantage to the power wheels is you can go to the park and ride, but they are useless on a trail.