Quantcast

HammerSchmidt on a Downhill Bike?

Princess

Chimp
Jun 7, 2009
Utopia
I've sort of admonished the idea myself (my shop put one on a V-10 the other day), but I was curious about the general consensus of whether or not you should put a Hammerschmidt on a downhill bike.

I ask because I have a Hammerschmidt on a bike that I'm planning on selling. It's currently on a Corsair slopestyle bike that is tons of fun but doesn't really serve enough of a purpose for me to justify keeping it. I got the HammerSchmidt for 200 bucks so I figured, why not?

So, do I leave the Hammer on my Corsair and sell it with the bike or put it on my downhill bike? I've got an Orange 224 with a lower bb, so extra clearance might be nice?

Thoughts? Thanks!

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
Having a much smaller chainring might have a detrimental effect on pedalling and suspension action, most bikes with hammerschmidts seem to be built around them.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My buddy put a HammerSchmidt on his V10 and LOVES it. He says he used the HS more than his rear derailer now.

We just got back from Silver Star, Whistler, and the Shore. There were a ton of guys running the HS on big bikes at Silver Star. We roomed next to a few pro riders and they all had the HS on their Kona Stinkys.

I think the HS on a DH is a great idea and would make it a more fun bike. If you are worried about how the bike pedals stick with a single ring. If you want a DH bike you can ride everywhere get the HS.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I have HS on my new Uzzi FR/DH rig. It kicks ass. As was mentioned above, I use it more than my rear der. There are skeptics, but this thing really works and really changes the way you ride!

Tom

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I have been using hammerschmidt on my AM bike, and there's no way I'd ever put it on my DH bike. It performs phenominally, but the difference in gear ratios is quite profound, to the point where you'd never use it on lift access trails with a race bike like the 224. The only logic behind putting HS on a DH bike would be if you were using it in an up-down application. Otherwise you simply have an expensive set of cranks that will certainly suck to damage when you finally make a mistake and drive it directly into a rock at high speed. (Which lets face it, is much more likely to happen while pounding out 12 lift-access runs in a day as opposed to two per ride in an AM application.) Lastly, I find that I occasionally drag my inner ankle bone across the metal bashring while pedaling out of turns or shifting my weight awkwardly; It would happen significally more if I were only doing descents all day. Although I absolutely love this product and would buy it again in a heartbeat, it simply doesn't make sense for a race bike like the 224 in my opinion.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm thinking the granny ring diameter of the hs would bob like a mofo on a higher pivot bike like the 224 - a design where the optimum chainring diameter is approximately inline with the pivot.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you manually shuttle yourself with the 224, do it. Otherwise sell it with the other bike or separately for more cash. It just doesn't really make much sense on a DH bike. If it had say, 5 or 6 speeds, I'd say keep it and use it, but it doesn't, so you should have plenty of gear ratio with the derailleur. If you have to pedal back up like you would in BC or wherever, the HS could be a serious asset.

As far as the Jedi goes, if you have a high pulley, your chainring diameter doesn't really matter. I've seen a HS on a BMW SlopeWrangler....neat concept for sure.

May 6, 2004
As far as the Jedi goes, if you have a high pulley, your chainring diameter doesn't really matter. I've seen a HS on a BMW SlopeWrangler....neat concept for sure.
I happen to have Jedi. Hammerschmidt you say....... hmm
Maybe I should start thinking about it :lighten:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
HammerSchmidt would NOT fit my Socom. One of the ISCG tabs did NOT line up. The LBS called Intense and Intense told them they had to change one of the tabs due to the pivots on the Socom and that the HammerSchmidt will NOT work on the Socom.

May 6, 2004
HammerSchmidt would NOT fit my Socom. One of the ISCG tabs did NOT line up. The LBS called Intense and Intense told them they had to change one of the tabs due to the pivots on the Socom and that the HammerSchmidt will NOT work on the Socom.

Talk to this guy below, maybe there is a way around it :)

My bro has it on his Socom, and he loves it. He climbs with it too. Downsides are weight and price. And more complicated component than a simple single ring.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I think I got the scoop from Competitive Cycles.

The 07 and early 08 Socom had old ISCG tabs BUT one tab is moved 1/8" because of the pivot location. The late 08s and 09s had 05 ISCG tabs and the HammerSchmidt will work. Im pretty much screwed. They didnt recommend to run the HS with only two bolts.

tatankainlondon ,
Ive talked with cableguy and his bro has an 09 Socom. Thanks though.