Quantcast

Hamilton

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
P.S. Let's wait for the Grand Jury testimony to come out.

You can lie all you want, but perjury is a crime.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The American cyclist Tyler Hamilton, the 2004 Olympic gold medalist in the time trial, has voluntarily surrendered his gold medal to the United States Anti-Doping Agency after admitting to doping during his cycling career, the International Olympic Committee said Friday.
Tyler, who supposedly has/had a drinking problem, reminds me of a recovering alcoholic, who is trying to amends for all the screwed up things he did in his life.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Anyone remember the BelieveTyler.Org campaign.....?

His wife pleading with us about how honest he was.
How Tyler would never cheat.
Tyler would go to ends of the earth to clear his name.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
At least the Euros take their suspensions with some grace and honesty.
Yeah, they just don't talk about what they did. IMO most of the guys at the top of the sport, especially stage racers, are dopers. As long as there is money to made by doping, you'll never eradicate it. It's like saying that you'll stop people from cheating on their taxes.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
At least the Euros take their suspensions with some grace and honesty.
Wow. I hope you were being sarcastic with that one.

Anyway, at this point these guys must know that lying to the Feds is a really bad idea. Gorgeous George sacrificed a lot for Lance over the years but I don't think he's willing to go to jail for him.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I wonder what will really come of it. All the guys standing on the podium with Armstrong were dopers, so you can't really give one of them the win. Armstrong already made the point that the Postal sponsorship agreement was made before he joined the team, let alone owned a piece of the team. It'll taint his reputation, but I be that's about it.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I wonder what will really come of it. All the guys standing on the podium with Armstrong were dopers, so you can't really give one of them the win. Armstrong already made the point that the Postal sponsorship agreement was made before he joined the team, let alone owned a piece of the team. It'll taint his reputation, but I be that's about it.
I still think I recall hearing that Lance testified to get a payout on the insurance/book deal. If that's the case, he'll be charged for perjury. I may be wrong though.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Years ago one of my riding buddies gave me Armstrong's book to read, after a few months I gave it back unopened - I don't care how inspirational his story is, there was always something about his personality that I don't like.

Competition in sports is about strength, skill and integrity. Dopers are not honest competitors, its a shame how they ruined the sport of professional cycling. Boo.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Years ago one of my riding buddies gave me Armstrong's book to read, after a few months I gave it back unopened - I don't care how inspirational his story is, there was always something about his personality that I don't like.

Competition in sports is about strength, skill and integrity. Dopers are not honest competitors, its a shame how they ruined the sport of professional cycling. Boo.
Most athletes, regardless the sport, dope at the top levels. Sports are entertainment, and people on dope are entertaining to watch. I still watch old DVDs with Pantani and the '06 Tour with Landis. 180lb linemen in the NFL just wouldn't be as exciting :)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS

You should live right in the center of where he grew up and where he hails now. Many people that I know that know him say he's pretty rough on the edges. I've heard horror stories about his personality. There's really no telling what will actually come from all of this.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
To me sport / competition is not just entertainment in the same way the WWF is not a sport.
I agree, but sport being entertaining is how money is generated. If it wasn't fun to watch, or follow, there wouldn't be any money in it. The NFL recognizes this and has built a huge industry around football. They'll never air their dirty laundry because it's against their financial interests to do so. The difference is that cycling has several main players with competing/different values. Imagine if ASO owned all three grant tours and the teams competing in those tours. There would never be a positive doping test.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i just heard the interview with Hamilton on a local AM radio station. i think it was a 60 Minutes interview. to me he seemed a bit hesitant on answering some of the questions and some sounded like he really didn't know the answer.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The 60 Minutes Interview Story

I wish they had talked less about Lance and more about his own deceptions, but I only read the interview, not watched it.

BTW, I can't say I pay real close attention to European dopers, but two that stand out is David Millar and Filip Meirhaegen. Both were caught, both made confessions, but Millar was a little more sincere (and younger) which is why he is still racing.

I'm sure there are lots of liars when it comes to doping, on both sides of the Atlantic.

One more thing about doping confessions which I call it the Andy Pettitte explanation. When talking with reporters, all you have to do is admit to doping just one time. That means you have taken PED's, which is what they want to know.

You don't have to explain how you committed to regular cycles of a whole host of PED's and exactly how you improved because of them.

Cause taking any PED one time does absolutely nothing except put your entire career at risk. Sorta stupid if taking a PED one time does nothing for you, eh?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
i just heard the interview with Hamilton on a local AM radio station. i think it was a 60 Minutes interview. to me he seemed a bit hesitant on answering some of the questions and some sounded like he really didn't know the answer.
What I thought was interesting is that his statements back up what Landis has been saying. I figured Landis was mostly telling the truth, but I was a bit skeptical of the covered up positive test. Hamilton tells the same story. I want to hear what Roberto Heras has to say and what Hincapie told the Grand Jury.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
They all used to dope and i really don't care.
All the best guys on the planet doped.
But it is interesting watching this all unfold....

I wonder now if there is a mix of dopers and nonDopers and if the "playing field" really is tilted..

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Someone in my office came up to me and said he is convinced Tyler is coming clean now because of his conscience. I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit.

Hamilton (like others, including Hincapie) lied to the media and fans for years. Where was his conscience all those years?

Forget conscience, they are running scared. They've learned from Barry Bonds. They're admitting it now because they are being called to testify before a grand jury. That's it. Hamilton getting on 60 Minutes was just a pre-emptory PR coup.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Lance's massive ego is going to be his downfall. Guy should have spent more time reading Greek mythology and less time chasing down guys in breaks who pointed out that he was spending quality time with Ferrari.

Of course, the entire sport is dirty. Having Amgen sponsor the TOC is just icing on the cake. It's like the Vatican sponsoring a NAMBLA convention, or Pablo Escobar funding DARE programs. The kind of straight up ball it takes to do that is admirable.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lance's massive ego is going to be his downfall. Guy should have spent more time reading Greek mythology and less time chasing down guys in breaks who pointed out that he was spending quality time with Ferrari.

Of course, the entire sport is dirty. Having Amgen sponsor the TOC is just icing on the cake. It's like the Vatican sponsoring a NAMBLA convention, or Pablo Escobar funding DARE programs. The kind of straight up ball it takes to do that is admirable.
:rofl:

they doped. they know it. a lot of cyclists know it. they need to drop the facade.

if they wanna dope, fine. but put 'em in a separate league to compete amongst themselves.