Quantcast

>>>Halfway GMT<<<

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The thing about the Hot Wheels that I love and encourage is the creativity. I mean, if you buy a given track, build it and play with it, that is cool. But if you take all the various parts, take household objects, some painters tape and an afternoon, you can learn a lot about speed, physics, momentum, weight, all sorts of cool stuff. The wife is blown away that he will spend hours adjusting things, making sure you start with enough speed, can carry enough speed, scrub some speed, and ultimately clear the gap of doom. So much better than just watching cartoons or playing Wii. If he isn't outside riding bikes, I want to give him something interesting to play inside.

This is where it started. :rofl:

Then I used duct tape and 2" stakes to make track sections. The Hot Wheels Track Builder setup is WAY easier.
this. and legos. dude already has a balance bike and he is getting better and better at it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While I do love the Power Wheels (my buddy got his daughter a matching GT-R, sickness), I just can't justify the price compared to an actual quad or dirt bike. The wife wants him to ride MadDogs quad, but he is a good 3 years out from that. I found a Honda XR50 on CL for $400 and you can get Chineese junk for less than $500 new (50cc-70cc). I got MadDogs first quad for $400 (110cc full auto), she rode it for 5 years with no issues, then I sold it for $350. Her 125cc mid sized was only about $600.

The advantage to the power wheels is you can go to the park and ride, but they are useless on a trail.
i'd have no problem getting the dude a CR50 except for two things:

A) Convincing the wife. because i'd probably wanna get a dirtbike too.
B) somewhere to actually ride the damn thing. can't rip around in our suburban neighborhood. anywhere to *actually* ride it is at least 2 hours away.

he could rip the powerwheels around the yard no problem (we're on half acre or so) and the price wouldn't be outrageous at EP.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yes sir. Problem is he keeps taking all the "good" cars to his mom's house. So grandpa has had to start his own collection that isn't allowed to leave the house. :rofl:

<edit> Here is a ghetto setup we built this weekend in the front room. I got him the 40' track pack, a 6 pack of turns, the 2 boosters, and the turn kicker for x-mas. I got the Track Builder starter kit for his birthday this summer and we have done a lot with it. But it's time to kick it up a notch.

When will the upgrade to electric race tracks take place? I used to love those sets when I was a kid and I loved going to the toy store to buy more cars for them. I always got frustrated when the power wasn't sufficient enough to make two or three sets connected together work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was on a half acre in Forest Grove and build a track in the back yard. She rode that for nearly 2 years before we hit the trails. But the advantage in FG was Browns Camp was 30 minutes to the trailhead. She would also go out to the horse barn and ride it on their property or in the outdoor arena.

Where we are now it's 90 minutes to any OHV and it sucks (yet still worth it). I had my first bike a couple years before I got MadDog her quad and bought the ex her quad, too. She only rode it a couple times and never got out of first. The wife has a full auto 250 that she loves. She actually loves to ride. We did a trip to Sun Valley and took the bikes out in Bend. High speed AND woods, best riding evar. But I will ride Hood River this next year, dammit. I've been on a bike, but never a moto.

My buddy lives on 80+ acres that are half wooded. I told him when he bought the place a few years back we should build a trail system in the woods. That never happened. I don't understand how you could sit on that lot with some minor elevation and woods and NOT want to carve it up on SOMETHING.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When will the upgrade to electric race tracks take place? I used to love those sets when I was a kid and I loved going to the toy store to buy more cars for them. I always got frustrated when the power wasn't sufficient enough to make two or three sets connected together work.
Yeah, I hope the 2 boosters I got will help. The last resort is the booster track kit that comes with 2 MOAR boosters and the cool adjustable loops (do a loop through the stair railing).

I had 1:24 scale slot cars as a kid and enough track to fill grandpas house (grandpa owned a hobby/train shop).

Another bonus is we set up a "chore chart" and when he does all his chores, he can get another car at the store. At a buck a pop, it works out great. He is also now starting to understand what car characteristics translate into track performance based on cars he has now and how each are different. Trucks look cool, but they SUCK on the track. :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i grew up on legos. for some reason my parents saved them all. because they're hoarders or something. but on the upside my kids are gonna start off with a fucking shitload of legos.
my brothers and i had a twelve drawer dresser full of legos growing up.....parents sold it all for 20 bucks at a yardsale.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Work sent us all home early yesterday as the phones/internet got cut by some nearby construction. Spent the time to scope out the kayak I'm picking up for my son's Christmas gift. I think I'm going to get one as well - deal is too good to pass up.

Internet and phones came back online about 20 minutes ago, and the flood of pissy customer's firing shots across the bow is enough to throw me into full FTS mode. We have some delicate snowflakes....they didn't get an answer the very second they hit the send button on the email, so rather than thinking "Hey...maybe there's an issue that I'm not aware of and maybe I'll just be patient and await the response..." we get: "Huuuurrrrrr, Durrrrrr!!!! I'm angry you didn't love me enough....I'm going to bypass reasonable and go straight to inflamed hemorrhoid!!!"

Sheesh. :twitch: :stosh:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> we get: "Huuuurrrrrr, Durrrrrr!!!! I'm angry you didn't love me enough....I'm going to bypass reasonable and go straight to inflamed hemorrhoid!!!"

Sheesh. :twitch: :stosh:
This is primarily due to it being the holidays. Nothing puts the 'Murkan population in a fouler mood than the end-of-year holiday season. We really should give up all that shit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I seem to have a hard time these days keeping track of days and time.. Drove to work today thinking it was Thursday...again. I feel it's either life is a blur, or I have achieved a new level of no-fucks-given...

Offer on our house came in last night, negotiations in progress....

Maybe it's the stress...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i grew up on legos. for some reason my parents saved them all. because they're hoarders or something. but on the upside my kids are gonna start off with a fucking shitload of legos.
Until you step on a pile of them, trying to stumble your way in the dark to the pisser one night after a few too many IPAs. :busted:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
At new Dr office for A routine physical...haven't had one in four years.
They wanna stick a finger up my butt.
First order of business is to make sure you're actually at a Dr.'s office. That happened to me once, and it turns out I was actually at the dentist. Upshot was, I had both cavities filled.

Thanks! Here all week.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just got a cheapo smart phone based boroscope camera. Happy to hook you up for a case or two of beer if you want to DIY.